Can America do anything right?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laura:) wrote: »
    That America seems to have more arrogant people in it than other countries. I dared to criticise America and I was told I was jealous, which is a very typical response on here (and other sites) from Americans when anyone criticises anything about America.

Who told you you were jealous? Not me - that is not something I believe.

Eleanor Rigby? She's British.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like America's arrogance, that's what made them the most powerful, wealthiest, nation on earth.

They don't need to impress other countries, or pander to a Commonwealth, or look up to a Monarchy, they are their own boss.

We, and the rest of the world should be a bit more grateful to America.

OK, their gun laws are crazy and their complete reliance on unfeasibly cheap petrol is indefensible but hey, nobody's perfect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    mamasan wrote: »
    Never mind - if you don't see it in that film, you aren't going to see it anywhere.

So you're not going to explain then....
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I like France's arrogance, that's what made them the most cultured nation on earth.

They don't need to impress other countries, or pander to a Commonwealth, or look up to a Monarchy, they are their own boss.

We, and the rest of the world should be a bit more grateful to France.

OK, their pop music radio stations are crazy and their complete reliance on unfeasibly affordable wine is indefensible but hey, nobody's perfect.
    Forum Member
    Who told you you were jealous? Not me - that is not something I believe.

Eleanor Rigby? She's British.

She's British?! Even more stupid than I thought then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you're not going to explain then....

You recognised the British stereotypes - the plucky Brits - but not the American one. The President visiting Hugh Grant was the great evil American, trounced by the plucky little Brits, causing great celebration all round.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    I'd offer you some salt for that freedom fry on your shoulder but I can't seem to get any for love nor money at the moment.

Do you have anything to add? :)

I don't consider that I have a chip on my shoulder. I just don't see it as harmless fun - I live here, and it actually affects my life.
    Forum Member
    Do you have anything to add? :)

I don't consider that I have a chip on my shoulder. I just don't see it as harmless fun - I live here, and it actually affects my life.

I was doing the self-deprecating thing, which I suspect you're missing, which is perhaps why you feel so bad about us. You saw a dig at the US, but in fact the salt remark referred to the recent panic buying in the UK.
    Forum Member
    You recognised the British stereotypes - the plucky Brits - but not the American one. The President visiting Hugh Grant was the great evil American, trounced by the plucky little Brits, causing great celebration all round.

Were they not just poking fun at George Bush with that character rather than bringing in a random person who happens to be American and stereotyping them to the hilt so everyone can laugh at them? You know the way The Simpsons constantly does?

Edit- Added something
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was doing the self-deprecating thing, which I suspect you're missing, which is perhaps why you feel so bad about us. You saw a dig at the US, but in fact the salt remark referred to the recent panic buying in the UK.

Oh. I'm pretty sure you were suggesting that I have a chip on my shoulder. I didn't think you were having a dig at the US, but at me :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were they not just poking fun at George Bush with that character rather than bringing in a random person who happens to be American and stereotyping them to the hilt so everyone can laugh at them? You know the way The Simpsons constantly does?

Edit- Added something

George Bush? No - if anyone the character was based on Clinton.

The Simpsons? You think the Simpsons is laughing at other nationalities? The Simpsons is laughing at Americans.
    Forum Member
    Oh. I'm pretty sure you were suggesting that I have a chip on my shoulder. I didn't think you were having a dig at the US, but at me :).

Well, to be fair, I was teasing. I'm being honest and not nasty though. Would you consider the possibility that it's not malice, but mutual incompetence* in understanding the other party that causes problems?

* Napoleon!
  • sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

QUOTE]

I think its France that should be grateful to Britain and America
    Forum Member
    George Bush? No - if anyone the character was based on Clinton.

The Simpsons? You think the Simpsons is laughing at other nationalities? The Simpsons is laughing at Americans.

Silly me, I thought when they went to England and all the characters had bad teeth, the men were weak wimps, and we all drank tea from china cups they were making fun of us. I suppose I must be wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, to be fair, I was teasing. I'm being honest and not nasty though. Would you consider the possibility that it's not malice, but mutual incompetence* in understanding the other party that causes problems?

* Napoleon!

Yes, of course. I don't mind teasing - I just don't want to have missed something in my incompetence :).
  • KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I strongly disagree with this statement, you only have to compare the news coverage in America to that in the UK to see that isn't true. As well as the frequent ridiculing other nations get in American sit coms and films, you don't see that kind of thing over here.

Been trying to think of an American sitcom that ridicules other nations...

Could you point me in the direction, please?
    Forum Member
    sidsgirl wrote: »

Wow! A fresh insight never ever voiced before on the interwebs. I must away awhile to ponder this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly me, I thought when they went to England and all the characters had bad teeth, the men were weak wimps, and we all drank tea from china cups they were making fun of us. I suppose I must be wrong.

Er - the Simpsons laughs at American stereotypes of others. Its target is to poke Americans, not the British (or whoever).

More than anything, the Simpsons is a huge parody of the All American Family, living the American Dream.
    Forum Member
    Kinda wrote: »
    Been trying to think of an American sitcom that ridicules other nations...

Could you point me in the direction, please?

Look back a few posts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

QUOTE]

I don't want France to be grateful to the US. It's not a good way to carry on in relationships, expecting gratitude.
    Forum Member
    Er - the Simpsons laughs at American stereotypes of others. Its target is to poke Americans, not the British (or whoever).

More than anything, the Simpsons is a huge parody of the All American Family, living the American Dream.

What does that say about Americans then?
    Forum Member

I don't want France to be grateful to the US. It's not a good way to carry on in relationships, expecting gratitude.

You both might want to Google "whoooooooooosh!" ...
    Forum Member
    I can't really be arsed to debate this all night tbh, but this does make an interesting read- http://americangenes.blogspot.com/2005/09/are-americans-arrogant.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does that say about Americans then?

It says that they have silly stereotypes of other people. That they can laugh at themselves over it.

What do you think it says about Americans?
    Forum Member
    You both might want to Google "whoooooooooosh!" ...

I actually lol'd then :D