People that were popular 10-15 years ago, that are no longer to be seen?

rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
Forum Member
✭✭
I was doing a spring clean at home the other day and I came across a football vhs, called Own Goals and Gaffes. It was presented by Danny Baker, who was popular during the 1990's. Now I do not hear sight nor sound of him.

Other people that come to mind is the children's TV presenter Toby Anstis, former Never Mind the Buzzocks host Mark Lamaar, Going Live prsenter Emma Forbes and even Gaby Roslin.

Anyone notice any other past prevalent presenters,hosts, actors and actresses that seemed to consigned to history?

Comments

• Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Tony Blair
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I was doing a spring clean at home the other day and I came across a football vhs, called Own Goals and Gaffes. It was presented by Danny Baker, who was popular during the 1990's. Now I do not hear sight nor sound of him.

Other people that come to mind is the children's TV presenter Toby Anstis, former Never Mind the Buzzocks host Mark Lamaar, Going Live prsenter Emma Forbes and even Gaby Roslin.

Anyone notice any other past prevalent presenters,hosts, actors and actresses that seemed to consigned to history?

Danny Baker is on 5 live every Saturday morning, was on BBC London every day.

Toby Anstis is on Heart FM six days a week at 10am.

I used to fancy Gaby Roslin but never see her now.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Danny Baker is still very much around. Regular on BBC Radio 5 Live and I think he's doing a show on BT Sport too.

Anthea Turner.
    Sue Cook.
    P. Ness-Head.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danny Baker is still around...........he has a show on BBC radio 5, he has another show on the new BT sport channel and he's had a couple of series on BBC telly in the last 2 or 3 years..........

Tony Slattery ?

Johnny Vaughan?............I know he does that Mud Men on one of the cable channels but that's a big drop down from having his own prime time chat show
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Women get haggard, men go bald.

Between 35-50ish both are often banished from the screen, especially in Hollywood, until they can play "old".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob McCaffrey did a lot on Sky Sports and was very good but disappeared.

Michael Aspel has probably retired or wound down the TV work but isn't about much.

Angus Deayton has gradually moved away from TV too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Ken Morley (Reg in Coronation St).

Andi Peters (though I think he's a producer or something now)

Matthew Lorenzo (ITV Sport, fronted World Cup 94), also Saint and Greavesie, well Greavesie anyway, Saint still pops up in and around Liverpool, public appearances etc.

Fay Ripley (used to fancy her actually)

Two blokes on 'Paramount City', Curtis and Ishmael, never been seen in 20 years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    women end up on loose women
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack from Saved By The Bell.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Michael Aspel has probably retired or wound down the TV work but isn't about much.

Angus is a new character on Waterloo Road, introduced in the last series.
    Ken Morley (Reg in Coronation St).

Andi Peters (though I think he's a producer or something now)

Matthew Lorenzo (ITV Sport, fronted World Cup 94), also Saint and Greavesie, well Greavesie anyway, Saint still pops up in and around Liverpool, public appearances etc.

Fay Ripley (used to fancy her actually)

Two blokes on 'Paramount City', Curtis and Ishmael, never been seen in 20 years.

Andi Peters was a producer, or exec producer, of TOTP in the 90s I think. He also produced T4 for Channel 4 but that finished last year I believe.

Isn't Ken the guy in that 'I say you buy one, you get one free' window company TV ad? if not its someone who looks/sounds rather like Reg did, if memory recalls lol :o
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is a really good example. He used to do the voiceover for Manchester United end of season videos. I think I read somewhere that he does work in the middle east presenting football shows... I always thought he looked a bit like Tommy Cooper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a really good example. He used to do the voiceover for Manchester United end of season videos. I think I read somewhere that he does work in the middle east presenting football shows.

Krishnan Guru-Murthy went to take up a job with Al Jazeera a few years ago I thought but he still presents Channel 4 news as well (unless he left the Al Jazeera job?).
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angus Deaytons in Waterloo Rd now, so should be back on the box soon, as the new series is starting shortly.
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Davidson & Chalky
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »

Isn't Ken the guy in that 'I say you buy one, you get one free' window company TV ad? if not its someone who looks/sounds rather like Reg did, if memory recalls lol :o

He used to do those ads, but he was replaced by a (presumably cheaper) soundalike actor.

He used to do a 'comedy double act' on the show with Sherrie from Loose Women, she still seems popular but he's disappeared.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Krishnan Guru-Murthy went to take up a job with Al Jazeera a few years ago I thought but he still presents Channel 4 news as well (unless he left the Al Jazeera job?).

I'm pretty certain he's never been on Al Jazeera (I watch both).
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here is the resemblance to Tommy Cooper :D

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/knowledge/features/17365-rob-mccaffrey-interview#.Uglfwdsa7eE
    Forum Member
    That is a really good example. He used to do the voiceover for Manchester United end of season videos. I think I read somewhere that he does work in the middle east presenting football shows... I always thought he looked a bit like Tommy Cooper.

He started on Granada.

Elton Welsby, Hazel Barrett, Angela Piers/Ewart, Mark Owen (not that one), Carl Hawkins were all regulars on Granada in the 90s, again, never seen now.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ He does look like him, a younger tommy cooper :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain he's never been on Al Jazeera (I watch both).

I'm sure he left a broadcaster at one point, a few years ago, having been offered a job with them. I think the Radio Times might have interviewed him about it? I could be wrong though.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Steve Penk
    Margherita Taylor
    Forum Member

Here is the resemblance to Tommy Cooper :D

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/knowledge/features/17365-rob-mccaffrey-interview#.Uglfwdsa7eE

He had a moustache when he was on Granada, made him look like a spiv. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure he left a broadcaster at one point, a few years ago, having been offered a job with them. I think the Radio Times might have interviewed him about it? I could be wrong though.

I thought he went Newsround to C4, and that's it.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/sportandoutdoor/features/30077-rob-mccaffrey-talks-sport#.Uglm5tJyVhYRob McCaffrey is a British television presenter and journalist, with a broadcasting career that has spanned over 25 years. During this time he has enjoyed success presenting a wide range of high profile sports shows for Sky Sports, BBC, Granada TV before moving to the Middle East to present the English Premier League for OSN, the largest media company in the region. Rob hosted the groundbreaking Dubai sports show on Coast Radio, and is looking for TV opportunities worldwide.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/cmwvgd/antiques-roadshow--series-36---1-polesden-lacey

When I saw this (link above) earlier tonight I totally forgot Fiona Bruce had taken over....Michael now age 80 has been retired about 5 years.
    On 12 December 2012, it was announced that Deayton had joined the cast of the BBC drama series Waterloo Road in the role of a cynical new Modern Languages teacher, George Windor. He will make his first appearance in episode 27 of the eighth series, to be broadcast in 2013. In December 2012 he appeared in an edition of the BBC Two series World's Most Dangerous Roads, in which he and co-traveller Mariella Frostrup were filmed driving along the east coast of Madagascar. He co-stars with Anna Chancellor in the BBC sitcom Pramface (2013).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Philippa Forrester