Options

Has anybody had Lumbar decompression surgery?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My hubby went to see the surgeon today because of his on going sciatica (since July) and the surgeon gave the option of decompression surgery IF the pain gets worse or the pain is unchanged in 6 weeks.

His pain was very slowly getting better but the recovery plateaued and he's had no change in recovery for a while now.

We saw the scans and two of the discs were protruding out from the spine (one disc was worse than the other) and they were both squishing the spinal nerves (the one/ones that go from the brain down through the spinal column). The surgeon talked about if Rick has surgery it would be decompression, so i take it that means a discectomy where they remove a part of the damaged disc (looked on NHS website).
But the scary thing is 1 in 300 people may suffer some kind of paralysis after surgery :eek: which scares the crap out of us. :( (NHS website figures)

But hopefully his recovery will start to get going again and he wont need this but i want to try and get info beforehand.

We were told to have a think about it, so has anyone had this procedure done and can you give me your experiences please.
Many thanks, Claire x

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had it done 3 years ago. Best thing i ever did! I was in so much pain before and had tried everything - physio, epidural etc

I was so scared to get it done so kept putting it off. But then the pain got so bad that i went for the op. was sore for about 1 week after but the sciatic pain went completely. I am so happy i got it done. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had it done 3 years ago. Best thing i ever did! I was in so much pain before and had tried everything - physio, epidural etc

I was so scared to get it done so kept putting it off. But then the pain got so bad that i went for the op. was sore for about 1 week after but the sciatic pain went completely. I am so happy i got it done. :)

That's a positive, thanks Gloworm :)
    We asked for an epidural but the surgeon said there was no where for it to go?? (i think he ment about where to inject rick or summit like that :confused:) so basicaly that was a non starter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep and ( i know this won't apply to your husband) but i managed to go through 2 pregnancys - one was 6 months after the operation and the other 9 months after that - that is how much my back and sciatica has been cured. I had minor back pain towards end of pregnancy the same as any other pregnant woman.

I can not recommend the surgery enough - changed my life.