My Last Summer - Channel 4, Wednesdays 10pm

1235»

Comments

• frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Vadmun wrote: »
    Sonia was nasty. Did anyone else notice the huge lead in and back story she gave to all her "missing Junior" diatribes. The slippers under the bed story was particularly hackneyed and trite. And those awful little laughs she punctuated everything with.

She was so utterly off and insincere. It resonated with you because of your dead sister and experience, not because her experience was real.

Awful woman, we've all had grief, we've all had people die horribly, or many of us have, Sonia obviously was looking for that experience to validate what appears to be a pretty vacuous, purposeless life.

And I'd keep Junior's son away from that freak too.

Now that's nasty! Why get personal? You don't know this woman. Fine to disagree but why sling such horrible insults?
    And that asinine robin red breast story, which I'm fairly certain she made up anyway.

Nope, I have another friend who lost her nan to cancer and who nursed her to the end, and she too thinks robins are her nan visiting her. There is also a crafter who makes wire robins to sit on garden fences and she gets a lot of people saying similar on her page.
  • DC1983DC1983 Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that's nasty! Why get personal? You don't know this woman. Fine to disagree but why sling such horrible insults?

Nope, I have another friend who lost her nan to cancer and who nursed her to the end, and she too thinks robins are her nan visiting her. There is also a crafter who makes wire robins to sit on garden fences and she gets a lot of people saying similar on her page.

My Nan kept seeing robin in her garden and mentioned it to my Mum frequently.

Since my Nan passed nearly 2 years ago, whenever my Mum is really low, she sees a robin in her garden.

I also think that some of the comments about Sonia are a little insulting. We don't know her personally and none of us know what really went on behind the scenes with his family. OK, you don't have to like her, but to be rude is a little childish in my opinion. Sorry if this offends anyone, but I am entitled to my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Junior was a sweetheart. I've no doubt he could be a bit of a player and probably drove his girlfriends crazy, but looking at the page and the outpouring of grief, love and support from so many people who knew him and the work they're doing for cancer awareness, puts into perspective the commentary last night when it said "all their friends and family abandoned Junior and Sonia when he became ill."

Did they abandon Junior or Sonia. She really seemed to get off on being his link to life and sole caregiver and I've no doubt he needed 24/7 care of that nature and did come to depend and rely on her.

Very odd state of affairs. I would have been quite happy to just think, odd woman and leave it at that. It was that stunt she pulled on Jayne, however, which I found truly evil. What a horrendous, sociopathic things to do and shows that all her self-pitying, strident crap about only people going through this, understand this was total bollocks. If she did truly understand or empathise she'd never have done that to her.

So you going to vilify Sonia because she offered Jane some unsolicited advice? Jane always had a strong approach, I think all Sonia was suggesting, is that you don't have to feel the need to be strong all the time, it's ok to be show your vulnerable side if you want to.
  • VadmunVadmun Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    So you going to vilify Sonia because she offered Jane some unsolicited advice? Jane always had a strong approach, I think all Sonia was suggesting, is that you don't have to feel the need to be strong all the time, it's ok to be show your vulnerable side if you want to.

Grow up dear, surely it's bedtime now, toddle off and keep your juvenile comments to yourself. Peace xxx
  • VadmunVadmun Posts: 269
    Forum Member

Sonia is a pathological liar and attention seeker. That robin story is drivel. People die, they rot, they're gone. Robins don't give a toss. They're birds, they live, they die, they're gone. Dead meat. the end.
  • MissDeeBlueMissDeeBlue Posts: 4,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not lost anyone close by cancer, but I would like to say I was fairly happy by the way the final episode rounded up. I really thought I could get away with keeping the old eyes dry, but by the time of the death of Ben, alone, only to be found two days later got me once and for all :cry::cry::cry:

I think that Jayne was brave, and liked the way she stood by her beliefs. I thought it was unfair of Sonia to talk about her on the video the way she did. Accusing Jayne of using a mask of wellness to cover up and not face reality. I admired Jayne for doing this, and it gave Ben especially, positivity.

Not sure if Sonia dealt with the issues she faced, as a carer, as good as she could have dealt with it. I hope she doesn't put too much pressure on Juniors 7 yr old son, to 'compensate' her loss, the young boy is an independent soul with his own personality after all, not to be compared with another

I think the producers should be recognised at an awards ceremony, such as BAFTA.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a difficult to watch but I'm glad I did.

I can see how Sonya could come across badly but I think her heart was in the right place. I also think the fact that Ben agreed with her assessment of Jayne said a lot as he adored her not to mention the others keeping schtum. Jayne herself ended up receiving more chemo despite saying she wouldn't put herself through it again. Obviously everyone deals with it in different ways but I think Sonya was trying to be helpful.

She seems quite isolated since Junior's death, her grief appeared genuine. It's nice that his son visits weekly.

Poor Ben. I well believe him still smoking, it's difficult enough give them up but what's the point in doing so when he was going to die anyway. His exit song made me laugh.

I love Lou. She was really there for them all, travelling to and fro/keeping in contact. I wish her and Andy all the best.

Andy seems to have deteriorated quite a bit. Sad to see him say he was ready to go and the ending with Lou was quite touching.

I wouldn't be surprised at a BAFTA nom next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I feel this has been the best documentary shown on Channel 4 in a long time. Is it wrong or ghoulish to hope they make another series? I just think the subject of death is one a lot of people shy away from (for many understandable reasons) and to have it staring you in the face like this in such an uncompromising way is a very brave thing. I was sad why Junior, Jayne and Ben passed, and the comment Lou said about possibly being the last left was very tough, was so sad. I really wish Andy and Lou well whether they are here for 2 months or 2 years.
  • cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Sonia is very black and white, either she likes you or she doesn't and is easily irritated if she doesn't like you and she didn't like Jayne. I can understand that because as warm and lovely as Jayne was I don't take to flamboyant types.

Junior was a player and she had the measure of him but they fulfilled their roles perfectly. He knew he needed someone responsible who would mother him. I presume the house they were in was hers. And she needed to be needed and be his major support system. I don't think there is anything wrong in that. She did play the martyr a bit on screen when he was still alive but I'd rather have someone like her in my corner than the coward that was Jayne's husband.
  • Purple OrchidPurple Orchid Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just watched the last one (I had to be in the right frame of mind to watch each one), it was so sad to see the group passing one by one. Each in very different ways.

Does anyone know how Andy & Lou are? It's been a while since this was filmed & I feel like I need closure on their experiences.
  • ErinnaErinna Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/lou-street-interview-for-my-last-summer

Purple Orchid here is a recent interview with Lou.
  • Purple OrchidPurple Orchid Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erinna, wow, thank you for that! What an amazing interview! Lou is still going strong then eh :)

She's such an inspiration, I bet she'll last years more the way she keeps being so positive.