Options

Safari quits constantly on new ipad Air

ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
Forum Member
Seen a bit about this on Apple support communities, but it's driving me nuts. I'm now exclusively using Chrome. Safari is ( acc to diagnostic run by Genius Bar tech) pulling too much processor power, so it quits. Happens a lot on the Guardian website, but on others as well. They have no idea why.

Anyone know if faults logged at Apple stores are sent through to Apple? I got the impression that they were blaming the websites (or me, or the weather etc).
Extremely annoying in such a premium device. Not sure how common the problem is? Of course they say it's a software issue so won't swap out a brand new iPad....iOS 7.0.4 latest version

Comments

• Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Guardian website, per se, is OK - it's the comments sections that bogs Safari down until it eventually quits. They changed the way comments works making it more onerous on browsers, still that should not be an excuse etc. I'm on iPad 4 BTW.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had no problems on my iPad retina 3 . Just since I've had the Air. I dropped the 3 and insurance replaced it. Apple won't swap it out as say it's not specific to the machine.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It almost sounds like the browser could be offering up a different user agent.

Have you tried 'private mode' and cleared cookies etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/23221434

"we're looking to see if there is a work around that doesn't take too much effort.The problem with Apple is they don't give us any indication that they acknowledge the bug"

"UPDATE: After a week now of using iOS 7.0.4 on iPhone 5 and brand new iPad Air I can report that the Safari crashing problem is, amazingly, EVEN WORSE than before. "

Not just you. My tin hat says that the Guardian is serving up a desktop web site when Apple prefers app use and/or a cut down mobile web site served up.

Likely to be what zapod says. Comments section has certainly changed/ maybe been farmed out.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes:

The Guardian have always served the iPad with the full desktop version of their website.

This appears to be a memory leak bug in WebKit as a result of changes made in iOS 7, and appears to have been addressed in iOS 7.1 beta 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well all I hope is that Apple are aware of it and issue a fix asap. I browsed the Guardian comments (some of them make me crash too) without any problem on iOS 6 and first update of 7 on my old iPad.
    It's not just the Graun website though; it happened again this morning on a football site.
    Extremely annoying on a premium priced device.
    Is it happening on the iPhone too? Don't have one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The Five Biggest Changes"

http://www.cultofmac.com/258057/whats-new-ios-7-beta-gifs/

So they missed one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From your link: Overall, iOS 7 beta 2 is mostly full of bug fixes

I've not had any crashing issues since updating to beta 2 last night, and I've been using Safari quite a bit during the day today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Roush wrote: »
    From your link: Overall, iOS 7 beta 2 is mostly full of bug fixes

I've not had any crashing issues since updating to beta 2 last night, and I've been using Safari quite a bit during the day today.

My Air's running 7.0.4. I don't know how to get a Beta update ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The beta releases are for developers.

7.1 will be released to the public early next year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did wonder whether the alternative browsers had now got Nitro webkit.

If Chrome works, I guess probably not, and useful if Nitro is beta like.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been tempted to upgrade from my iPad 1 to an iPad Air as mine keeps crashing in Safari and iTunes.

Now I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I've been tempted to upgrade from my iPad 1 to an iPad Air as mine keeps crashing in Safari and iTunes.

Now I'm not so sure.

Same, seems to be getting worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Getting unusable. Just quits all the time. I'm going to waste my time calling Apple support to complain.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This happens to me sometimes on the air but it is not too bad it's a minor niggle I still love having the air and would recommend it to anybody.

I wonder what the solution is it seems to happen most with websites that have comments below. I thought it might be disqus causing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's happened to me on sites with no comments' sections
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on an iPad Mini Retina now with iOS 7.0.4 and been looking at a random Guardian article. eg this one, and the comments do appear to be okay at the bottom. I've noticed in can take a few seconds for the comments to first appear when you navigate to the page. But after that it seems ok. Does this bug only affect the iPad Air? Or do you actually have to be signed in and post a comment? Not noticed the problem on any of the sites I visit TBH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    I'm on an iPad Mini Retina now with iOS 7.0.4 and been looking at a random Guardian article. eg this one, and the comments do appear to be okay at the bottom. I've noticed in can take a few seconds for the comments to first appear when you navigate to the page. But after that it seems ok. Does this bug only affect the iPad Air? Or do you actually have to be signed in and post a comment? Not noticed the problem on any of the sites I visit TBH.

Maybe you got lucky. It doesn't affect all ipad Air owners or there'd be more noise than there is right now about it. A friend has the Air and no problems.
    Which makes me want Apple to swap out my new Ipad but they won't.
    No, don't have to be logged into the guardian to have it quit. Although posting a comment isn't worth the effort it takes.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's happening on my iPad 4 a lot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....A friend has the Air and no problems.Which makes me want Apple to swap out my new Ipad but they won't.
    No, don't have to be logged into the guardian to have it quit. Although posting a comment isn't worth the effort it takes.
    Well it sound like a hardware fault if side by side one does and one does not crash.
    You also got mention of crashing when stressed also hints that it is 'not fit for purpose'.

This does not actually help and likely will not apply here, but the standard Apple policy elsewhere now has them "lying to customers" ..."Apple was applying its own warranties and refund policies effectively to the exclusion of the consumer guarantees "
    http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/apple-forced-to-adopt-new-refund-policy-under-australian-consumer-law-20131218-2zkkr.html
    "As part of the undertaking, Apple has promised to reassess all claims about faulty products purchased over the past two years and provide consumers with what they should be legally entitled to. "
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's extremely difficult to get Apple to admit to any OS faults. The Apple support communities (I get email updates to the original post on the problem) are humming with frustrated people with the same complaint.
    There will have to be a fix issued, but who knows when.
    My iPad failed a diagnostic test at the Apple store, but they insist no replacement as it's a "software" issue. Yes, their own. Safari.
    I imagine it must be happening on iPhones too?

The volume level on the Air on max volume is way lower than my iPad 3. Anyone else had issues with volume?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh great. It's now quitting on Chrome too. Opened arseblog's home page, tried to scroll down, froze, quit.
    Which is the best tablet alternative to an iPad?! If they don't issue a fix soon, I've had it. Have to use my laptop for web browsing which defeats the whole point of the ipad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9244949/Balky_browsers_tick_off_tablet_owners

Seems Safari on Air is quite Silk like, another more crash prone browser.

"Fixya recommended that iPad and Fire HDX owners regularly clear their browser's history "
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9244949/Balky_browsers_tick_off_tablet_owners

Seems Safari on Air is quite Silk like, another more crash prone browser.

"Fixya recommended that iPad and Fire HDX owners regularly clear their browser's history "

Yes, am clearing the history 2x daily. Apple store diagnosed a power overload on the iPad processor. Any proper fix will have to come from Apple. Right now they're just raking it in with Xmas sales no doubt.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any proper fix will have to come from Apple. Right now they're just raking it in with Xmas sales no doubt.
    iOS 7.1 is reported to fix a lot of these issues. Apple are working on it.