Nano Not Responding to Synch

I got a i-pod Nano for Christmas. When I plugged it into my computer i-tunes just dumped hundreds and hundreds of songs from my Media Player onto my Nano, which was fine. I deleted a lot of songs that I didn't want on my Nano from my i-tunes library list and made some playlists, but when I try to synch it all, it doesn't seem to transferring over to the device.
  • None of my playlists are showing up on the device.
  • None of the new tunes I've downloaded are migrating over to the device.
  • None of the songs I deleted are actually deleted off the device.
  • Lots of songs that are on my Media Player are totally absent on the i-tunes library and I would like them on my Nano.

I've tried synching it over and over in between adding new songs and playlists, but I officially *give up*. I need help.

Is it i-tunes software that is the culpret, am I just completely blonde, or is there something I'm missing? I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to technology, but this little red piece of metal has me beat.

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Man I hate itunes!
    However...

Did you click on the ipod icon in itunes, and is "sync music" checked?
    Perhaps a stupid question, but if that's unchecked it obviously won't sync.
    Also, when itunes built your library, did it ask you to add folders or just scan your hard drive for any media files?
    If the ipod sync tab is checked, what's selected in it: all music/selected artists and playlists etc?

Does itunes see the ipod, and have you ensured it has the up-to-date firmware? And what version of itunes are you running?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info, Trollheart. All of the songs are checked. The version is 1.0.2

I'm not sure about the firmware, but I did download the latest version of i-tunes in January.

When I plug in the device, the top of the i-tunes screen tells me it's syncing, and after a little while, it says it's complete and to eject before disconnecting.

I think I can see why you hate i-Tunes. Is there something else I can use to manage the tunes on my Nano?
    Forum Member
    Yes indeed, you can use Media Monkey, which a lot of people swear by. Very good program, and free.

One thing: when it says Eject, are you ejecting? You know you have to click the little icon to allow it to eject? Often, if you just pull out the USB the data doesn't get transferred over, even though it may look like it has been.

Just a thought.
    But Media Monkey may indeed be your man....
    Forum Member
    Trollheart wrote: »
    One thing: when it says Eject, are you ejecting? You know you have to click the little icon to allow it to eject? Often, if you just pull out the USB the data doesn't get transferred over, even though it may look like it has been.

Here I am again feeling stupid. :o Where is this little eject icon. I've been disconnecting the cable from the tower, then from the device. Maybe you've hit upon where I'm going wrong. I've moused-over everything on the screen. I just know you're going to say the eject icon is this bright neon blinking thing I'm not seeing... LOL Thanks for bearing with me on this, Trollheart. I will be looking into this Media Monkey software. I-Tunes is just not very user-friendly IMO.
    Forum Member
    It's beside the ipod icon, looks like the eject symbol for a CD or DVD player --- basically a triangle with a line under it. It's late now but I'll get a screenshot of it for you tomorrow so you can see where it is.
    And no, it's not made that obvious, so dont feel bad. I had to look for it the first time I ejected...
    Forum Member
    Incidentally, you shouldn't be disconnecting the cable from the tower at all, if by that I take it that you mean you're pulling out the USB plug from the PC? That will sever all connections with itunes and any transfers in progress would be lost.
    You should rarely need to disconnect the cable from the computer, only the ipod from the other end...
    Forum Member
    Thanks again! I hooked up the Nano and after it synced, I clicked the eject symbol. I then disconnected the cable from the Nano instead of taking it from the tower (PC) first. I left the cable connected to the tower, but still no joy. It still hasn't transferred over the new songs, deleted the old songs or transferred the playlists. I have found Media Monkey. I think I'll download it and try again with that.

I know this stupid thing works, because the first time I played with creating a playlist, it transferred over, but now I get nada - zip - nothing. Grrrrrrrrrr This little red piece of metal is making me crazy! I used to own an i-River and it was so easy to sync, but the programme wasn't compatible with my new computer (that was 2 years ago) so that's why I got the Nano. I'm not going to let this beat me. I sure to appreciate your help. Thank you again for all your trouble.

I'll let you know how MM goes after I test drive it. Would it be best to delete i-tunes completely off my computer first? I won't have time to do this until tomorrow most likely.
    Forum Member
    Unless you're major stuck for space, I'd leave itunes for now, just in case. Media Monkey will allow you to select the folders you want to add to your library --- I would probably use the original directory rather than the itunes media one, just in case it's something in there that's causing you problems.

Hopefully it should go ok for you. If not, you may need to think about bringing the ipod back, as it may have developed a fault.

I know what you mean about your previous player: I had a Creative Zen Vision:M, loved (love) it, but wanted a dock/player I could use at home, and every one I looked at was tailored for the ipod. Bought one, bought the player, then started having problems so have gone back to Creative with the new Zen X-Fi. Transferring songs a snap, making playlists easy --- who needs Apple? :)
  • TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Transferring songs a snap, making playlists easy --- who needs Apple? :)

You can do both of those things quite easily in iTunes...
    Forum Member
    The point is, to do either on the ipod you need to use a specific program (and let's not forget that Apple have "locked"the software for the new 5th gens, so virtually no other prog can access it, Media Monkey aside), that prog of course being itunes.

With the Zen, you can just drag and drop from Windows Explorer --- you can't get easier than that!
  • TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point is, to do either on the ipod you need to use a specific program (and let's not forget that Apple have "locked"the software for the new 5th gens, so virtually no other prog can access it, Media Monkey aside), that prog of course being itunes.

With the Zen, you can just drag and drop from Windows Explorer --- you can't get easier than that!

Drag and drop is easy yes. But I also find it easy to sync music to my iPod Touch via iTunes.
    Forum Member
    That's cool. People here know the problems I've had with itunes: I'm just not a fan.
    If it works for you, that's great.
    My life is better without it...