Options

Do you celebrate your birthday and do you have the day off work?

Comments

• Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I turned 30 last year and, for me, getting my old group of friends together was more trouble than it was worth. They're now spread over such a wide area and so many of them have childcare commitments I just couldn't be bothered.

I went for a birthday meal with my mother and we got talking to a woman on a nearby table who couldn't believe I wasn't out partying.

The truth is that as I've got older, I've learnt that happiness is spontaneous. I don't really like parties or organised happiness.

I work freelance. It just so happened that one of my major employers, who I do a lot of work for, emailed me, not knowing it was my birthday, with some VERY good news about future work.

That meant more to me than any birthday party would have done. I was back home by 11pm. The truth is, as one of the last single men, I've drifted apart from most of my old friends now.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, Sushi Samba´s OK, cocktails better than food. Also I agree with you the service at D&W is always very good.

What is steak Benedict? If it´s nice I´ll have to try it.
    Sorry steak eggs benedict…it was something like that.

We only went to Sushi Samba for the drinks anyway, the food menu doesn't appeal to me. Lovely place to go when the sun is shining, as it was on my bday.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    i stopped celebrating birthdays when my twin brother died, it seems wrong now.
    i think everyone thought it was because I was getting older, its just he's missing.....
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    i think everyone thought it was because I was getting older, its just he's missing.....

Awwww sorry to hear that :( *Hugs*
  • Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It probably is incredibly self indulgent, but I always book my birthday off. OH's is very close to mine so we take a couple of days off and go and do something special.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work as normal on my birthday, and never celebrate it. Waste of time and money on a lot of maudlin twaddle. I absolutely hate it if anyone at work finds out and sends me a card. First thing I do on leaving work is to rip it up :o
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a family, we just have a cake or gateau. The others also buy/receive cards; I don't. As long as the family all verbally wish me a happy birthday on the day, then I'm content.

I think once you reach a certain age, if there are no kids in the family, birthdays (and Christmas) become a bit pointless. I'll be 43 soon and have never had a birthday party in my life.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always have a meal out with my husband and son and also have a birthday cake with some candles on it. Not as many as my age though or the cake would melt!

I had a special birthday a couple of years back and had the first party of my life with lots of family and friends there. It was wonderful.

My birthday is in the middle of the winter so I have never been away on holiday for it, but my husband and son have summer birthdays and we have often been away for them. My husband was once in France for his and once in Austria and my son was once in Canada and once in the USA for his.

It's nice to do something special for a birthday.
  • Options
    Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't celebrated my birthday since I was 14 and I never liked it before then either. I would always say I didn't want cards or presents or fuss and eventually my family just gave up. More than 10 years later I still don't celebrate it and I don't take the day off work. It's just another day (I have the same attitude to Christmas and New Year).
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only take my birthday off if it's a Monday or a Friday (as it was this year - although, having said that, a group of friends and I celebrated on the Saturday).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »

Sorry to hear that. xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry steak eggs benedict…it was something like that.

We only went to Sushi Samba for the drinks anyway, the food menu doesn't appeal to me. Lovely place to go when the sun is shining, as it was on my bday.

Ah ok, sounds delicious! Wish the sun shone on my birthday (it´s in winter...when I was a kid I always dreamed - hopelessly - of having a birthday picnic, my sister had one every year as her birthday´s in summer). xx
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As my birthday is at Christmas my birthday doesn't usually get noticed.
    I never work over Christmas.
    I had my 60th last Christmas, my wife invited close family for a meal out and said she would pay for it as a birthday present which I thought was quite nice.

She asked me to go with her to the till and promptly asked me for half the cost :cool:

Women :D
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love birthdays, always felt pretty special no matter what I did. How times have changed...
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    We just take cakes and doughnuts into work on our birthday these days.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I take the week off work. I think of it as a treat from me to me :)
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    The truth is, as one of the last single men, I've drifted apart from most of my old friends now.

I know the feeling mate, so I've made new friends, that are single. As I tried to explain the other day (and got the usual rebuttals on DS : rolleyes : ), most married couples haven't got the time for single people, due to family commitments.

I wish some people would accept that I don't want to get married and have kids, treating me like I'm some kind of freakazoid. It's never been on the agenda. Deal with it. As for birthdays, I'm not really bothered about them these days.
    sweh wrote: »
    WRONG!

I turned 23 last month! I wish I was 22! :cry::cry:

Like a year is going to make much difference. I'm 50 now and I still can party along if I want to. However, most of the time I can't be arsed, as I've done it all before.
    sweh wrote: »
    Now that I'm getting old, I don't really care about my birthday that much. It's just a reminder of my fading youth. :cry:

Your fading youth. You are 23 years old.

At that age I was having the time of my life. I hired out a night club for my 23rd birthday, as my best friend at the time was 21 around about the same time (a few days difference in birthdays).

The DJ and club entry was included, i.e. free. You just had to pay for your drinks, which being south Wales weren't particularly expensive compared with London prices.
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not too fussed about my birthday. I don't really like going out drinking, but we usually make a really nice meal. I don't like cards etc either. Mr Kivi wasn't even here on my birthday this year :D

I had the day off this year as I had just left a job and started the new one the day after my birthday. I never tell folk at work when it is thank god XD

Next year is my 30th and we'd quite like to go somewhere nice for it. Torn between Norway and Iceland.
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH and me do tend to try and make each others birthdays a bit of an event in recent years.

We book a cheap break,wrap a few presents and go out for something nice to eat.

If we don't make the effort for each other,no one else will.
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I don't usually take the day off, it is mid December so got plenty of time off anyway with Christmas, I do celebrate it either on the day or at the nearest weekend usually just drinks with friends. This year however I am doing something special will be my first day at the Frankfurt Christmas Markets.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love birthdays, mine and other people's. Other people's are a great chance to catch up with people who you're not good enough friends with to actually hang out the rest of the year, but are good mates of the birthday boy or girl and who it's still cool to have a few beers with. There are people who I only ever see once a year at someone's birthday, and who I always have a great time with, but we're not actually "mates" as such. And you've always both got tons to talk about because you haven't seen each other in so long.

I usually make a weekend of it. Why the hell not?
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hubby and I hate making a big fuss or being the centre of attention. We didn't have a party, even for our 50th birthdays (I think we went out for a meal - he's nearly two years older by the way).

My friend however loves parties and surprising people. Her hubby is nearly 59 and she's already deciding what to do for his 60th :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a nice steak and champagne on my 21st. That was the last time there was any celebration. It's just a normal day, I prefer my birthdays to pass without remark.

I noticed recently that my birthday is always on the same day of the week as Christmas day. For example if my birthday is on a Monday, Christmas day is on a Monday that year. Always.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big.Al wrote: »
    I had a nice steak and champagne on my 21st. That was the last time there was any celebration. It's just a normal day, I prefer my birthdays to pass without remark.

I noticed recently that my birthday is always on the same day of the week as Christmas day. For example if my birthday is on a Monday, Christmas day is on a Monday that year. Always.

December the 18th per chance? If it's a week apart from Christmas, it's always going to fall on the same day as Christmas.
  • Options
    CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never worked on my birthday. As far as I'm concerned, it's the one day of the year that's special just for me so I'm going to spend it doing what I want to do. I still look forward to my birthday like I did when I was a kid and have never had that dread of them that some people do. So I'm getting older, so what? That just means I'm closer to another big birthday and bigger presents :D