What is the opposite of a feminist?

fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
Forum Member
Why are men so threatened by a feminist woman? What is the male equivalent of a feminist? I don't think there is one, it's called being a man.

Comments

• Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't speak for all men, but I can't say I feel threatened by feminists.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I don't speak for all men, but I can't say I feel threatened by feminists.

Me neither in fact I'm very pro feminist myself
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are men's rights activists but the few I'm come across on the Internet seem to be more about maintaining traditional gender roles and the idea of male superiority.

If there are others who are about men not being expected to conform to such roles etc, such as being expected to be the main breadwinner, not to be emotionally as able to look after children and any other inequalities, I would of course support them.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn, that's a baity opening post.

FWIW - I've met many women who, rightly or wrongly, don't define themselves as feminists.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't feel threatened by feminism, equality should be a given and shouldn't need campaigning for.

I guess the opposite of feminism would be mysogony. (My phone is saying mysogony but others are spelling it differently... So if my phone is wrong, appologies for my illiteracy).

Semierotic wrote: »

FWIW - I've met many women who, rightly or wrongly, don't define themselves as feminists.

It is rather, let's see how long we can all respond normally before it explodes and goes the way of the dodo.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The opposite of feminism wouldn't be the name for a male would it?

I would have thought that the opposite of a feminist would be a woman who bought into female subservience
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Why are men so threatened by a feminist woman? What is the male equivalent of a feminist? I don't think there is one, it's called being a man.

Misogynist?
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the OP is confusing feminists with misandrists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the OP is confusing feminists with misandrists.

I was just about to suggest that

for males I keep thinking about uxorious but that pertains to their spouse
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some men are obviously very threatened by equality, which is what feminists want. It's not about hating men which they wrongly assume, its not about women being better than men it's about us being treated equally and fairly. I don't know why some men have such a problem with that?:confused:
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    masculinist / masculist
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some men are obviously very threatened by equality, which is what feminists want. It's not about hating men which they wrongly assume, its not about women being better than men it's about us being treated equally and fairly. I don't know why some men have such a problem with that?:confused:

Most don't

DS is not a typical representation of the population
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the one or two posts which have pointed out that some seem to be confused about what the opposite of feminism is.
    The opposite of feminism can't be misogyny, because the opposite of misogyny is misandry.

And feminism isn't about being anti-male (or shouldn't be), so the direct opposite would have to be a term which describes a belief in equality for men, not a term which describes a hatred of women.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »

The word has almost been hijacked by people who want to equate it with man-hater, extremist and even 'ugly - can't get a man' (I've seen it said) so I guess people don't want to associate with that.

To me, it just means not accepting the idea of male supremacy, hence the terminology (some argue for 'equalist' but that ignores the historical context and issue).
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    The word has almost been hijacked by people who want to equate it with man-hater, extremist and even 'ugly - can't get a man' (I've seen it said) so I guess people don't want to associate with that.

To me, it just means not accepting the idea of male supremacy, hence the terminology (some argue for 'equalist' but that ignores the historical context and issue).

Feminazi is my favourite. Because wanted to be treated equally is just like invading poland.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    Feminazi is my favourite. Because wanted to be treated equally is just like invading poland.

They might have to make to with invading Pound Land
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I agree with the one or two posts which have pointed out that some seem to be confused about what the opposite of feminism is.
    The opposite of feminism can't be misogyny, because the opposite of misogyny is misandry.

And feminism isn't about being anti-male (or shouldn't be), so the direct opposite would have to be a term which describes a belief in equality for men, not a term which describes a hatred of women.

Irrespective of what feminism means, from a language rules point of view, the opposite of "feminine" is "masculine", ergo the opposite of a feminist is a masculist.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol, that's good :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Yep. Useful signifier of what is to follow from the person saying it, as with Harriet Harperson.
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The feminists who earn that label are the radical feminists who go way beyond wanting mere equality. They are nutters who talk about their 'inner goddess' and who blame all the evils of the world on patriarchy. It's not a label I'd use myself because it's pretty clumsy, much like Scameron or Ed Millipede.
  • fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The opposite to feminism is surely the status quo.
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fleabee wrote: »
    The opposite to feminism is surely the status quo.

I dunno. "Come on sweet Caroline. Take my hand. Together we can rock and roll". That represents the abdication of patriarchal privilege in favour of an equal society.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    There are men's rights activists but the few I'm come across on the Internet seem to be more about maintaining traditional gender roles and the idea of male superiority.

If there are others who are about men not being expected to conform to such roles etc, such as being expected to be the main breadwinner, not to be emotionally as able to look after children and any other inequalities, I would of course support them.

Surely the opposite of a feminist is an anti-feminist. You're describing the equivalent.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaff wrote: »
    The feminists who earn that label are the radical feminists who go way beyond wanting mere equality. They are nutters who talk about their 'inner goddess' and who blame all the evils of the world on patriarchy. It's not a label I'd use myself because it's pretty clumsy, much like Scameron or Ed Millipede.

You'd think so, wouldn't you!?!
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Have you just awoken from a 40 year cryogenic sleep?