Options

Has anyone experienced this.....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
Forum Member
Evening all,

Recently when turn the channel over on to a BBC station I seem to be getting another station pop up after a few moments of the correct station showing.

Example - I turn over to cebbies for my littlings to watch, I went away for not even a minute to find a frozen picture of another channel on the screen. Its a bit worrying as the picture was quite scary for a toddler.

It also happened tonight with the one show, I was watching it ok, the show switched to a different segment but then started showing a american lady talking about something, I flicked the channel up and back down and the one show reappeared to the previous segment. I then was curious to what station it had shown and flicked through all the channels but found nothing simular on.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, as am worried one day it could go to something very inappropriate while my children are watching it.

I have a Samsung smart hd tv in the rowridge area if that helps.

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    When was the last time you did a full retune?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply, last retune was for dave ja vu the other month.
  • Options
    EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    funnyface wrote: »
    Evening all,

Recently when turn the channel over on to a BBC station I seem to be getting another station pop up after a few moments of the correct station showing.

I have had a similar problem occur on a Humax PVR once or twice.
    Usually it has been - turn to BBC News, after a few seconds it changes to BBC Parliament. It seemed to me that (as usual) the problem occurred when the "Press Red" icon should appear. The only way I could get back to normal was a full rescan.
  • Options
    dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been having this sort of problem recently. I'm not sure if it is specifically related to BBC channels but it when I switch on TV and BT-YV together all seems OK to start with then picture changes to some other channel and does not respond to remote control although the channel display changes on the BT-YV. Wondering if it is more to do with the Samsung TV rather than the BT-YV box. After reading the previous few comments I did a retune as it hadn't been done since Sept. but it's not made any difference. Tonight when I switched on it happened again. I switched off the BT-YV box and the picture on the screen froze and I could only turn off TV and start again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks to you both for sharing, nice to know others have experienced this. I will try another rescan. The odd thing is its only just started happening since the last rescan in November. Thought it might be something to do with local station set ups as Southampton local is due to start soon!
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest depowering the box waiting say 5 mins and then restarting it .
  • Options
    abn0038abn0038 Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Evening all,

Example - I turn over to cebbies for my littlings to watch, I went away for not even a minute to find a frozen picture of another channel on the screen. Its a bit worrying as the picture was quite scary for a toddler.

It also happened tonight with the one show, I was watching it ok, the show switched to a different segment but then started showing a american lady talking about something, I flicked the channel up and back down and the one show reappeared to the previous segment. I then was curious to what station it had shown and flicked through all the channels but found nothing simular on.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, as am worried one day it could go to something very inappropriate while my children are watching it.

I think it must be a Freeview problem as it doesn't seem to be a location or Hardware related problem and has only happened since last rescan.
    Samsung smartTV via Durris (NE Scotland) transmitter.
    Will try a full rescan to see if it helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone had this happen who HASN'T got a Samsung Smart TV? Seems to be a trend here.
  • Options
    EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    dachse wrote: »
    Has anyone had this happen who HASN'T got a Samsung Smart TV? Seems to be a trend here.
    EEPhil wrote: »
    I have had a similar problem occur on a Humax PVR once or twice.

I think that answers your question!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have proved to myself this morning that it is a Samsung Smart TV problem and NOT the BT YV box.
    Turned on TV and put disc in my old Sony DVD recorder and it did the same thing. BT YV box was switched off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EEPhil wrote: »
    I think that answers your question!

Don't think so - see my previous post. (#11)

EEPhil - do you have a Samsung TV connected to the humax PVR?
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    My mum said this happened once, we put it down to disconnecting one of the aerial distribution box output leads (we were wiring satellite and network sockets behind the TV and extra mains to the outdoor lights) but maybe it was just the Samsung smart TV.
    Haven`t seen it happen again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK
    So its after 2am the Sammy is in standby mode and suddenly I hear sound coming from it, its sounds like a TV station but who knows, I grab the remote - (blank screen) TV will not respond to any commands - eventually after several minutes BBC One appears on the screen - weird- put Sammy back into standby.

Thinking that the Sammy may have turned itself on to look for updates I start looking through the Menu items to see if it does this at 2am when the picture goes blank and the moments later I'm seeing a poor quality [blocky] video of a Behind the Scenes look at the film "LUCY".

Thinking it be a problem with the Sammy being connected to the internet, specifically via wifi?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abn0038 wrote: »
    OK
    .....when the picture goes blank and the moments later I'm seeing a poor quality [blocky] video of a Behind the Scenes look at the film "LUCY"./QUOTE]

Yeah - I think that was what was showing on mine as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    abn0038 wrote: »
    OK
    .....when the picture goes blank and the moments later I'm seeing a poor quality [blocky] video of a Behind the Scenes look at the film "LUCY"./QUOTE]

Yeah - I think that was what was showing on mine as well.

I've been told that last night wasn't the first time sound started coming from the TV, family member who came down stairs to walk off nighttime leg cramp said the same thing happen a couple of nights before.

Obviously doing a full rescan didn’t sort out the channel changing problems, need Samsung to update firmware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This obviously isn't a Freeview problem and so shouldn't really be in this section. How do threads get moved to the correct location?
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This obviously isn't a Freeview problem and so shouldn't really be in this section. How do threads get moved to the correct location?
    Well it should probably be in the Terrestrial/Technical forum but an awful lot of stuff gets posted in Terrestrial/Freeview that should be in Technical and it rarely gets moved. It's more relevant than some of the stuff that gets posted here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Since posting this thread I have completed a firmware update and it seems to have fixed the issue and would suggest others to do the same. Thank you for everyones input and advice.

On a final side note the original point of me asking/posting this thread this was to see if it was a Freeview problem because of the timing of the last retune and this fault. So get of you're high-horse and move on so the thread will drop off by itself and stop stringing it out with personal views just as I will after posting this!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since posting this thread I have completed a firmware update and it seems to have fixed the issue and would suggest others to do the same. Thank you for everyones input and advice.

On a final side note the original point of me asking/posting this thread this was to see if it was a Freeview problem because of the timing of the last retune and this fault. So get of you're high-horse and move on so the thread will drop off by itself and stop stringing it out with personal views just as I will after posting this!

:confused: Was that attitude really necessary after my simple observation and question? :o
    My point being that if it is a Samsung issue and not Freeview then perhaps others may have the same questions in the right thread location. I was not in any way criticising your original placing of this thread in the Freeview section.

By the way - I'm still getting this problem even though my TVs firmware is fully up to date.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What version of the Firmware are you on now?