Moving House... let's talk broadband

suncitysuncity Posts: 368
Forum Member
Currently on TalkTalk unlimited. That and the phone line costs me £35 odd a month depending on calls etc.

I need to ring them this week to let them know I'm moving home in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of just cancelling flat out as there are probably better deals out there now.

For instance, is fibre optic broadband worth it? Who is the best provider in terms of service and cost?

Or would you recommend switching everything over to the new home for a while so I'm not without an internet connection for a couple of weeks and then handling everything once I'm back on my feet.

Thanks

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Or would you recommend switching everything over to the new home for a while so I'm not without an internet connection for a couple of weeks and then handling everything once I'm back on my feet.

I'm fairly sure that would mean starting a new contract with Talktalk.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on TT unlimited with FTTC, works superbly well. Overall I don't think there is much to beat it.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I'm on TT unlimited with FTTC, works superbly well. Overall I don't think there is much to beat it.

There isn't except for Virgin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    BT have got some really good deals on fibre and tv at the moment. I think its about £22 a month for fibre up to 40mb and tv but is £14 odd for the 1st 6 months. Best to do the line rental saver thing and pay up front so works out quite cheap.
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't except for Virgin

err no

http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html

BT infinity is the best in my view depending on what you can get in terms of speed, I would suggest the OP will have to see what suits its individual.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    TalkTalk is generally the cheapest (give or take) out there, so I wouldn't switch. I'm with them and I think they are great.

Fibre is only worth it if you do more than checking emails, browsing and Facebook. For example, YouTube would benefit from it and gaming would also benefit from it.

If you decide to keep TalkTalk, don't start the moving process over the phone. Use the online form (https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/homemover/brochure), I think doing it this way also entitles you to some kind of offer but the main good point is less chance for human error to occur.

Good luck.