Options

Official Snooker Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible comeback by Trump to win five in a row to prevail 6-5. Heartbreaker for Gouldy, shades of losing from 11-5 to Robbo in the 2010 WC, same ref 'n' all....
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has been on all week. In fact he has been on quite a bit lately with the seniors and the shootout, and of course the Championship League. Still very busy.

has there been a televised game that he hasn't done? I remember a few days ago, Judd Trump finished about 6:45pm (and he did commentate on that one), he was on the O'Sullivan game at 7pm, then was doing the game that followed afterwards too! not sure if he was on the 1pm game that day as well or not.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shot with the rest from Ronnie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ the levitated rest shot, you don't see that very often!
    clarky323 wrote: »
    has there been a televised game that he hasn't done? I remember a few days ago, Judd Trump finished about 6:45pm (and he did commentate on that one), he was on the O'Sullivan game at 7pm, then was doing the game that followed afterwards too! not sure if he was on the 1pm game that day as well or not.
    I've not seen every match in the afternoon through work but I'm pretty sure it's been CE and either Angles or Fouldsy throughout so I'm fairly certain you're right
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ the levitated rest shot, you don't see that very often!
    I've not seen every match in the afternoon through work but I'm pretty sure it's been CE and either Angles or Fouldsy throughout so I'm fairly certain you're right

I think he has done them all
  • Options
    zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-0 to Ronnie O'Sullivan and Stuart Bingham missing an easy red in the fifth. This could be over very quickly indeed.

It always seems to me that Bingham crumbles when he plays O'Sullivan for some reason..
  • Options
    BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bit of a sickener for Bingham that frame
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5-0 now, don't think we'll see the second comeback of the day somehow!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might be alone in this but I haven't enjoyed this tournament. Probably being spoiled with things like the Gdynia Open etc with a real good atmosphere yet this seems pretty dull to me. Zaw can obviously put me straight on that but I cannot say it has been a vintage week of snooker entertainment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder what the ITV4 equivalent of Coast is? Minder On The Orient Express?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6-0 is hardly a fair reflection, Bingham could have won each of the last two, but Ronnie will be pleased to have an early night!
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judd facing Ronnie again he must be gutted, he has a hard time beating Ronnie in big finals lately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judd facing Ronnie again he must be gutted, he has a hard time beating Ronnie in big finals lately.

Trump's got a decent H2H v Ronnie but significantly has never beaten him in a two session plus match
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zaw can obviously put me straight on that but I cannot say it has been a vintage week of snooker entertainment

I can but try. Certainly Judd Trump's final black win over Mark Williams last night was a great match for a best of 7 frame - as was Mark Davis overcoming Neil Robertson from 3-1 down. I think because of the short time span and attempting to accommodate 32 players in a six day tournament you are going to have some hit and miss matches now and then.

Certainly the crowd were a good knowledgeable bunch when I went and were keeping quiet when shots were played - no mobiles were going off, no idiots shouting out, no people laden with beer a la the Shoot Out. That has to be a good thing in my eyes.

The players have said that they really like the venue and the way the tables were playing so I would hope it has a good few years in it and that maybe if necessary tweaks can be made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zawtowers wrote: »
    I can but try. Certainly Judd Trump's final black win over Mark Williams last night was a great match for a best of 7 frame - as was Mark Davis overcoming Neil Robertson from 3-1 down. I think because of the short time span and attempting to accommodate 32 players in a six day tournament you are going to have some hit and miss matches now and then.

Certainly the crowd were a good knowledgeable bunch when I went and were keeping quiet when shots were played - no mobiles were going off, no idiots shouting out, no people laden with beer a la the Shoot Out. That has to be a good thing in my eyes.

The players have said that they really like the venue and the way the tables were playing so I would hope it has a good few years in it and that maybe if necessary tweaks can be made.

Ticket sales must be a concern for them. Yesterday during the first two quarter finals they were advertising that tickets were still available for the evening matches. Now baring in mind they featured Judd and Ronnie that must be a concern.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trump's got a decent H2H v Ronnie but significantly has never beaten him in a two session plus match

Never knew that, interesting stat that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ticket sales must be a concern for them. Yesterday during the first two quarter finals they were advertising that tickets were still available for the evening matches. Now baring in mind they featured Judd and Ronnie that must be a concern.
    To be fair they also had to put 75 extra seats in for one of the evenings - think it was last night actually
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair they also had to put 75 extra seats in for one of the evenings - think it was last night actually

how come ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how come ?

To meet ticket demand - Clive Everton said so at the top of the show. Pretty certain it was last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To meet ticket demand - Clive Everton said so at the top of the show. Pretty certain it was last night.

It was.

What they did to sort the demand out is where the rows of seats were behind the players, they were able to annex a few on at the far right hand end (this is where the other table would have been) but in a diagonal formation, so that you could still see the table without an obstructed view. (I could see this yesterday)

In the original plan these would have been a straight line down probably level with the edge of the right hand seating.

Bear in mind also that Llandudno isn't a big city, and as such getting last trains / transport back home isn't as easy if you wanted to stay and watch the evening session without a hotel stopover. Last train back from the station is 2145 which would have been okay for tonight's semi, but definitely not the rest of the week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I really do guess I am on my own in not raving about this week then ?
  • Options
    Suitcase BeraoSuitcase Berao Posts: 6,078
    Forum Member
    I think he has done them all
    He has. Foulds and McManus alternate from commentating and being in the studio, whilst Clive has commentated on every televised match.

I've been very impressed with Rob Walker these past two days; knowledgeable, well researched, fully prepared and much better than Jill who comes across as though she has little interest in the sport.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has. Foulds and McManus alternate from commentating and being in the studio, whilst Clive has commentated on every televised match.

I've been very impressed with Rob Walker these past two days; knowledgeable, well researched, fully prepared and much better than Jill who comes across as though she has little interest in the sport.

I am a Rob Walker fan too, his boundless energy and enthusiasm is a real breath of fresh air. Plus, as you say, he is very knowledgeable on the game.
  • Options
    goldenballs147goldenballs147 Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    The difference in Rob compared to when he's purely MC-ing is staggering.

I used to cringe when he appeared on screen but I've really taken a liking to him over these last few days. He's an excellent presenter and a prime example of the all to common situation where needing to have a woman presenter to appeal to males/fill quotas is completely unnecessary.

Overall I've really enjoyed this past week. It's been excellent. Alan McManus has turned into a high standard commentator. I always enjoyed the BBC coverage but I've started to realise why many people don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree with the above comments about Rob Walker, he's impressed me no end.

Really looking forward to today's final as Ronnnie and Judd contest first prize for the third time this season. Have a sneaky feeling for Trump today, although he's been nearly knocked out twice compared to Ronnie's relatively smooth passage, I think Ronnie has been more on edge than usual and might come unstuck if put under pressure.
This discussion has been closed.