• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Of course it "goes."

I'd imagine all networks have people working on ideas for future programmes, the source could be from anywhere.

It could be all his own work, or maybe not, he probably has (or once had), a busy schedule, but we don't know how much of the work was his own, or as I've suggested with anyone in TV, some done by researchers. Who'd blame him for getting help?

We're not gonna get, "I must thank my researcher for their contribution," at the end of the programme, are we?
    Maybe, or maybe not, a name wizzed through with the other credits and talked over by the continuity announcer.

We'll never know. I've been around PR too long to take everything at face value.

We never really get the whole story about much that happens in TV.
    I often suspect with many documentaries, that someone else does all the work and then the network look around for a big name to front it.

If he originated those documentaries then it doesn't "go" with that at all....
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    All the points you highlight (bold) are examples of unacceptable behaviour and / or comment. Using the excuse of 'banter' / 'humour' to try to justify the deliberate act of causing offence is unacceptable too. Clarkson should have been sacked years ago. Anyone who defends this bloke's behaviour and attitudes needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

i'll get the mirror out then :)

clarkson's humour might not be to everyones taste, but show me a comedian that is? if it was up to the bbc and their quest for controversy-free and humour-free mainstream humour we would have wall to wall miranda hart and sarah millican.

I would rather have a questionable itch than watch miranda hart, I've seen sarah millican live a few times and her stand up would not be broadcastable

there have been numerous people that have hated clarkson and felt obliged to keep their feelings hidden because top gear made him the goose that laid the golden egg. I sense a fair few have found this thread and starting rubbing their hands together, failing to realise that while he makes jokes about others, much of the shows humour is aimed at him, his ignorance, his terrible fashion sense, his political views etc.

there are infinitely worse remarks made on hignfy for example, if someone makes a complaint about a joke, they get more jokes made about them.

while i am looking at myself in the mirror maybe you could learn about comedy ;-)
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    All the points you highlight (bold) are examples of unacceptable behaviour and / or comment. Using the excuse of 'banter' / 'humour' to try to justify the deliberate act of causing offence is unacceptable too. Clarkson should have been sacked years ago. Anyone who defends this bloke's behaviour and attitudes needs to take a long hard look at themselves.
    All were perfectly valid and humorous or merely observations, except for the special needs one. Anyone who's humour threshold is so low as to dismiss the whole lot en masse as unacceptable behaviour is not suited to lecturing me or anyone else on taking long hard looks at themselves.

The on-going view in all this nonsense is that too many Clarkson fans will forgive him anything. That's not true btw; he really did leave the BBC with nowhere to go once he laid into his producer, but equally there are as many who refute all suggestions of his humour being acceptable for the same reason - it's Clarkson, so it's not acceptable behaviour. We can go round in circles for another 20 pages, or we just agree that from where I sit I'm right and you're not, and from your seat on your enormously high horse you somehow believe you're right.
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Well spoken madam.

The Telegraph has included a panel of Clarkson Gaffes with every story that they've run on TG & Clarkson. This is the list...

July 2008: Drink-driving BBC bosses told Clarkson off for supping a gin and tonic while behind the wheel of a pick-up truck.
    Big deal - he was on a frozen ice wasteland with not a pedestrian or another vehicle in sight for miles (bar the film crew in their truck) and in no danger whatsoever. But clearly "it sends the wrong message". What? That driving in the middle of nowhere at slow speeds is still dangerous after one drink?

November 2008: Lorry drivers. With reference to convicted killer Steve Wright, Clarkson joked on the show about how lorry drivers "murder prostitutes"
    It was a joke. Heavens above.

February 2009: Gordon Brown. The then prime minister was dismissed as a "one-eyed Scottish idiot" during a press conference in Australia.
    Entirely factual in all respects, and fits with Clarkson's Conservative views but magically not those of the BBC or the Guardian.

October 2009: Black Muslim Lesbians. Clarkson said that the BBC was obsessed with hiring black, Muslim lesbians to counter the number of white heterosexuals in its ranks.
    A play on the Daily Mail view of the BBC. Hyperbole and not much else.

July 2010: Burkas and lingerie. During a Top Gear discussion on distractions while driving: “Honestly, the burka doesn't work. I was in a cab in Piccadilly the other day when a woman in a full burka crossing the road in front of me tripped over the pavement, went head over heels and up it came, red g-string and stockings.”
    Factual reportage of an incident. What's the issue again?

August 2010: Special needs. Clarkson referred to a Ferrari as 'special needs' and a 'simpleton' as a way of giving it a bad review.
    A bit naughty that one. But hardly a hanging offence.

February 2011: Mexico. Clarkson sparked a diplomatic incident, and was forced to apologise to the Mexican ambassador.
    Funny, a bit irreverent, the ambassador's response was exactly what one would expect for his job role and pay scale.

January 2012: India. Viewers complained about Clarkson's provocative remarks concerning the country's clothing, trains, food and history.
    They mean the bog on the boot. A mickey-take of English people's view on foreign travel to that end of the world. A non-event.

May 2014: The 'N'-word. Clarkson was forced into a apology after appearing to mumble the word as he sang a nursery rhyme on Top Gear.
    Aaah the biggie. Clarkson says the N word. Except he didn't, the joke was that he was trying to resolve an either / or choice and started off down this path before realising that it's not possible to finish the rhyme, so he didn't. He didn't say he N word, the Mirror audio expert couldn't say that he had, because he didn't, so the clip was shelved. Next...

July 2014: Slope. Ofcom said he had breached their guidelines, when he referred to an Asian person as a 'slope',
    A clever little play on words, but at least world + dog now has another 'objectionable' word in its vocabulary.

October 2014: Falklands. Jeremy Clarkson caused offence this time by driving through Argentina using a number plate apparently referring to the Falklands War.
    Yes. Clarkson drove a car procured by the TG team and didn't notice its relevance until the Twitter storm erupted and he took steps to cover it up. Big deal. Clarkson via the TG production team upsets the Argies. Hardly difficult is it? I wonder who bought the car in the first place, who organised its shipping, who set it all up, this 928 with a plate that reads 982?

So that's his list of misdemeanors is it? A lot of fuss over not much at all in reality? And for this he's a racist xenophobic thug? Yeah right.

Was it Stephen Fry who had that little speech about "you're offended? So what blah blah". Too right. You find a joke offensive? So what? <shrugs & walks off in wonderment...>

Exactly. Nothing wrong in any of that.

Look at the DVD's of Jimmy Carr (some of which have been aired on Ch4 or 5 (I forget which).

It seems it's ok for other comedy programmes or comedians to crack jokes about race, religion, other countries, the demographic make up of organisations but if Clarkson does it, it's offensive.

Clarkson, is exactly what we need more of on TV, people who don't pussy foot around carefully trying to be boringly Politically Correct but instead just get on with making an entertaining and funny programme.

If anyone doesn't like the "frankness" of any particular presenters' jokes, BBC or otherwise, there's a remote control not far away and 150 or so other channels to choose from at that moment in time. I can't remember the number of times I've exercised that right for various reasons.

The only thing I can see in any of this that Clarkson has done wrong in his BBC Career, was hitting a fellow colleague and I have to wonder how much the stress of his situation behind the scenes was responsible for this as there are some reports around that suggest that things had been very stressed with the BBC for a long time.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...then there was the comment that striking public sector workers should be shot.

Which you've taken way out of context by forgetting to mention that he was talking about how the BBC requires "balance" and said it as a joke.

I completely agree with his sacking, but it's important to realise that he's a professional wind up merchant and says a lot to get a rise out of people. If you're a public sector worker who hid behind the sofa after actually watching that then you have other problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Which you've taken way out of context by forgetting to mention that he was talking about how the BBC requires "balance" and said it as a joke.

I completely agree with his sacking, but it's important to realise that he's a professional wind up merchant and says a lot to get a rise out of people. If you're a public sector worker who hid behind the sofa after actually watching that then you have other problems.
    As apparently have a lot of other people who've been trying to make out that they found it 'jaw droppingly offensive', 'shocking', 'beyond belief' etc. The only reasonable conclusion to be drawn from someone claiming to have had any kind of physical reaction to it - gasped, mouth fell open, chest tightened etc - is either that these people have no sense of scale or realism, or that they're exaggerating for effect. Which can it be? Hmmm...
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say about the number plate issue, as this can easily be tracked down online, the H982 FLK plate was not Clarkson's fault whatever else he might have done.
    The plate was put onto the car as a replacement by the DVLA in about 2000ish to replace a custom plate that a previous owner had on the car.
    Clarkson and the rest of the crew likely didn't see the car until it was shipped to south America, by which time it was too late!

Its quite a coincidence though for such a thing to happen, but coincidences do happen and in this case it did!

I like the idea that once they knew, May and Hammond planned to put BE11 END on the car, in reference to Clarkson himself I presume!
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    ...then there was the comment that striking public sector workers should be shot.

No, I am afraid, I have to disagree with you. I watch a lot of BBC output. I don't know anyone as offensive as Clarkson. HIGNFY is nowhere near Clarkson. The BBC is well shot of him.

The Public sector workers being shot comment got 773 complaints...

Ofcom received 783 complaints regarding Jason Gardeners comments on Dancing on Ice regarding a performance and comments to Karen Barber...

The Mexican slur got 158 complaints, a further 17 were received concerned about the welfare of the sheep herded by motorbikes.

Ofcom got 253 complaints for Jason Gardeners comments on DOI.

The One Show got over 400 complaints regarding Rita Ora's boobs.....

Kind of puts things into perspective.

Obvious someone somewhere watching TV will be offended by something someone says or what they see, even on the BBC. I bet bad language and sexual content will be high on that list. Are you offended by bad language/sexual content, if not I bet some will be, so who's got the moral high ground now...?

I've always said, there's a channel up/down button and an on/off switch, if you don't like something don't watch it. The majority of complaints come from idiots that watch something they know is likely to offend, then they complain about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not that much of a coincidence - it was a Porsche 928 with a plate that read 982. These people who go for personal plates never seem too bothered about exact spellings judging by the various ways of spelling common words & names that we all see. 982 or 928 is a good match by comparison to some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not that much of a coincidence - it was a Porsche 928 with a plate that read 982. These people who go for personal plates never seem to bothered about exact spellings judging by the obscure means of spelling common words & names that we all see. 982 or 928 is a good match by comparison.

But the point was its not a personalised plate anyway the DVLA was having to reissue a registration after a personalised plate was comming off!
    It was the DVLA's choice no one else's and this information can be found online if you look in the right places!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fair enough lotrjw, but either way the plate was on long before TG bought the car and it was a long while till Clarkson set eyes on it in S America.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's me being thick but I don't get it with all these other 'offenses' that Clarkson has so say done - eeny meeny miny mo was never broadcast, was very unclear as to what he actually said and was mysteriously leaked (by whom?), the slope comment was a bit random as no one seemed to know it was an insult until it was pointed out to be (once again by whom?), he's so say upset Mexicans and Argentinians but these shows weren't live recordings with no option to edit parts of it so why is it Clarkson getting the blame for everything, surely the producers have a say in what is actually shown. It stinks of a witch hunt to me - the beeb have been more than happy for him to be this controversial character over the years as it has made them a lot of money and made Top Gear the most popular show they have (not because of the cars but because of Clarkson & Co) and yet when a new director is employed (Cohen) who hates Clarkson, he suddenly starts getting warnings and has now been sacked within a year of Cohen starting.

All of which might have some merit if he hadn't actually verbally and physically assaulted a junior co-worker.

Anywhere I've worked a physical assault is a Do Not Pass Go offence. It doesn't matter if you are on no warnings or a final warning, it's a job wrecker. Conduct likely to reflect badly on the organisation - ie launching said assault in a public place in front of the general public - isn't exactly smiled upon either.

He was the architect of his own downfall. I could well see that if he had just carried on with the slightly controversial near the bone remarks he would have contined with the final final warnings roundabout - but getting physical is a game changer.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oisin Tymon does not want to press charges against Clarkson:
    In a statement Mr Tymon's lawyer, Paul Daniels, said: "Mr Tymon has informed the police that he doesn't want to press charges.

"The events of the last few weeks have been extremely unpleasant for everyone involved. The matter has taken a great toll on Oisin, his family and his friends.

"Quite simply, Mr Tymon just wishes to return now to the job at the BBC he loves, as soon as possible.

"Further, the BBC have, in his view, taken action with a view to addressing the issues at hand.

"Mr Tymon agrees with the BBC's stated view that all parties should now be allowed to move on, so far as possible."

<snipped>

Following Mr Tymon's decision not to press charges, North Yorkshire Police said the force was still investigating the incident.

A spokesman said: "Inquiries are ongoing."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32083181
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    All of which might have some merit if he hadn't actually verbally and physically assaulted a junior co-worker.

Anywhere I've worked a physical assault is a Do Not Pass Go offence. It doesn't matter if you are on no warnings or a final warning, it's a job wrecker. Conduct likely to reflect badly on the organisation - ie launching said assault in a public place in front of the general public - isn't exactly smiled upon either.

He was the architect of his own downfall. I could well see that if he had just carried on with the slightly controversial near the bone remarks he would have contined with the final final warnings roundabout - but getting physical is a game changer.

Thats the crux, all of the apologists for his behaviour can point at misdemenours but the reason he hasnt had his contract renewed is for this and this alone. Its a biggie. I feel that if it was Stewart Lee (as an example) the frothing at the mouth apologists for Clarkson would be calling for his head.
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarkson will like that, not a lot but he will like it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough lotrjw, but either way the plate was on long before TG bought the car and it was a long while till Clarkson set eyes on it in S America.

I know he didn't see it till S America so it couldn't be his fault.
    He apparently only had two cars of that make and model to choose from and choose, over the phone, on colour as the other car's colour wouldn't show up well on TV!
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'll get the mirror out then :)

clarkson's humour might not be to everyones taste, but show me a comedian that is? if it was up to the bbc and their quest for controversy-free and humour-free mainstream humour we would have wall to wall miranda hart and sarah millican.

I would rather have a questionable itch than watch miranda hart, I've seen sarah millican live a few times and her stand up would not be broadcastable

there have been numerous people that have hated clarkson and felt obliged to keep their feelings hidden because top gear made him the goose that laid the golden egg. I sense a fair few have found this thread and starting rubbing their hands together, failing to realise that while he makes jokes about others, much of the shows humour is aimed at him, his ignorance, his terrible fashion sense, his political views etc.

there are infinitely worse remarks made on hignfy for example, if someone makes a complaint about a joke, they get more jokes made about them.

while i am looking at myself in the mirror maybe you could learn about comedy ;-)

Since when was racism and homophobia (I name a few amongst many) funny? Hart and Millican are humorous. Clarkson is most definitely not. He belongs to a bygone era.
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    Let's hope Clarkson doesn't die soon or some on here will be demanding a period of official mourning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...The only thing I can see in any of this that Clarkson has done wrong in his BBC Career, was hitting a fellow colleague and I have to wonder how much the stress of his situation behind the scenes was responsible for this as there are some reports around that suggest that things had been very stressed with the BBC for a long time.

If you had an employee of the caliber of Clarkson, I am sure things behind the scenes would be very "...stressed..." for you too. The fact is, no company / organisation can afford to have someone as rude and as offensive as Clarkson. The fact that he has now bullied and attacked a fellow colleague in the workplace has sealed his fate. I would never employ someone like Clarkson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    The Public sector workers being shot comment got 773 complaints...

Ofcom received 783 complaints regarding Jason Gardeners comments on Dancing on Ice regarding a performance and comments to Karen Barber...

The Mexican slur got 158 complaints, a further 17 were received concerned about the welfare of the sheep herded by motorbikes.

Ofcom got 253 complaints for Jason Gardeners comments on DOI.

The One Show got over 400 complaints regarding Rita Ora's boobs.....

Kind of puts things into perspective.

Obvious someone somewhere watching TV will be offended by something someone says or what they see, even on the BBC. I bet bad language and sexual content will be high on that list. Are you offended by bad language/sexual content, if not I bet some will be, so who's got the moral high ground now...?

I've always said, there's a channel up/down button and an on/off switch, if you don't like something don't watch it. The majority of complaints come from idiots that watch something they know is likely to offend, then they complain about it.

The casual acceptance of any of the isms / poor language / sexual content is unacceptable in itself. Turning around and walking the other way / switching channels is not the answer. These things need taking on.
    Clarkson's comment LiVE on The One Show was totally unacceptable. I would say the same regardless of who said it. For me, it was a disciplinary issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Oisin Tymon does not want to press charges against Clarkson:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32083181

I hope he hasn't been put under pressure not to press charges. Going by what I have read on Twitter...absolutely disgusting.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope he hasn't been put under pressure not to press charges. Going by what I have read on Twitter...absolutely disgusting.

There's nothing he would have to gain by pressing charges. It wasn't some random bloke in the street, they have known each other for years, there's little chance it would ever be repeated even if they end up working together down the road. I suppose in theory he could press charges as part of a separate civil claim for damages, but he's probably more concerned about his career and not inviting more moronic threats from the twitter brigade. Clarkson has been punished, sort of, I would imagine the poor producer just wants to put this whole sorry episode behind him and get on with his life.
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I swear to God I just saw Jeremy down at Clapham job centre !