Options

Cooking two chickens at once, how long for?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm not known for my cooking :o
But a large chicken isn't quite enough for our family (now the boys are much bigger)

So if i wanted to cook two medium chickens side by side in the oven, would i just double the cooking time.

So for one 2kg bird, it would be 45mins per kilo, then extra 20 mins, that would be around 110 mins, so 2 birds in the oven would be 220 mins :confused:

Have i got that right :confused:

Comments

• Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd cook them for 110 minutes - the oven's heat will still cook each bird separately even though they're both in the oven at the same time.

One thought though - would a small turkey (assuming there is such a thing!) be easier? I'm just thinking it would probably take up less oven space than 2 chickens and leave more room for roasties and other accompaniments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojo01 wrote: »
    I'd cook them for 110 minutes - the oven's heat will still cook each bird separately even though they're both in the oven at the same time.

One thought though - would a small turkey (assuming there is such a thing!) be easier? I'm just thinking it would probably take up less oven space than 2 chickens and leave more room for roasties and other accompaniments.

:D, this isn't for xmas (my mums doing all of the work this year, woo hoo!)
    This is for just in general, sunday roast dinners. We like to have chicken left over for lunches on monday and with a large chicken that's not possiable as the kids eat a lot more (opposed to when they were little, and now Ben is 5ft 7" and he's only just turned 14!:eek: so his appetite is way bigger)
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBeeN wrote: »
    :D, this isn't for xmas (my mums doing all of the work this year, woo hoo!)
    This is for just in general, sunday roast dinners. We like to have chicken left over for lunches on monday and with a large chicken that's not possiable as the kids eat a lot more (opposed to when they were little, and now Ben is 5ft 7" and he's only just turned 14!:eek: so his appetite is way bigger)

Oh yes, leftover chicken is a must!

ETA: just googled extra large chickens and it appears that M&S sell them - it's £9 but not sure how much extra chicken you'd really end up with or whether it's more cost effective than two smaller chickens
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It will take longer then 110 minutes, however how much longer depends on a lot of factors. Personally I would use a meat thermometer or use the skewer test.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Double the cooking time?? Not if you want two burnt chickens!

You will need to lengthen the cooking time a little, I'm not sure why, but I assume it's to do with the fact that the oven will lose heat and have to work harder by having two chickens in there at once.

I would add 15 minutes to the cooking time of 1 bird.... assuming that both chickens are the same size
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

You will need to lengthen the cooking time a little, I'm not sure why, but I assume it's to do with the fact that the oven will lose heat and have to work harder by having two chickens in there at once.

I would add 15 minutes to the cooking time of 1 bird.... assuming that both chickens are the same size

So i guess it's perhaps add on an extra 15mins then do the skewer test and if not sure add on another 15mins, and then make a note of how long it takes for future reference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, leftover chicken is a must!

ETA: just googled extra large chickens and it appears that M&S sell them - it's £9 but not sure how much extra chicken you'd really end up with or whether it's more cost effective than two smaller chickens

I only shop in Aldi (and then tescos for the extras) :)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBeeN wrote: »
    So i guess it's perhaps add on an extra 15mins then do the skewer test and if not sure add on another 15mins, and then make a note of how long it takes for future reference.

yes, that would be fine.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    It will take longer then 110 minutes, however how much longer depends on a lot of factors. Personally I would use a meat thermometer or use the skewer test.

Using a thermometer is best. About 70 deg C in the thickest part of the breast is pretty fully cooked (according to Heston!).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two chickens will not double the cooking time.
    If they both weigh the same cook as one else cook the largest for the proper time and remove the smaller one say 15 mins early.
  • Options
    LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

Indeed.:eek::D

Plus if you have a fan oven it should be no problem at all, as the heat will be distributed fairly evenly.