YouTube coming to Freesat in March - Article in the Telegraph

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    es6300 wrote: »
    55,000 give or take a few if the following statement is correct

I would suggest it's highly misleading - and deliberately so - while there may well have been 55,000 Freesat boxes/TV's sold during that period only a small number of them would have been Freetime boxes.

Of our Freesat sales, only a small percentage are Freetime boxes, and this would be the norm - due to cost, and the lack of boxes.

However, the Humax Freetime box is a GREAT improvement over the older ones, and is basically what the originals should have been more like.
  • Options
    misarmisar Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However, the Humax Freetime box is a GREAT improvement over the older ones, and is basically what the originals should have been more like.

I don't own any Humax boxes so I am certainly not disagreeing with you. However, I have noticed many posts on various forums saying the opposite - ie the previous Humax PVRs (after numerous bug fixes and updates) are better than the Freetime one. Can't all be correct. :)
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest it's highly misleading - and deliberately so - while there may well have been 55,000 Freesat boxes/TV's sold during that period only a small number of them would have been Freetime boxes.

Of our Freesat sales, only a small percentage are Freetime boxes, and this would be the norm - due to cost, and the lack of boxes.

Out of interest, what date did you see your first <free time> box?

If like ian-d it would have been in Q4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    misar wrote: »
    I don't own any Humax boxes so I am certainly not disagreeing with you. However, I have noticed many posts on various forums saying the opposite - ie the previous Humax PVRs (after numerous bug fixes and updates) are better than the Freetime one. Can't all be correct. :)

Humax are notoriously bad at releasing equipment with poor software, and VERY slow at providing updates - no doubt once the bug fixes are all sorted out they will be happier :D

But I was referring to the operation and use of the box, which is a lot more user friendly than the older boxes - it's also substantially faster in use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Out of interest, what date did you see your first <free time> box?

If like ian-d it would have been in Q4.

Probably so - it was special ordered for someone when they were first released.
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misar wrote: »

Are you sure or are referring to reports by those who have installed the hacked software that allows infringement of IP... ;)
  • Options
    peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »
    Are you sure or are referring to reports by those who have installed the hacked software that allows infringement of IP... ;)

I have two HUMAX boxes without the software improvments and they are both better than any other box I have had, and I have had lots of sat boxes.
    The HUMAX PVR was my first pvr and I was very impressed with it, I now have a HUMAX 1000s as well and I am very impressed with that, it has little niggles but I have alway's found HUMAX very good at fixing problems

Yes there is a software improvment package, and that also is very good, but lots of us are just very happy with using the HUMAX boxes without it.

So why you say or are trying to say people are not happy with the HUMAX box is beyond me, have you got one? I think not:mad:
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »
    Could you please explain exactly what you are talking about here. ;)
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Could you please explain exactly what you are talking about here. ;)

I was wondering that as well :confused:

Free to air satellite transmissions are transmitted in the clear. There are hundreds of free to air satellite boxes that can record these without encryption and are sold and presumably used legally all over Europe. Prices start from about £40.00 for a single tuner pvr ready box at places like B&Q.

Guessing the posting was about the custom firmware that is available for the Foxsat-hdr. If so it shows a total degree of ignorance over what it actually does.

It not a hack to the official software but is additional software using the open architecture Linux operating system that the Foxsat-hdr uses. It generally makes the box very similar in capability to the newer HDR FOX T2 and in some ways makes it equivalent to generic fta twin tuner pvrs while retaining the convenience of the freesat epg.

I'm guessing the poster of this rubbish has a Windows PC and has installed some free software to add some capability to Windows. Does he consider he is guilty of infringing Microsofts IP ? :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guessing the posting was about the custom firmware that is available for the Foxsat-hdr. If so it shows a total degree of ignorance over what it actually does.
    Yes, I'm also pretty sure it's down to plain ignorance, but I'm just giving the poster a chance to explain their rather silly comment. :D
    Does he consider he is guilty of infringing Microsofts IP ? :eek:
    He is actually a she, or so their user profile claims. Interestingly the same sex as certain other anti-freesat poster called 'wgmorg' that used to frequent these forums who also had a very similar posting style.

Make of that what you will. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know when You Tube is coming to FREESAT, I am really looking forward to having it on my HUMAX 1000s PVR,:)

FREESAT really seem,s to be getting better and better all the time now:):)
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter05 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when You Tube is coming to FREESAT, I am really looking forward to having it on my HUMAX 1000s PVR,:)

They just say they hope for a launch day in March.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter05 wrote: »

ShaunW wrote: »
    They just say they hope for a launch day in March.
    Thankyou
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting article by Freesat's Head of Strategy Giles Cottle and the thinking behind YouTube coming to <free time>.

This paragraph says a lot about current offerings.
    The answer lies in our overall strategy. We are all about viewers. What they want, and what we think they might want – is what we will seek to deliver. When talking to viewers, the statement that comes up time and time again is that people have access to hundreds of channels, but think there’s never anything to watch. We want to put a stop to this, and we want <free time> to be the platform that allows viewers to get all of the content they want, easily and quickly, on one platform.

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/why-freesat-is-betting-the-house-on-html5/
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why internet built-in on tv and boxes is bad-gets made obsolète too quick. Connect a pc to the tv instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pauleoin wrote: »

Does anybody have any more information on this, I know You Tube seems to be doing well in France, So hopefully they will be a good add on service for FREESAT in the UK,
    FREESAT seem to be improving there platform all the time now, well done FREESAT:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like someone got banned again then. :D:D:D