Options

Shooting in Canada, gunman being hunted down

2»

Comments

• Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Some people need to chill on this forum I was simply making a discussion on this topic and apologies for getting Canada president mixed up

Just for enlightenment, Canada has a Prime Minister and not a President. Queen Elizabeth the second is their Head of State.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    Did they find him yet?

Just looked on Sky News site no updates so I guess the gunman is still on the loose
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Assuming the OP is just stupid, not a troll...

I'm sure they will take some comfort in this... :p
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canada doesn't have a gun control problem like the US. They're allowed to own them but restrictions on carrying them are pretty tight, whereas in the states it's legal to carry them in many cases. The majority of gun owners are responsible law-abiding citizens, it's the small minority who cause most of the problems.
    ^ This

I get the impression that Canada's gun laws are stricter than the UK.

As tragic as incidents like these are; they are isolated and I think it's important to maintain a sense of perspective. Our kitchens and garages are full of implements that can be used to kill. It's the same for anyone who drives. What's to stop anyone crossing that little strip of paint on a fast road and wiping out a bunch of oncoming motorists or mounting the curb and mowing down a bus stop queue?

I'm aware that guns are classified as a weapon whereas a car isn't. But isn't it more about the person that the tool. Perhaps the world should forget about licensing guns and think about licensing people instead.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Oh wow. Pesky?

Yes pesky. It stops people (those aware that Canada is a separate country from the USA at least) from posting their cliches.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes pesky. It stops people (those aware that Canada is a separate country from the USA at least) from posting their cliches.

And spoiling their fun. There is no doubt in my mind people like dee123 relish stories about shootings in the U.S. Makes my skin crawl.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen a news story on BBC world news about three policeman in Canada being shot dead by a 24 year old man who is now being hunted down in the area it happened and that area is now on lock down. Residents told to stay in doors and keep all doors locked. Anyone seen this?. There is way to much gun crime over there Obama needs to change the gun laws right now. How many more people have to die cos of this?.

Obama's actually the president of the USA - not Canada.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Canada really does not have much of a problem with guns at all. They have loads of them, but the murder rate and gun crime rates are very low. What happened is a very rare occurance.

You are getting them mixed up with the USA who do have a massive gun problem, but have no will to do anything about it.

This.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Canada's gun culture is out of control. Something has to be done, etc, etc.

Just for the record, Canada has stricter and more sane gun control measures than the USA so horrendous gun outrages like this one are certainly rarer in Canada (and the Prime Minister is Stephen Harper, currently).

Unfortunately, that Justin Bourque gun loon fecker is still on the run last time I checked and I hope that he's captured soon without additional loss of police or civilian lives.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Canada really does not have much of a problem with guns at all. They have loads of them, but the murder rate and gun crime rates are very low. What happened is a very rare occurance.

You are getting them mixed up with the USA who do have a massive gun problem, but have no will to do anything about it.

According to the BBC article that is linked, Canada has the 3rd worse firearms homicide rate in the western world - only the USA and Switzerland are worse.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the BBC article that is linked, Canada has the 3rd worse firearms homicide rate in the western world - only the USA and Switzerland are worse.

If you read the graph again, it says in selected countries, it is not meant to be a definitive list.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Just because someone makes an ill-informed comment, it doesn't automatically make them a troll.

It does when it's Sweet_Princess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those interested, as of ten minutes ago the gunman was still at large.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I don't know about that. Have you ever been to Idaho, Montana, Alaska, Wyoming? A woman in Florida was recently mauled by a black bear in her garage. An eleven year old in Washington State recently shot and killed a cougar that was stalking her little brother on is way home from school. My dad is from California and grew up eating venison my grandpa killed in the Sierra Nevadas, and there is a wolf who roams the streets of my parent's city in Oregon.

We have angry squirrels, but you don't see us popping caps in their arse (as I believe the parlance goes).
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about that. Have you ever been to Idaho, Montana, Alaska, Wyoming? A woman in Florida was recently mauled by a black bear in her garage. An eleven year old in Washington State recently shot and killed a cougar that was stalking her little brother on is way home from school. My dad is from California and grew up eating venison my grandpa killed in the Sierra Nevadas, and there is a wolf who roams the streets of my parent's city in Oregon.

Just channeling others:

1. Why would a woman have a black bear in her garage? It serves her right if she's going to keep such a dangerous animal in there.
    2. Rather than shoot and kill something that was stalking a child she should have phoned the police and perhaps taken a restraining order out on the cougar.
    3. If Californians are so free and easy as to allow wolves to roam the streets they only have themselves to blame if it attacks someone.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the chances he is part of the Freeman on the Land/ sovereign citizen movement
    Over hear they are just a bunch of annoying *****, but in rural Canada and the US they are very dangerous and have killed a number of law enforcement officials.
  • Options
    jannajanna Posts: 7,323
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    It's 1812 all over again

Made me lol .:D
  • Options
    nitenursenitenurse Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Canadian and we have guns in the house. Legally acquired and stored guns.

To get a permit is a huge pain in the backside and takes references, a course in weapons safety, and a few other things.

Personally I hate them but my husband and one son have military/police backgrounds. My other son is a target shooter.

Yes, the shooter is still at large, one theory is that he wants to suicide by cop.

He's either dead in a basement, planning a shoot out to die, or has taken to the backwoods.

I live in western Canada and trust me the Americans are far freakier than we will ever be. Freemen of the Land are making their way north but the type attracted to it are similar to those attracted to your BNP. Undereducated, unemployed, and with axes to grind on how they perceive society has wronged them.

Oh, and 1812? We burnt the White House down and they still don't believe it happened.

We have an RCMP officer in the family. The shooter hasn't been caught as of now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    In other words, if you live in the area and even vaguely resemble this guy - hide. Reddit are looking for you, they have a nasty habit of identifying the wrong people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nitenurse wrote: »
    I'm a Canadian and we have guns in the house. Legally acquired and stored guns.

To get a permit is a huge pain in the backside and takes references, a course in weapons safety, and a few other things.

Personally I hate them but my husband and one son have military/police backgrounds. My other son is a target shooter.

Yes, the shooter is still at large, one theory is that he wants to suicide by cop.

He's either dead in a basement, planning a shoot out to die, or has taken to the backwoods.

I live in western Canada and trust me the Americans are far freakier than we will ever be. Freemen of the Land are making their way north but the type attracted to it are similar to those attracted to your BNP. Undereducated, unemployed, and with axes to grind on how they perceive society has wronged them.

Oh, and 1812? We burnt the White House down and they still don't believe it happened.

We have an RCMP officer in the family. The shooter hasn't been caught as of now.

How unpleasant. A shooting in Canada should not be an excuse to go Yank bashing. Absolutely pathetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    We have angry squirrels, but you don't see us popping caps in their arse (as I believe the parlance goes).

Self-parody?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just channeling others:

1. Why would a woman have a black bear in her garage? It serves her right if she's going to keep such a dangerous animal in there.
    2. Rather than shoot and kill something that was stalking a child she should have phoned the police and perhaps taken a restraining order out on the cougar.
    3. If Californians are so free and easy as to allow wolves to roam the streets they only have themselves to blame if it attacks someone.

Quite. So according to this thread, not only is Obama the president of Canada, but there's no dangerous wildlife to speak of in the U.S. and apparently Americans don't hunt. Oh and we're "freaky".
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears he's been taken alive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27727610
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Canada doesn't have a gun control problem like the US. They're allowed to own them but restrictions on carrying them are pretty tight, whereas in the states it's legal to carry them in many cases. The majority of gun owners are responsible law-abiding citizens, it's the small minority who cause most of the problems.
    ^ This

I get the impression that Canada's gun laws are stricter than the UK.

As tragic as incidents like these are; they are isolated and I think it's important to maintain a sense of perspective. Our kitchens and garages are full of implements that can be used to kill. It's the same for anyone who drives. What's to stop anyone crossing that little strip of paint on a fast road and wiping out a bunch of oncoming motorists or mounting the curb and mowing down a bus stop queue?

I'm aware that guns are classified as a weapon whereas a car isn't. But isn't it more about the person that the tool. Perhaps the world should forget about licensing guns and think about licensing people instead.

Regarding the above...

Thing is, although you get the odd case, such as George Zimmerman, where somebody legally carrying a gun in public makes the news, the vast, vast majority of gun-crimes will be committed either by people who own a gun and routinely use it in the course of criminal behaviour or people who go out and buy a gun for the specific purpose of committing a crime.

Seems like the problem isn't what people do with guns once they own them but how easy it is to buy them in the first place.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    nitenurse wrote: »

Complete myth I'm afraid. Leaving aside that "Canadians" didn't really exist yet... all of the regiments under Ross's command in Wash. were comprised entirely of soldiers that had been stationed in Holland and Lisbon, none of which had been residing or stationed on British territory that would later become Canada. These battalions were from ol Blighty. Some of the battles near the Great Lakes and in present day Ontario featured British subjects residing on future Canadian land.