Options

Put legal limits on sugar, salt and fat: Labour

Comments

• Options
    Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's a novel idea...you should tell someone...

and btw the seat belt business was initially an "advisory campaign" as well...in the end they made that compulsory (ditto with cell phone usage)...and whilst promotion of tobacco abstinence has been a "promotional campaign" for donkeys years...year after year it's clearly failing to have the required effect...since year after year new laws are brought in...same with alcohol.

Perhaps there comes a point where preaching or softly softly catchee monkey has its limits?

And perhaps you could explain...what would actually be the harm in requiring reduction of salt and sugar in processed food...if the answer is none or very marginal what's the problem? :confused:

It denies people the right to choose the foods that they like and are used to. 'It wouldn't do any harm' is not a valid reason to ban something. It wouldn't do any harm to ban Eastenders, it wouldn't do any harm to ban salt and vinegar crisps (soon to be vinegar crisps).

I eat a lot of processed food mainly cos I can't really cook due to disability. I do however try to balance this out by eating a lot of fresh fruit and veg and drinking mainly water. So my diet is partly choice and partly circumstance. There are plenty of low fat and low salt options available but I personally resent the meals becoming any blander than they are already. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the voluntary regulation (bullying) has actually worked. If I made the meals myself they'd probably end up more rich and salty than the ready meals, the same is true of celebrity chef recipes.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, considering the number of additives that are still found in many processed foods does it matter?

Many types of sweeteners are added to foodstuffs - they are additives in my book.

My point was that if it was added to food then its not necessarily a foodstuff in its own right.

Watcher #1 wrote: »
    ... However, it is entirely possible to include ANY foodstuff in a healthy diet/lifestyle, and this is where the focus should be, not on demonising certain foods. A balanced diet ( not too much of any one thing) and regular exercise is what should be being promoted.

^^^ Foodstuffs
    Incorrect. There are many food additives, widely used in previous decades, that are banned and have been for some time.

^^^ Food additives
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    Duncan J wrote: »
    It denies people the right to choose the foods that they like and are used to. 'It wouldn't do any harm' is not a valid reason to ban something. It wouldn't do any harm to ban Eastenders, it wouldn't do any harm to ban salt and vinegar crisps (soon to be vinegar crisps).

I remember the days when the salt in a packet of crisps came in a little paper twist, so was optional :)
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know people here have to toe the party line on this, but I think you'll have a tough job convincing people that sugar, salt and fat are on par with guns and they shouldn't be allowed to eat foods that some tame expert has deemed unhealthy.

Does anyone actually believe a bowl of Frosties causes obesity? :D This is more about being seen to do something more than anything. In terms of diet and nutrition I doubt one size fits all anyway. What would cause one person problems, another would be perfectly fine eating.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Put legal limits on sugar, salt and fat: Labour

They had 13 wasted years in office 1997-2010 - why did they not do this then? Whether it's by voluntary or statutory means, there is a nutritional case for limiting the amount of salt, sugar and fats in processed foods especially when it comes to foods that are marketed at children and this is an area where any government needs to do better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jassi wrote: »
    I remember the days when the salt in a packet of crisps came in a little paper twist, so was optional :)

You can still get them, Salt n Shake. Made by Walkers though.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    Well that's a novel idea...you should tell someone...

and btw the seat belt business was initially an "advisory campaign" as well...in the end they made that compulsory (ditto with cell phone usage)...and whilst promotion of tobacco abstinence has been a "promotional campaign" for donkeys years...year after year it's clearly failing to have the required effect...since year after year new laws are brought in...same with alcohol.

Perhaps there comes a point where preaching or softly softly catchee monkey has its limits?

And perhaps you could explain...what would actually be the harm in requiring reduction of salt and sugar in processed food...if the answer is none or very marginal what's the problem? :confused:

The difference being that there is no benefit to smoking/not wearing a seatbelt/having lead in petrol that can be mitigated through balance; and also, a level of salt and fat is a requirement of a healthy diet (minerals and fat soluable vitamins).

Foods are not challenged on the amount of salt or fat they add to the national diet, but because it is easier to point at these things as being bad without understanding a wider, more holistic view is required. Eating nothing but apples would make you ill too, just in a different way from a diet of Mars Bars and crisps
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    Incorrect. There are many food additives, widely used in previous decades, that are banned and have been for some time.

Do you think food manufacturers should be allowed to use them once more?

Additives may or may not be foodstuffs. Vitamin C has an E-number after all (as does the colour from carrots).

Those that have been banned (and the bans vary across the world) have been shown to be unsafe, and therefore removed. Salt and fat are required in a typical diet, so the focus must be on the whole diet and not individual foods, and on those foods that contribute the most to over consumption of the things we should try to limit (for example, salty snacks don't contribute nearly as much salt to the national diet as you think - self addition, bread, soup, cereal for example are far worse)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    Labour has urged the government to consider introducing legal limits on sugar, salt and fat-content in food.

Shadow health secretary Andy Burnham says the government's response - working with industry through its Responsibility Deal - has been complacent. "It is clear that the current voluntary approach is not working. We need to open our minds to new approaches in tackling child obesity."

He says it is time for "new thinking" on how to tackle child obesity. "Labour wants to lead this debate. That is why we are asking the public and experts if new limits for sugar, fats and salts would be the right approach."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20914685

I am not sure how practical this is, and if it's looking at the problem in the right way. While there is a clear problem with obesity, how can "banning" foods be the way forward?

... er the line in the articles says:

"Labour wants to lead this debate. That is why we are asking the public and experts if new limits for sugar, fats and salts would be the right approach."

You say:
    "Put legal limits on sugar, salt and fat: Labour"

Quite misleading, and therefore not worth a response.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Additives may or may not be foodstuffs. Vitamin C has an E-number after all (as does the colour from carrots).

Those that have been banned (and the bans vary across the world) have been shown to be unsafe, and therefore removed. Salt and fat are required in a typical diet, so the focus must be on the whole diet and not individual foods, and on those foods that contribute the most to over consumption of the things we should try to limit (for example, salty snacks don't contribute nearly as much salt to the national diet as you think - self addition, bread, soup, cereal for example are far worse)

Sugar is added to processed food to sweeten it - in that sense it is an additive, just like artificial sweeteners.

The principle of limiting harmful quantities of additives (or banning them completely in some cases) has long been accepted by society.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

"Labour wants to lead this debate. That is why we are asking the public and experts if new limits for sugar, fats and salts would be the right approach."

You say:

And as I have stated, these consultations, whether conducted by Labour or Conservative governments, nearly always end in the most illiberal option. Therefore it is quite easy to prejudge the outcome.

Many think corporate power is the strongest influence in politics. I disagree - it is politicians' egos. Tobacco is a big industry but it doesn't stop new anti-smoking laws being introduced every six months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    The new Labour policy of banning Coco-Pops and Frosties (snigger) and 'Fatty Foods' will of course go down like a barrel of cold sick in Doncaster. A seat held by a certain Ed Silliband. Where it was discovered it was the UK's fattest constituency!!! Conservative gain in 2015- Coco-Pops or Silly Milly! I wonder if 'Tony the Tiger' will stand as well:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MizManiac wrote: »
    The new Labour policy of banning Coco-Pops and Frosties (snigger) and 'Fatty Foods' will of course go down like a barrel of cold sick in Doncaster. A seat held by a certain Ed Silliband. Where it was discovered it was the UK's fattest constituency!!! Conservative gain in 2015- Coco-Pops or Silly Milly! I wonder if 'Tony the Tiger' will stand as well:D

What policy?:confused:
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote:
    ... However, it is entirely possible to include ANY foodstuff in a healthy diet/lifestyle

I get the feeling that the idea behind that statement was something like you could even have a Big Mac and Fries, as part of a healthy diet/lifestyle, as long as you didn't eat them too often.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What policy?:confused:

That could be argued about Labour policy on ANYTHING. Where is Burnham btw- has he vanished? He's not been on telly lately. I wonder why....
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should look into whether it is sugar that is causing obesity in children or whether it is something else that is added to food that is causing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That could be argued about Labour policy on ANYTHING. Where is Burnham btw- has he vanished? He's not been on telly lately. I wonder why....

Maybe he is sick of some people completely misinterpreting his statements.......
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

You say:

Thank you for highlighting that aspect, Welsh-lad. My own view is that this matter should be informed by academic experts and published research which should then lead to recommendations for government to implement by either voluntary or statutory means.

[QUOTE=MizManiac;63392443]The new Labour policy of banning Coco-Pops and Frosties (snigger) and 'Fatty Foods' will of course go down like a barrel of cold sick in Doncaster. A seat held by a certain Ed Silliband. Where it was discovered it was the UK's fattest constituency!!! Conservative gain in 2015- Coco-Pops or Silly Milly! I wonder if 'Tony the Tiger' will stand as well:D[/QUOTE]

It's not a question of banning Coco Pops or Frosties - it is just reducing the processed sugar content of these breakfast cereals so that they are healthier to consume.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You kept a stock of all the blue smarties didn't you. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You say:

I also pointed that out at the beginning of the thread Welsh-lad but it seems no matter how many times it's said, some posters just can't understand it. :(
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well considering he was on Sky News yesterday I'm not sure what you're talking about.

http://news.sky.com/story/1033676/burnham-high-sugar-cereals-should-be-banned

Unless of course you want to see him on TV everyday :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe he is sick of some people completely misinterpreting his statements.......

Hilarious. Burnham has never EVER misinterpreted (however innocently) ANY government minister has said. Pot. Kettle. Black.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    I also pointed that out at the beginning of the thread Welsh-lad but it seems no matter how many times it's said, some posters just can't understand it. :(

Aww why so sad? :cry:

Do let us know when you've decided if a legal limit is something you'd support.... the key point was highlighted above, should this be something that is implemented voluntarily or should it be statutory? I have already stated my view and it's quiet obvious that Labour would not have floated this idea if they didn't believe it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WindWalker wrote: »
    You kept a stock of all the blue smarties didn't you. ;)

Blue smarties are crimes against nature! I'm old school- no blue smarties in 't 70's and 80's:D Mind you, I might consider stockpiling Coco-Pops if Labour have their way:D What will they come up with next? I can't wait.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didd-bloody-ums. When politicians say 'let's have a debate', they've made up their minds. Cut through the spin.