Options

What Qualifications does a Dietician need? Where can i find one?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm looking to find a Dietician in my area. I don't want to got o my GP cos they just palm me off with the nurse.

I want to choose a proper Dietician (don't want to get ripped off ), so what qualifications should i look for next to their name and is their a national institute for dieticians website (or something sinilar) where i can find genuine ones?

Thank you x :)

Comments

• Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBeeN wrote: »
    I'm looking to find a Dietician in my area. I don't want to got o my GP cos they just palm me off with the nurse.

I want to choose a proper Dietician (don't want to get ripped off ), so what qualifications should i look for next to their name and is their a national institute for dieticians website (or something sinilar) where i can find genuine ones?

Tried Google?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Tried Google?

Yes i always use Google but sometimes i prefer asking real people and i like to know their opinions and what they think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i always use Google but sometimes i prefer asking real people and i like to know their opinions and what they think.

Fair enough, so if you've Googled then it should have given you a good idea of what qualifications they should have (details of the letters that should appear after their name) plus there should be a list of dieticians across the UK etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me google that for you!

Or perhaps a medical community would be a better place to ask than GD of DS!.

Just a thought. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or maybe a dietician is part of the DS community and would like to help.

instead the DS police have interfered unnessersarily.
  • Options
    Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    or maybe a dietician is part of the DS community and would like to help.

instead the DS police have interfered unnessersarily.

maybe, maybe not. Certainly there are avenues to go down which have a much higher chance of providing bona fide information regarding dieticians, costs, locations than GD? I know that when I want medical or legal advice, in the hope that this is the forum I go to first!. :-D.

Speak for yourself about 'forum police'... I'm just pointing out that there are better options in all respect, just as you are pointing out that somebody can largely post what they want? Difference? If anything, you should be grateful as it's going to keep the thread active for longer, thus much more likely to generate viewings.

You're welcome! ;-)
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same site I came up with when I thought there was a problem with Google, wealth of accurate info out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thankyou annette. x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Same site I came up with when I thought there was a problem with Google, wealth of accurate info out there.

thanks anyway, i just wanted some help.
    I detect a hint of sarcasm tho
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Thankyou annette. x

my pleasure. it was somewhat sarkyily delivered:o but graciously accepted:o:o:o.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks anyway, i just wanted some help.
    I detect a hint of sarcasm tho

I can't understand why you came to DS instead of Google to find your answers. I checked Google to see if there was problem with it and pages of sites came up :confused:
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe, maybe not. Certainly there are avenues to go down which have a much higher chance of providing bona fide information regarding dieticians, costs, locations than GD? I know that when I want medical or legal advice, in the hope that this is the forum I go to first!. :-D.

Speak for yourself about 'forum police'... I'm just pointing out that there are better options in all respect, just as you are pointing out that somebody can largely post what they want? Difference? If anything, you should be grateful as it's going to keep the thread active for longer, thus much more likely to generate viewings.

You're welcome! ;-)
    good point:p
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind being palmed off by the nurse in my local surgery.

Isn't dietician one of those dodgy areas in medicine. Those where any one can quite easily get a qualification without going through years of education and training.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea if it's the same in the UK but in Brazil dieticians aren't regulated therefore people prefer to be referred to a nutritionist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind being palmed off by the nurse in my local surgery.

Isn't dietician one of those dodgy areas in medicine. Those where any one can quite easily get a qualification without going through years of education and training.

I'm not sure but I think that may be a nutritionist (the ones in the hospital here are called dieticians), I think that's what that poo dealer off the tv is (I could be wrong)
  • Options
    mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    This link might help explain more http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/allied-health-professions/careers-in-the-allied-health-professions/dietitian/

Don't go to a Nutritionist because anyone can set themselves up as one with no qualifications or training.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea if it's the same in the UK but in Brazil dieticians aren't regulated therefore people prefer to be referred to a nutritionist.

Dieticians are regulated better than nutritionists; anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.

Dieticians are often not much better though. If I were you OP I would speak to the nurses at your GP surgery and ask if they know one with a good reputation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dieticians are regulated better than nutritionists; anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.

Dieticians are often not much better though. If I were you OP I would speak to the nurses at your GP surgery and ask if they know one with a good reputation.
    I see. In Brazil it's the other way around.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my friends is a dietician for the NHS. All her colleagues (including her) have eating disorders as this was the reason they got interested in the subject in the first place.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,993
    Forum Member

You could try asking your GP to make a referral for you to see the dietician at your local hospital. I was seeing the one at my local hospital last year and part of this year. To be honest I didn't find her to be that much help. I was just given a couple of NHS leaflets, told to keep a food diary which she then looked over every visit and weighed every visit. To be honest the advice was given was what I already knew anyway from information on the internet, magazine articles, diet related tv shows.
  • Options
    spike1986ukspike1986uk Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Dietitian - with a T
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dietitian - with a T

Within the community of dietitians, apparently.
    Dietitian vs. Dietician spelling

The correct or preferable spelling of dietitian has been a long-standing matter for the profession of dietetics. In the early 1960s dietetic associations, under the auspices of the International Committee of Dietetic Associations (ICDA), worked together to standardize information about dietitians under the International Standard Classification of Occupations. When the International Labour Office confirmed the dietetic profession’s classification in 1967, it also adopted the spelling “dietitian” at the request of the international dietetic community. This information can be found in the documentation held by ICDA and by the International Labour Office (ILO).
    Spelling of dietitian with a “c” does not pre-date spelling as ‘dietitian’ which first appeared in print in 1846. The variant spelling "dietician" is found in print in a 1917 issue of Nation and in the Oxford English Dictionary in 1906. The origin is an evolution of physician specializing in diet – dietician. Merriam-Webster has a letter from a professional editor dated May 5, 1923, in which it is stated that "I never find any other spelling of this word than c-spelling. Hospitals and nurses invariably write it 'dietician’.” This statement is supported by a review of early published literature. Merriam-Webster has gone on to say to us that, “Admittedly, today's members of the professional community of dietitians do read "dietician” as a misspelling, and one would be hard-pressed to find an example of that spelling in publications put out by that community.”
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dietitian - with a T

By jove you're right.