Options

Cleaning Up Vomit..!!!!!!! (For All You Mums..!!)

deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
Forum Member
Ok, so last night, my ten year old decided to throw up all over his carpet (he was in bed asleep and woke up around midnight, didn't make it to the bathroom, put his head over the bedside and let rip!).

Up me and my wife got, and she got a bowl of hot water and detol disinfectant whilst I tried to scrape up all the chunks using a kitchen towel *digustingsmiley!!*

It was hard going - I used a brand new whole kitchen roll just trying to scrape as much of it off the carpet as possible. She then got to work with an old rag and the disinfectant to try and get rid of the remains.

We got rid of it eventually, but obviously, now the smell is still there (then, my 7 year old decided to do the same this morning - all over his cream carpet!!!! KIDS...!!!!:o:o).

Anyone have any 'old wives tales' about the best way to get rid of vomit......!!

Comments

• Options
    Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm a school cleaner, and if remember rightly we have sand solution that clears up vomit. I think sand might good way of soaking up said vomit (well make it a bit more easier).
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    throw something absorbent like salt on it and leave for a bit, come back and sweep/hoover it up and then scrub first with cold water and disinfectant so it doesn`t get "cooked" in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rossby41 wrote: »
    Well I'm a school cleaner, and if remember rightly we have sand solution that clears up vomit. I think sand might good way of soaking up said vomit (well make it a bit more easier).

...yea - I remember they used to do something similar when I was at school back in the day! They used to cover the vomit up with saw dust and then sweep it up after a while.....!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bicarb of soda!

Sprinkle liberally, leave for an hour or two and then hoover up

On a side note - your 7 year old has cream carpet in their room?? :o:o
  • Options
    ZimzammamZimzammam Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I would cover in salt to help absorb and dry the area, it can be vacuumed up. I would perhaps wipe the area over with a bicarbonate of soda dilution to neutralize any nasty niffs!!
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Borrow someone's dog for an hour :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bicarb of soda!

...yea - I thought that would get picked up on!!!

Its a heavy duty one which has loads of brown/black specs in it so me saying 'cream carpet' isn't strictly true...!!!
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    Cat litter is meant to be the thing. Not tried it myself tho.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely echo the bicarb thing. Chuck a whole pot of it down and leave it all day and hoover it up later.
  • Options
    vodkamargarinevodkamargarine Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Fabreeze for the smell once all the bits have gone and one of those Neutradol pots might help as well. Good luck, I remember those times well! At least when they get older and come home drunk they usually make it to the bathroom!! lol
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't hoover it up. My brother did that once. It doesn't work. :D
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Don't hoover it up. My brother did that once. It doesn't work. :D

That made me laugh! :D OP, I hope your wee ones are okay and it's not going to be a repeat performance later! Bicarb works well to reduce odour and using some biological washing powder and cold water should help.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuck yuck yuck, I am so glad those days are gone for me now.

I used to scrape it up with something like card and bung it in a carrier bag and then straight outside into the bin it went.

Then I would get some hot soapy water and use loads of towels to soak it up.
    By that I mean dab it with a clean cloth then absorb the wetness up with the dry cloth.
    I did that loads of times so the smell never got ingrained in the carpet.
    I would use Ecover washing up liquid now if I had to do it, as that is colourless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like the bicarb of soda is generally the way to go!

I've heard that you can just pour it over and leave to dry for an hour and just hoover the lot away.

Yep - kids, obviously didn't go into school today (ironic really as they are on half term next week anyway!) - been vedging on the sofa in front of the tv! No sick so far - thank god!!!!
  • Options
    Ruby94Ruby94 Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Scrubbing with vinegar and leaving it to dry will help to get rid of lingering smells. Worked for me after my son had unexpected carsickness.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's the vomit smillie when you need it? BARF :o
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try an enzymatic spray. They are marketed as something to clean up pet mess, including vomit, poo, wee without leaving a smell - the enzymes comsume the residue left in carpets, so it actually goes away, rather than just masking the smell.

I've never tried it on human vomit, but it worked well when house training my puppy, and I've used it on cat sick, and cat wee.

They must be good, because they get rid of the smell to the point that a dog's nose can't pick it up (when house training, to stop them finding places they've wee'd before, and going in the same place again).

You need to absolutely saturate the carpet where the vomit was, and an inch or so outside where it was, but don't rub it in. After 10 mins, wipe over with a damp cloth.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lifeisgood just beat me to it, you can get enzyme based spray from pet shops specifically for cleaning bio based mess. Here is a sample,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-Solution-Stain-Odour-Remover/dp/B004GBTK28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392597139&sr=8-1&keywords=enzyme+cleaner
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    That made me laugh! :D

:p I have no idea why he thought it would be a good idea. I'd been on holiday with my parents, he'd stayed at home. He'd had a party while we were gone, and one of his mates had had a bit too much to drink. Worse bit is, he didn't clean out the hoover :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bicarb or a solution of water & bio washing powder.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Lavender oil gets rid of nasty pongs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lavender oil gets rid of nasty pongs.

...ok, so 3 days later, the sick is obviously gone (and he feels better now) but boy, is the 'sicky' smell still lingering in his bedroom...!!! *disgustingsmellsmiley*

Do you recommend putting the oil onto the carpet itself or just placing a few drops around his room?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ...ok, so 3 days later, the sick is obviously gone (and he feels better now) but boy, is the 'sicky' smell still lingering in his bedroom...!!! *disgustingsmellsmiley*

Do you recommend putting the oil onto the carpet itself or just placing a few drops around his room?!

Lavendar will mask the smell but not get rid of it. Try a mixture of water with biological washing powder - the enzymes in the powder will kill the odour, rather than mask it.
  • Options
    FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ValetPro Enzyme Odour Eater. Give the area a good clean with plain water first to remove traces of other detergents that will affect the enzyme action and then apply some of this - works every time ;-)
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bicarb of soda!

I'm a daddy, but I endorse bicarbonate of soda too. We use that plus carpet fragrance and some air freshener to get rid of the smell.

Vomit is the worst thing in the world to clear up (for me anyway), I actually feel ill if I get anywhere near it.