Should I phone the RSPCA?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My neihhbor has a jack russell. She's a rescue dog who's old owners used to fight her with pitbulls, use her for breeding and a bit of a punching bag. She's had her for 3 years and treated her like her baby.

Thing is, then she had a baby and obviously the focus shifted. She has told me she's waiting for the dog to be placed in a new home, however this was 3 months ago, and she does like to be creative with the truth on occasion. The dog bares teeth at the toddler which is the reason she wants to get rid of her.

The last time the dog was walked was in march- I know this because I was the one to walk her. The dog did bark and growl at other dogs but within 5 minutes of chatting to the owners (me, not the dog lol). My neighbor said she can't walk her because she "hates other dogs" but I suspect it's laziness.

They go away on holidays (just in England) leave the dog at home. I have a key so I let the dog in the garden for a run around and poos etc. She has a bed and is well fed but often gets left in the dark unless I pop the light on.

When they're at home she is either shut in the kitchen, told to go to bed, given no attention and ignored. She spends most of the day barking in the garden.

The most attention I've seen my neighbor lavish on her is shouting at her to shut up and hitting her :-(

I hate watching this dog being neglected, she's 7 and idk if the rspca would put her down? Is my friend neglecting the dog or not? Only ever had cats so knoe very little!

Thanks in advance. I should point out that my neighbour and I haven't got a good relationship (found her stealing passwords on my desktop for eBay, reddit and another forum) so I dont want her to think I have a grudge. I judt dont like the way she treats the dog

Comments

• HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very sad how some dogs move around from one bad situation to another.

She shouldn't be going on holiday and leaving dog alone, even if you do pop in to let it out. That's very irresponsible and anything could happen to it in the long hours when it's alone.

Sounds to me like she is bored with the dog. Could you offer it a home yourself?
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The RSPCA are next to useless. They'll tell you the dog is fed and looked after so they can'tdso anything. They'll then call you numerous times asking for a donation.

I was going to ask the same, are you in a position to take the dog yourself. You sound like someone who would give the old girl a good home.

If not, maybe you could try and find her a proper loving forever home. I know you shouldn't have to and it's not up to you but it may be the only way to get this poor girl a responsible owner.

I wish there was a simple answer. Whatever happens I hope the dog gets herself a proper owner who genuinely cares.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I forgot to finish my sentence about walking the dog! After 5 minutes of other dogs company she seemed fine, so I don't think she hates other dogs as much as her owner claims that she does.

I don't know anyone who could offer her a home. I have 3 cats (which apparently the dog will "try to kill" but even if I didn't have them I also have a toddler and have recently become a single mother so I don't think I could give her the attention she deserves.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's obviously not possible for you to take on the dog yourself if you have a toddler and it's not good with children.

I agree with the other poster, and wouldn't bother with the RSPCA. Do you have a branch of Dogs Trust near you? If so, they might be able to advise you of the best course of action.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noooway wrote: »
    Sorry, I forgot to finish my sentence about walking the dog! After 5 minutes of other dogs company she seemed fine, so I don't think she hates other dogs as much as her owner claims that she does.

I don't know anyone who could offer her a home. I have 3 cats (which apparently the dog will "try to kill" but even if I didn't have them I also have a toddler and have recently become a single mother so I don't think I could give her the attention she deserves.

Either way good on you for caring.

If the dog was used for fighting she's probably terrified of other dogs until she realises they're not going to hurt her.

Is there a local dogs trust or another local dogs charity you might be able to call and have a chat about the dog too?
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a sad case but the owner may be right in the dog acting badly when she walks it. Dogs, especially scared dogs react differently depending who they are with, our late Duncan walked well for my husband but hated me walking him he just wasn't confident I think that I could protect him. Was an absolute angel for the vet who is a very confident person and just exuded this confidence to our damaged scared boy.

I wouldn't go to the RSPCA unless that is where the dog originally came from ? where ever it came from is the rescue to contact. Well done for caring and walking the dog, it obviously was a bit of a fad and has become surplus to requirements, lots of dogs are just that though so nothing new here.
  • riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly the RSPCA won't care as long as its warm and fed. Most of the big rescues like Dogs Trust will put the dog to sleep at any mention of the word aggression and will try it with other dogs and if it shows any sign of nastiness it will be PTS. Their best chance of rehoming it is with a small rescue who understand things like this and that they can be worked on.
    Very sad, any dog will start to go stir crazy and exhibit unwanted behaviours if it doesn't get exercise and stimulation :(