Glee: Will they re-cast Finn?

Comments

• Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grief is a funny thing - throwing herself into Glee might be a blessing in disguise for Lea. Personally I think it would be a disservice to the work Cory put into Finn just to write him out. I'd like them to have Finn go off to college to get a teaching degree, which would explain his absence for a while.

But, as an issue lead show intent on introducing a number of topics (and responses) to its young audience, it would be a disservice to not kill Finn off. Everyone knows what has happened and fans of Cory and Finn need a way in which they can say goodbye to the man and the character.

It would be hard, but at some point Lea will be strong enough to address such an episode. Such an episode would have such a brutal truth to it that it would be a fitting tribute to the character and actor.

I know the circumstances a lot different in that Cory died far, far too young, but there is a precedence for killing characters off on screen once their actors have passed away, and paying real tribute to them. I just think that by not addressing this directly on Glee is somewhat disrespectful to the amount of work Cory put into the character, the love the fans had for him, and the love the cast and crew had for him too.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Menime123 wrote: »
    Grief is a funny thing - throwing herself into Glee might be a blessing in disguise for Lea. Personally I think it would be a disservice to the work Cory put into Finn just to write him out. I'd like them to have Finn go off to college to get a teaching degree, which would explain his absence for a while.

But, as an issue lead show intent on introducing a number of topics (and responses) to its young audience, it would be a disservice to not kill Finn off. Everyone knows what has happened and fans of Cory and Finn need a way in which they can say goodbye to the man and the character.

It would be hard, but at some point Lea will be strong enough to address such an episode. Such an episode would have such a brutal truth to it that it would be a fitting tribute to the character and actor.

I know the circumstances a lot different in that Cory died far, far too young, but there is a precedence for killing characters off on screen once their actors have passed away, and paying real tribute to them. I just think that by not addressing this directly on Glee is somewhat disrespectful to the amount of work Cory put into the character, the love the fans had for him, and the love the cast and crew had for him too.

Another good point well made. Glee is a show which doesn't shy away from the tough situations and controversial issues and I would hope that, no matter how difficult, somehow Cory's death is addressed on screen even if it doesn't involve any of the main cast members being directly featured in the scenes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon Glee will do an on screen tribute. They aren't afraid.

However I think this is truly the end of the show. Things will never be the same again. Even though it was confirmed, I can't see that sixth season anymore or even full fith season.
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,513
    Forum Member
    They couldn't recast him. I don't think the fans would accept it and I'm sure his castmates wouldn't be too happy either.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    samy1014 wrote: »
    I reckon Glee will do an on screen tribute. They aren't afraid.

However I think this is truly the end of the show. Things will never be the same again. Even though it was confirmed, I can't see that sixth season anymore or even full fith season.

I think Season 5 will still happen, because contracts have been signed, pre-production has been underway for a while, and production was supposed to start next week. However, this will certainly be the last season IMO. If Lea Michele also leaves then without question, the show should end after a season of wrapping everything up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    I think Season 5 will still happen, because contracts have been signed, pre-production has been underway for a while, and production was supposed to start next week. However, this will certainly be the last season IMO. If Lea Michele also leaves then without question, the show should end after a season of wrapping everything up.

I agree - I think that they will use Season 5 as a chance to say Goodbye to Cory.

Instead of the usuall 24 episodes - maybe have a shorter season.

Then if Lea chooses to leave (which lets be honest - no one could question her over it), then I think it should end there.

The show was always about Finn and Rachel - without either if them in it, it would feel a bit empty.

It is going to be difficult for all of them - cast, crew etc.

When you read interviews, I always got the impression that Cory was loved by pretty much all of the cast.....Was it Dianna Agron who was asked what made Glee (or what she liked best) and she said 'Cory Monteith'.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    film_fan wrote: »

The show was always about Finn and Rachel - without either if them in it, it would feel a bit empty.
    '.

The show was not just always about Finn and Rachel.

The same could be said for Kurt if we are going to say it about anything.

It is called Glee, and is about a Glee club.

I've never missed Finn or Rachel when they are not in an episode. At best their episode are all 'Me, Me, Me'.

One of the main problems with Glee is that it has been inconsistent in giving equal time to all the members of the Glee club.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never missed Finn or Rachel when they are not in an episode. At best their episode are all 'Me, Me, Me'.

One of the main problems with Glee is that it has been inconsistent in giving equal time to all the members of the Glee club.

There's absolutely no need for this post at all. I couldn't care less about whether or not you missed Rachel and Finn when they weren't in an episode, this thread is about the impact of the death of Cory Monteith on the show not about which characters are the "stars of the show".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    There's absolutely no need for this post at all. I couldn't care less about whether or not you missed Rachel and Finn when they weren't in an episode, this thread is about the impact of the death of Cory Monteith on the show not about which characters are the "stars of the show".

Oh please.

I was replying to a post, if you don't like it don't read.

There was absolutely NO need for your post at all.
  • puppylove7puppylove7 Posts: 66,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh please.

I was replying to a post, if you don't like it don't read.

There was absolutely NO need for your post at all.

You could have been a bit more sensitive given what's happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    puppylove7 wrote: »
    You could have been a bit more sensitive giving what's happened.

Or other people can stop being over sensitive.

My reply was not insensitive in context of the post I was replying to.

Glee is NOT Finn and Rachel.
    And I think people do the show and the other actors in the show an injustice saying so.
  • puppylove7puppylove7 Posts: 66,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or other people can stop being over sensitive.

My reply was not insensitive in context of the post I was replying to.

Glee is NOT Finn and Rachel.

That's fine. You're entitled to an opinion of course but considering this is talking about Cory, it's not very sensitive.

And I'm sure the other actors in the show would be saying that Cory made the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    puppylove7 wrote: »
    That's fine. You're entitled to an opinion of course but considering this is talking about Cory, it's not very sensitive.

The title is 'Will they recast Finn'.

It is not about Cory. It is about the show and the character Finn.

I'm sure no actor (unless they are truly ego centric) wants a show to finish if they die.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think they should write an off screen death for Finn and we can have another funeral episode like they had for Sue's sister.

I wonder what Finn's song would be?

It also shows how unpredictable life can be when it has been Burt who has been at risk of dying for the last 2 seasons (heart attack and cancer).
    Forum Member

I never said it was always JUST about Rachel and Finn.

But lets be honest they are integral to the show, and they always have a storyline which is carried through out the show.

E.g Series 1 - it was a build up to them getting together.

Series 2 - They broke up, then eventually got back together.

Series 3 - Planning a wedding, then Finn letting Rachel go

Series 4 - Their 'break up', Finn wanting her back and then defending her etc

So in my eyes - they are central to the show.

I also like their characters - and as silly as it sounds always wanted them to have a happy ending, and will really miss Cory not being in the show any more.

I know its about the entire Glee Club and I completely agree with your comment that some of the other cast members haven't had enough screen time.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this is mine :)
    Forum Member
    I wonder what Finn's song would be?

You now have me wondering what his song would be.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    They'll probably write him out. Maybe he'll finally join the army and follow in his father's footsteps or maybe they'll get right to the bone and kill him off.

Too many celebs die young these days :/http://buzzsauce.co.uk/showbiz/20-celebrities-who-died-too-young/
  • Vicks-LouiseVicks-Louise Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone is saying it would be wrong to kill him off - I don't think so I think sending him off into the unknown is wrong.

I understand where your hearts lie - lea might not be able to cope with a Finn death - but why does a Finn death mean lea has to suffer through it? Death is the best thing they can do out of respect for Cory - lea would know that, but surely if she says to Ryan or someone sorry but I can't go there they can work round it - say Finn died on a holiday (Rachel not with him) she goes out to where ever he was when it happened and her absence is explained as she feels like she needs to be close to Finn in the last place he was - meanwhile we see the aftermath and effects the news has at the school - that way lea hasn't got to be there if she can't deal with that and Cory still gets the best and most respectful onscreen send off glee can give him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

"Don't Stop Believing" might be a bit too cliched.

I can't remember a stand out song he has sung.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think killing the character off would be the only fitting ending for him. It worked extremely well in 8 Simple Rules when John Ritter passed away, they were always very respectful and it felt like the right approach to handling the decision. Only the death of a character can allow them to pay a fitting tribute to the actor.

Obviously this situation is slightly different given Monteith's relationship with Lea Michele but I still feel it would be the most appropriate way to handling it should Lea feel up to the task.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    Will all due respect , why was a 31 year old man still in High School?
    He wasn't.

You seem to be confusing Cory Monteith, a 31 year old actor (who played truant from over a dozen schools but left his last school at age 16) with Finn Hudson, the High School aged fictional character Cory played in the TV series Glee.

Surely you have encountered actors playing roles of different ages to their real age before? Robert Pattinson isn't really 95 you know.
  • lovetochatlovetochat Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course they won't recast Finn, that would be as ridiculous and disrespectful as recasting JR when Larry Hagman died.

As the Dallas situation showed, when Larry Hagman died, they will find a way around it which befits the character, the actor and the much loved friends and cast members left behind.
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    lovetochat wrote: »
    Of course they won't recast Finn, that would be as ridiculous and disrespectful as recasting JR when Larry Hagman died.

As the Dallas situation showed, when Larry Hagman died, they will find a way around it which befits the character, the actor and the much loved friends and cast members left behind.

I was thinking the same there, that IF the show were to continue, this is how they would bring some kind of closure. Re-casting is absolutely out of the question.

It's hard enough thinking about the show's past now, let alone its future
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For me Finn's song will always be Jessie's Girl. For Finn and Rachel together it's Journey's Faithfully.

For Cory Monteith probably Peter Gabriel's I Grieve.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they need to address what happened but definitely not recast him. Poor Corey and lea.