Disneyland: Paris or Florida?

southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've never been to either, but does anyone know which one is better for young children?

Also I've seen Thomas Cook do holidays to Disneyland, but do you know any other travel agent that would be better to book with?

Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    southlad wrote: »
    I've never been to either, but does anyone know which one is better for young children?

Florida is Disney WORLD and has much more than Paris.

Disneyland is really just the magic kingdom part of Disney World.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    ive been to LA, Paris and florida

easy - florida
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Florida, hands down. It is the more expensive option, but it's worth every penny. If I could afford it I would go back right now just to walk around Downtown Disney (the shoppping area).

If you go to Florida promise me you'll go to the Fantasmic show at MGM
  • tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paris is small, and easy to navigate round all the various attractions with small children, and considerably cheaper than the American ones. But after a day or two you will have seen everything and done everything, so it depends on what sort of holiday you are looking for. A weekend in Disneyland Paris is cheap and cheerful, but I wouldn't have thought there's enough to occupy you for an entire week.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florida for me. Loads to see, both within the Disneyworld Park and in Orlando itself, and lots of great hotels to stay in. Paris would be OK for a quick trip, but not a proper holiday.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough my fiance and I were discussing about whether to take our first Summer holiday to Florida/Disney World next year.

I am however a bit confused about the layout...does Disney own the other attractions ie: Universal Studios etc.

Ideally we would like to visit as many resorts as possible in the 2-3 weeks we're looking to stay there.

And how much spending money is required - are the rides etc not all free?
  • megatron_manmegatron_man Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Florida all the way...

the whole feeling around the park is magical...

u don't get that at eurodisney with the rude french!
  • megatron_manmegatron_man Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JaiJai wrote: »
    Funnily enough my fiance and I were discussing about whether to take our first Summer holiday to Florida/Disney World next year.

I am however a bit confused about the layout...does Disney own the other attractions ie: Universal Studios etc.

Ideally we would like to visit as many resorts as possible in the 2-3 weeks we're looking to stay there.

hello, no they do not own Universal Studios or Islands of Advenutre...

however they have much more than euro disney.....u get magic kingdom , dinsey studios, epcot, animal kingdom...plus think of the water parks!
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Disneyland is really just the magic kingdom part of Disney World.

Disneyland is in California, and Disneyland Paris and Tokio Disneyland are where you would expect them to be.

The Magic Kingdom is indeed part of Disney World but it is never referred to as Disneyland.
    southlad wrote: »

Disney World (and the Magic Kingdom in particular) is immeasurably more exciting for children (and adults too for that matter).

However be aware that in all of the parks, there are age/height restrictions on some rides which may be a problem if your children are very young.

Cost is a consideration too of course.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Disneyland is in California, and Disneyland Paris and Tokio Disneyland are where you would expect them to be.

The Magic Kingdom is indeed part of Disney World but it is never referred to as Disneyland.

I was trying to say that the rides and layout of any Disneyland park is like the layout and rides of the magic kingdom part of Disney World (Florida).

I never said that the magic kingdom was called Disneyland!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    JaiJai wrote: »

There are 4 main Disney parks plus 2 water parks and a host of other attractions.

Plus there is Wet N Wild, Aquatica, Sea World, 2 Universal parks etc etc.

The rides are all free but admission to the parks will set you back a few hundred each.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walt Disney World, Orlando, Florida: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_World

International Drive, Orlando (where most of the attractions apart from Disney World are located): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Drive

Disneyland, Anaheim, California: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyland

Disneyland Paris: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyland_Paris

The Orlando area has by far the most things to see and do, both Disney and non-Disney. Beware of the extremely hot weather in mid summer though. If you get tired of the parks you can easily run out to Cape Canaveral and visit Kennedy Space Center for something rather different http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_Space_Center_Visitor_Complex
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    tenorlady wrote: »
    Paris is small, and easy to navigate round all the various attractions with small children, and considerably cheaper than the American ones. But after a day or two you will have seen everything and done everything, so it depends on what sort of holiday you are looking for. A weekend in Disneyland Paris is cheap and cheerful, but I wouldn't have thought there's enough to occupy you for an entire week.

Cheaper to get to, possibly but it cost us nearly £800 for four for meals and spending Money for 5 days when we went, it was £100+ for a meal at night, in the Disney restaurants, kids of course wanted snacks, drinks etc, which were easily 10 euros a pop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Sorry op - in response my answer would be Florida, loved it 10000 times more than france
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While getting there is obviously going to be more expensive, Orlando offers a wide range of accommodation and eating options at all price levels. You might want to explore using a budget motel instead of a full-price hotel, if you're only looking for a clean room and beds to sleep in. This assumes that you'll be hiring a car though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually prefer Disneyland Paris.

Its basically Magic Kingdom with a few of the popular rides from different parks in it.

You can do DL Paris in a long weekend which I think is great. For me, I don't really care about the hotels or anything, as long as its close to the park, because face it, you are not going to be spending alot of time in the hotel, for me it was just sleep and breakfast.

Its newer than DW too so I think some of the rides are better, like Pirates of the Caribbean, I much preder the DL Paris one.

The only thing that DW has is Universal (although now Jaws has gone i'm not exactly bothered by it imo) and the shopping! Haha.

I also love the travel time, or lack of when going to DL vs DW.
  • tinshedtinshed Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    search for The DIBB on google it offers a wealth of advice on both besides a lot more on other attractions in Florida.
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i used to work for "disney land resort paris" (to give it it's full moniker!!!) in their UK booking centre and so spent a long time touring both the parks there and ALL the local hotels -

basically if you want cheap accomodation you can get away with dlp but be prepared for not very pleasant rooms and hotels.

if money is no object then dlp is probably better as the main disney hotels on site are literally a walk away BUT cost a fortune (even with "kids free" option)

Florida gives you a much wider variety of accomodation choices and tbh a better overall std for the cheaper end and if you're after a complete holiday the extras such as shopping, sea world, universal, harry potter etc BUT it costs a lot more to get to.

btw if you do go for the dlp option don't get fixated on the disney train - only a bit quicker than changing at Lille but a lot more expensive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want the full on Disney experience I would go for Florida.

The staff in Disneyland Paris were exceedingly rude and unhelpful. We asked a member of staff where to go for a queue jumper pass as my daughter is in a wheelchair. She actually tutted at us and rolled her eyes!
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Think of the crappest cheap burger you have ever eaten, then think of the finest steak you have ever eaten. That's the difference between Paris and Orlando in my humble opinion.

Everyone who works at the theme parks in Florida are so friendly and helpful ...... in Paris, not so much. Plus in Paris you have to contend with French people who have no concept of the idea behind queuing. Some of the most ignorant people I have ever encountered were at Disneyland Paris.

It may be cheap, but it feels cheap. Save up and go to the real thing. There's so much more to do in Orlando too. We have been going for 10 years and never tire of it.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for WDW in Florida!

You can do all parks including one of the Disney water parks as well as Universal Studios and Sea World in a fortnight. We also fitted in Aquatica and a couple of rest days which included Pirates Cove Golf and Wonderworks (or Ripleys)

It took us until our 4th visit to get it down to a fine art of fitting everything in!

Edit: love Button's comparison!:D
  • Jaydogg_HomeJaydogg_Home Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Florida for the win!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the real decider though, AFAIK there's no Wendy's in Paris, France. :)
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »

Or Perkins! :D
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Or Perkins! :D

Or IHOP, or Denny's, or Olive Garden, etc.

Although rumour has it that there are a few nice restaurants in France ...