Options

Champneys - ITV - Now

GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone watching?

It really isn't making me want to go and visit the place. I have always thought of Champneys as luxury but this is showing it is quite rough round the edges - unless you are Arab royalty of course.

Also, the woman that wants gateaux and full fat milk - why go to Champneys if you don't want to partake in what they are there for?

Comments

• Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Looks like a dump. Bad PR for them.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    Housekeeping lady bitches about colleagues on tv then leapfrogs boss.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also thought that it would be a luxurious place, not that I ever wanted to go there, not my sort of thing. Yes, Arab royalty get the full hog, everyone else can go whistle.

Their products are available in Boots, sickly scented stuff that probably cost pennies to produce.
    Wonder what the therapists secretly think of their customers.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Anyone watching?

It really isn't making me want to go and visit the place. I have always thought of Champneys as luxury but this is showing it is quite rough round the edges - unless you are Arab royalty of course.

Wasn't a great advertisement, was it?! I've been treated to a stay there about 3 times over the past 10 years and it's very hit and miss. Some elements have a "luxurious" veneer, but scratch the surface and you've hit the nail on the head, very "rough around the edges." Doesn't appear to have changed at all.

I was surprised they were having another re-furb as they only just had one relatively recently. Clearly false economy, the new rooms were bare and soulless, redone in a clinical cold blue, with what looked like formica dressing tables. Nothing wrong with Travelodge, but not sure that was the look they were going for! Also many of the treatments are overpriced. So you're pleased to see that a massage is included in the price. Unfortunately, you quickly realise that at just 25 minutes, they've lopped 35 minutes off the usual time. So barely time to remove your flip flops off, much less relax! The one thing that is amazing though is the food.
  • Options
    LabLab Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly not choosy on who they associate themselves with or who they give a freebie to...

This from tonight's Popbitch mailout:

ITV are airing a documentary about the luxury spa Champneys tonight. ITV may soon find it would have been better to have left it on ice indefinitely - or at least until someone's done a bit of research on the featured owner, Stephen Purdew.

Business interests with Rebekah and Charlie Brooks, News of the World executive Neil Wallis did PR, free stays for top plod and politicos (Met Police Chief Sir Paul Stephenson had to resign after one freebie). And, of course, Purdew was close friends with Jimmy Savile (connected with that Savile/Bruno/Sutcliffe photo). Just the kind of bloke that Savile-exposing ITV should be giving a primetime slot to, eh?
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    I am starting to wonder if the likes of this also the new show on the cruise ship which airs tonight and even the bus company series which goes head to head with it on five are in part funded by the company's involved
    Maybe stupid as it might sound an enhanced product placement ??
    It would certainly lower production costs but will hardly be ground breaking viewing
    I well remember the prizes supplied by credits at end of shows and now the direct mentions on quizzes but is a full length programme which just seems to be one continuous advert legal here under current legislation ??
    Obviously infomercials are paid for directly and advertised as such but these aren't
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we stop titling programme threads with "now" - a majority of people will see the thread after the show has finished!
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    Can we stop titling programme threads with "now" - a majority of people will see the thread after the show has finished!

I think it's a case of people being used to the twitter right here right now mentality more than anything else
    Nothing meant by it but agreed it can be as annoying as the squashed credits and the now next and later boxes at the end of programmes
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,247
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching?

Also, the woman that wants gateaux and full fat milk - why go to Champneys if you don't want to partake in what they are there for?

I agree, I watched it because I was thinking of getting away for three days at Christmas, but I didn't like the look of it, or the staff.

I can't imagine that last night's programme will attract many customers, although they could well get some cancelations.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And nobody wore clothes. Just dressing gowns.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Farcical.....it came across to me very much as 'a fool and their money are easily parted'. And the Seaweed 'wrap'.....hilarious! How much do plonkers pay for this nonsense? Don't they know you get it for free at any beach! :confused:
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Classic British industry set-up.

Company's losing money/status/market share, so it brings in skilled people to "turn it around".

They try to implement this 180-degree turn, meeting resentment and resistance from existing staff. Confrontation ensues. Tempers flare.

Management studies its fingernails as long as it can.

When finally forced to take a position, management sighs in exasperation, mutters about personality clashes and being a team player. Penny drops with new staff that they're on their own in this turning-around thing. They ship out as fast as they can.

Failing management and staff stay on. Normal service is resumed. Business continues to slide down cr***er while congratulating itself on how special it is.

Makes you proud :cool:
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arabs,..why on earth would you want to stay there 6 months?
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looked very dated and down market. They've cheapened the brand by selling it on the High Street.
    There are many spa centres these days that offer a far better service than Champneys do for a fraction of the cost.

eta: I stayed in a refurbed Travelodge a few weeks ago and the room was far nicer than any shown on this program.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    It looked very dated and down market. They've cheapened the brand by selling it on the High Street.
    There are many spa centres these days that offer a far better service than Champneys do for a fraction of the cost.

eta: I stayed in a refurbed Travelodge a few weeks ago and the room was far nicer than any shown on this program.
    Ah.....but did you get a Seaweed 'wrap' and dressing gown? :D
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Ah.....but did you get a Seaweed 'wrap' and dressing gown? :D

I took my own dressing gown and got drunk instead (girls night out) :D
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,144
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching?

I'd have thought it's as much about pampering and relaxation as anything for a lot of people. I found it more bizarre that they wouldn't let that woman have a glass of wine at lunch time.