On The Buses Television Series And Film Appreciation Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
Forum Member
Welcome to the the On The Buses television series and On The Buses film Appreciation thread.

This thread is for fans of the hugely popular On The Buses television series and films.

Whenever I read or hear about an On The Buses film being shown on television I will post to this thread with details of the broadcast date and time and what channel the film will be on.

I will also post here when I read or hear that the On The Buses television series is back on television (as many readers know it has recently been shown frequently on ITV 3).

If you are an On The Buses fan please post here and visit this thread regularly. Thank you.

If you are a fan of the brilliant Carry On films please also visit and post to the following thread:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1480648&highlight=carry+on+appreciation+thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    On The Buses - the film - to be shown on ITV 1 and on ITV 1 HD on Saturday 18.6.2011

The film On The Buses is to be shown this coming Saturday – 18th June, 2011 – on ITV 1 and on ITV 1 HD from 1.45 pm to 3.25 pm (and on ITV 1 +1 from 2.45 pm to 4.25 pm the same day). It might be the first time it has been broadcast in HD on UK terrestrial television. The film On The Buses was last shown on UK television on ITV 3 during Easter on St. George’s Day (23.4.2011).

On The Buses was the first of three films based on the hugely popular television series of the same name. It was made in 1971. The film Mutiny On The Buses followed in 1972 with Holiday On The Buses appearing in cinemas in 1973. (source of the dates quoted in this paragraph: Wikipedia).
  • Captain TimberCaptain Timber Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Ok kids, heres an OTB-related trivia question...and remember, to google is to cheat :D

Reg Varney was the first person in the world to publicly use which modern everyday item?
    Forum Member
    Ok kids, heres an OTB-related trivia question...and remember, to google is to cheat :D Reg Varney was the first person in the world to publicly use which modern everyday item?

I did not google the answer - but wasn't it a bank money dispensing machine? I seem to recall seeing a newspaper article somewhere a few years ago with a black-and-white picture of a huge crowd watching as Reg used the new machine - perhaps in Enfield, Middlesex or near there.
    Forum Member
    I did not google the answer - but wasn't it a bank money dispensing machine? I seem to recall seeing a newspaper article somewhere a few years ago with a black-and-white picture of a huge crowd watching as Reg used the new machine - perhaps in Enfield, Middlesex or near there.
    Take a bow! :)
  • cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, I thought it was a surgical support. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    The fictional district of 'Luxton' in OTB was meant to be the Thurrock area of Essex. Real places mentioned in the show include Tilbury, Basildon, Southend, and there was often an advert for the Cliffs Pavillion theatre (in Westcliff) on the side of Stan's bus.
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    My Dad , was in an epsoide called Bon voyage, which was the last of s1, he played Nobby, who gets some tickets for Stan when they go away

http://th436.photobucket.com/albums/qq85/cornershop15/British%20Actors/th_PatrickConnor4.jpg
    Forum Member
    Captain Timber wrote: Ok kids, heres an OTB-related trivia question...and remember, to google is to cheat :D Reg Varney was the first person in the world to publicly use which modern everyday item?
    Terry Telly wrote: I did not google the answer - but wasn't it a bank money dispensing machine? I seem to recall seeing a newspaper article somewhere a few years ago with a black-and-white picture of a huge crowd watching as Reg used the new machine - perhaps in Enfield, Middlesex or near there.
    Take a bow! :)

Thank you :).
    Forum Member
    DemonDan wrote: »
    The fictional district of 'Luxton' in OTB was meant to be the Thurrock area of Essex.

An interesting fact of which I was not previously aware. Thank you for posting the above, DemonDan.

I had thought that the fictional town of Luxton might have been based on Luton given the similarities to the names and the closeness of Luton to London (given that On The Buses was obviously based somewhere in or near the capital).
    DemonDan wrote: Real places mentioned in the show include Tilbury, Basildon, Southend, and there was often an advert for the Cliffs Pavilion theatre (in Westcliff) on the side of Stan's bus.

Yes, I remember Tilbury, Basildon and Southend-On-Sea being mentioned in On The Buses and, like you, I can recall the Cliffs Pavilion Theatre (Westcliff-on-Sea, Southend) advertisement you refer to above, DemonDan.
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    My Dad was in an episode called Bon Voyage, which was the last of series one. He played Nobby, who gets some tickets for Stan when they go away.

I remember your Dad in that episode. How wonderful that your father was in On The Buses - one of the most popular comedy programmes ever on British television (seen around the world).
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love On The Buses, but my one gripe is that the film versions are so completely different to the usual series! For instance in the series Oliive and Arthur never have kids and eventually get divorced but in the film they are on holiday with their little boy and then Olive gets pregnant again!

And the interior of their house looks completely different too! Could never understand why this was done!
    Forum Member
    I love On The Buses, but my one gripe is that the film versions are so completely different to the usual series! Olive and Arthur......the interior of their house looks completely different too! Could never understand why this was done!

I have always wondered why there are green buses in the television version of On The Buses but red ones in the films based on the television series.
  • potatoman1potatoman1 Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I have always wondered why there are green buses in the television version of On The Buses but red ones in the films based on the television series.

London Transport were approached for their red buses when the show started (even though it was B&W) but they felt the series would show a negative view of the bus service so they refused.

By the time the movie came along they seemed to have changed their mind .

All movie spinoffs of sitcoms change things .
    On the Buses is fortunate that it didn't change things too much and it was fairly close to the tv series which is why I think it was a success and had 2 sequels.

Most sitcom spinoffs take the cast on holiday , or at the very least away from the regular series setting that makes it popular.
    Its hard to do that and keep the cosy tv feeling for the audience.
    I think they all failed apart from the first 2 buses films and I think Man About the House also did a reasonable job even though some basic parts of the tv show were ignored for artistic licence.
    In the tv show the Ropers are merely landlords of the house but in the film and indeed for he George and Mildred series they became owners .
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did Reg Varney leave mid series of the final series did he just want to leave was he sacked or ill? Why not go before the series started or at the end of it?

What was the reason given for Blakey moving in with Mum and Olive also did Michael Robbins choose to leave or was his character just written out?

Thanks in advance.
    Forum Member
    I can hardly believe it, but when the series was made Stephen Lewis was only aged between 33 and 37!!
    I was up at Durham Regatta at the weekend, and when the Butler College VIII raced past I couldn't resist an "I hate you Butler........."
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this series, so funny! I could laugh at Arthur's grumpiness at the dinner table.....and everywhere else :D
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I love this series, so funny! I could laugh at Arthur's grumpiness at the dinner table.....and everywhere else :D

Yes - On The Buses :cool: is a brilliant comedy. It is currently being shown in Australia.

On The Buses should have a permanent place on British terrestrial television. ITV 3 showed it recently and hopefully will start doing so again soon.
    Forum Member
    ......when the series was made Stephen Lewis was only aged between 33 and 37!!

I think that Inspector Blakey (Stephen Lewis in On The Buses) is one of the most memorable characters ever played on British television.
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    What was the reason given for Blakey moving in with Mum and Olive....

It is possible that when Stan left they decided to give Inspector Blakey a more prominent role in On The Buses with him moving in as a lodger where Stan's mum and sister lived.
    Forum Member
    Terry Telly wrote: I have always wondered why there are green buses in the television version of On The Buses but red ones in the films based on the television series.
    potatoman1 wrote: »
    London Transport were approached for their red buses when the show started (even though it was B&W) but they felt the series would show a negative view of the bus service so they refused. By the time the movie came along they seemed to have changed their mind.

Thank you for your prompt reply potatoman1. I cannot imagine the On The Buses films with green buses.

The films were made in 1971, 1972 and 1973 (as I mentioned in posting number two to this thread) and the television series was in production from 1969 to 1973. So, red buses appeared in all three On The Buses films including the first On The Buses film in 1971 but green buses were still used for two more years after that in the On The Buses television series until it ended in 1973.

I wonder why the decision to use red buses in the films was not extended to the television series.
  • potatoman1potatoman1 Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Why did Reg Varney leave mid series of the final series did he just want to leave was he sacked or ill? Why not go before the series started or at the end of it?

What was the reason given for Blakey moving in with Mum and Olive also did Michael Robbins choose to leave or was his character just written out?

Thanks in advance.

Its been reported that Michael Robbins (who left at the end of series 6) and Reg Varney (who left partway through the final series 7) left because they were disappointed with the quality of the scripts.
    And if you watch those episodes you can't help but agree with them.

IIRC it was around series 5/6 that the creators and writers of the show went off to the USA to try and get an American version of the series off the ground.
    While they were away Bob Grant (Jack) and Stephen Lewis (Blakey) started contributing scripts.
    Unsurprisingly many of their scripts gave more prominence to their own characters at the expense of the main stars.
    I think this went some way toward the decisions of both actors to leave.
    And with Varney gone moving Blakey in with Mum was pretty much all that was left to do without scrapping the series altogether.
    The loss of the 2 best characters and the drop in the quality of the scripts ensured that series 7 was the end anyway.

When the 3rd movie (Holiday) was made Michael Robbins had already quit the show but apparently he returned for the movie as a favour to someone inside the production.
    Forum Member
    potatoman1 wrote: »
    When the 3rd movie (Holiday) was made Michael Robbins had already quit the show but apparently he returned for the movie as a favour to someone inside the production.

I am glad he did - I thought it was an excellent film.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The quality of the scripts? They were never brilliant in the first place seems like a case of "I'm too good for this now". Although it is and was a funny 30 minutes the whole concept of the series was
    1) Make fun of blakey
    2) Stan and Jack get their leg over.
    3) Olive and Arthur argue and have no sex life.
    4) A bus has to catch fire, breakdown or get damaged.

Hardly top notch script writing needed.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Stephen lewis was an experienced and successful writer in his own right.
    He wrote "Sparrers can't sing" which launched Barbara Windsors career - pre Carry Ons.
  • littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DemonDan wrote: »
    The fictional district of 'Luxton' in OTB was meant to be the Thurrock area of Essex. Real places mentioned in the show include Tilbury, Basildon, Southend, and there was often an advert for the Cliffs Pavillion theatre (in Westcliff) on the side of Stan's bus.
    I was led to believe that the external shots of buses coming out of the Luxton Bus Depot were actually filmed at London's Wood Green (in Haringey) Bus Depot.