Rock 'n' Chips - Only Fools and Horses Prequel

1192021222325»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Rob22 wrote: »
    Well I dont see how any more rock n' chips episodes can be made due to John Sullivan's demise.

unless of course, John had already made plans for somebody else to take over the scripts, when he dies??............

I doubt it.

That was the end. Nobody is capable of carrying on the mantle.

RIP John Sullivan :(

Thank you for giving us OFAH, probably the best comedy ever.........
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    The funeral director - Bernard Bird - sounded like Boycie!

The wonderful Alex MacQueen of The Thick of It and he was in Lewis last week. Really warmed to James Buckley as Del Boy tonight. What and excellent portrayal.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    I still maintain, that the public cant take to something that they dont know about, which isnt promoted and which is bruried in a graveyard tv slot.

If you read reviews, they are heavily positive, so the quality of the show isnt realy the question. The BBC are to blame for letting this show die. Look at a "middle of the road" show like, My Family......................milliions of viewers watched this for over 10 years. It was never the greatest show, yet it was always given a prime time tv spot by the beeb and heavily promoted. The public would have taken to Rock if they had simply given it a chance.

Right from the start it was hung out to dry. The very first, highly anticipated show, was buried in the schedules at the end of January.................are they seriously saying they couldnt have found a christmas slot for it just weeks before. This would have given the show a greater fanbase from the beginning. People associate Only Fools with xmas, so what do the beeb do........................NOT show it at xmas :rolleyes:

Also the name was bloody awful, the origonal title was perfect, but no, the beeb came up with this stupid title instead which has no relevence to the origonal show.

9pm isn't a graveyard slot. It's prime time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    I did enjoy it, the third episode being the best so far.

James Buckley is just beginning to get into character, the scene in the Golden Egg being typical Del, and hilarious too, with plenty more to offer.

Just two more episodes are required, a cameo appearance of Uncle Albert, the deaths of Albie Littlewood and Freddie, Jumbo and Del's welk stall, Reg's disappearance and closing with Mavis' death bed scene to find out what was really said (if anything). IMHO that would be the perfect place to draw a line.

Leaving it too long would mean that all the actors playing the parts would be too old, as the programme was left in 1963, and only a one year time scale to fill as Mavis died in 1964.

Shame on the BBC for the non promotion, fingers crossed for a Christmas special 2011......

For Uncle Albert to appear would go against the history of the show. He hadn't seen Grandad since his big bust-up with him, which was long before the events of Rock and Chips.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    For Uncle Albert to appear would go against the history of the show. He hadn't seen Grandad since his big bust-up with him, which was long before the events of Rock and Chips.

Easilly explained by Albert exaggerating to drill the story into Rodney. Im more impressed with the 3rd part then I was with the 2nd which felt like an epilogue with no real plot.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    9pm isn't a graveyard slot. It's prime time.
    But it wasnt promoted well, especially as it was the day before the TV event of the year. It kind of got lost and many thought it was a repeat of the Christmas special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    But it wasnt promoted well, especially as it was the day before the TV event of the year. It kind of got lost and many thought it was a repeat of the Christmas special.

I agree it wasn't promoted much.

But then a lot of trailers irritate me (Dr Who is promoted so much it's become very wearisome and I say that as a fan). I'd rather see no trailers and people actually looking at the listings for what's on.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree it wasn't promoted much.

But then a lot of trailers irritate me (Dr Who is promoted so much it's become very wearisome and I say that as a fan). I'd rather see no trailers and people actually looking at the listings for what's on.

But thats the point, people shouldnt have to. It simply was'nt promoted plain and simple.

By graveyard slot, I realy meant the day it was shown as well. The xmas episode was shown on a random day of the week and not one of the special days, and this was also dumped on the day before a huge televison event, and not promoted so no one knew it was on.

The treatment by the bbc of this show has been shameful. It should never have been a one off show to start......................how on earth can the viewers have been expected to connect with these (new) characters in a single 90min show and then not get to see anything new for nearly a whole year ?

The beeb should have had faith in the show and made at least 3 episodes and shown them on 3 consecutive weeks. That way we would have got to realy the know the characters from the start and a bigger fanbase would have been built up.
  • DoubleDoomDoubleDoom Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I didn't even know it was on.

It is repeated at 1.15 am on 3rd May. Unfortunatly, its the signed version but its that or iplayer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But thats the point, people shouldnt have to. It simply was'nt promoted plain and simple.

Why shouldn't people have to? If you don't look at the TV listings, you won't know what's on. You'll be dependent on trailers being shown at a time you happen to be watching and you'll miss programmes you'd have wanted to see. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't look at the listings.
    By graveyard slot, I realy meant the day it was shown as well. The xmas episode was shown on a random day of the week and not one of the special days, and this was also dumped on the day before a huge televison event, and not promoted so no one knew it was on.

I did think the Easter weekend might have been a better slot for it.
  • Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    Georged123 wrote: »

I agree!

The promotion was dire! :(
  • The Big RobertoThe Big Roberto Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Is this show coming back ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Is this show coming back ?

No. Although there's been no official announcement, the death of John Sullivan has undoubtedly ended all possibility of the show returning. Also, the viewing figures were not that great, largely due to poor promotion.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's on GOLD now, sadly started at 8.05. You can always catch it on plus one. The second one is on at 10pm.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    It's on GOLD now, sadly started at 8.05. You can always catch it on plus one. The second one is on at 10pm.

going slightly off topic, but does anyone know if GOLD will be showing the 00s Only Fools Epsiodes any time over Xmas?

I have only ever seen the episodes once, on the Xmas Days they were broadcast, and although they weren't a patch on the glory days, I'd like to see them again.

GOLD just seems to show the same episodes again and again, like Miami Twice?