Best Concert Venue

Rolling StoneRolling Stone Posts: 238
Forum Member
What's the best place in the UK that you have ever been to for acoustics ? For me it was the Symphony Hall in Birmingham. Amazing !

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Barrowlands, Glasgow.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Albert Hall.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best I've been to is Royal Albert Hall

Worst is the London O2
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London Astoria.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newcastle City Hall is one of my favourites.

King Tuts in Glasgow as well.
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nottingham concert hall
  • LMLM Posts: 63,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London Astoria.

Yeah
    It's good there
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://kingsplaceevents.co.uk/conferences-events/hall-one/

for acoustics, kings place in London. it's basically specially built to be as technically acoustically perfect as possible. the place looks like it was built by ikea, it's a fantastic place

for venues in general, the barras is a fantastic place, it has a sprung floor as it used to be an old dancehall, so it gives the audience an extra bounce. also the weedgie punters who are always drunk, make for a special atmosphere you don't get anywhere else

also Ronnie scotts in London is an amazing place. it's like going back in time and it's a tiny place where legends play in a room that gives the feeling they are in your living room as it's not that much bigger. no real stage as such as the ceiling is so low. the band

the jazz café in London is also a great place. again small, and again legends play there. great sound and equipment too

and café de paris in London is another special place. also small, the stage is about 6 inches in height. very posh, and again it has the feel of the 50s or 60s but with all mod cons

one other mention about venues in general, I have to mention that the Birmingham phones4u arena have excellent security staff who get fans inside in a very orderly manner so if you turn up first, you get in first, if you are 42 in line, you are the 42nd person inside. they literally line people up and march them right into the venue without pushing and shoving and running - that's for the first so many people, the early birds they call them. it's madness at other arenas when people line up all day and multiple doors open at once and people running to get down the front, some doors opening before others and some not opening. Birmingham was completely chilled out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London shepherds bush is a great venue I've seen Melanie C live there and she rocked
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best arena I've been to is the Hydro but I don't recall any acoustics there, just big global stars

But they would do well there if they went
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to the Albert Hall and it is amazing for its acoustics.

For visuals hard to beat Dunluce Castle Car Park! Really.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In London my favourite venue is the Brixton academy. Its a beautiful old building with character it has a great sound system and its the perfect size for the gig (not to big) and has a sloped floor so you can see everything thats going on even if you're at the back.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    In London my favourite venue is the Brixton academy. Has a great sound system its the perfect size for the gig (not to big) and has a sloped floor so you can see everything thats going on even if you're at the back. Beautiful old building with character.

Yes, Brixton's not bad. Certainly better than Hammersmith Apollo, which sounds like someone has put a microphone next to someone's earbuds on the tube and then amplified it to earsplitting levels.

The Barbican is surprisingly good acoustically. Being in the City it's all-seated but you feel close to the musicians and it works well for artists who engage with their audience and chat between songs.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    University of East Anglia LCR venue or the Waterfront Norwich both are intimate enough to rock, the LCR being big enough for about 14000 and the Waterfront about 1200 and the sound in those small venues is amazing.

Most of the biggest rock bands have played there at some point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Best arena I've been to is the Hydro but I don't recall any acoustics there, just big global stars

But they would do well there if they went

you mean the SSE hydro in glasgow? the clyde auditorium next door is miles better in all aspects. better accoustics and it's all nicely furnished
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Yes, Brixton's not bad. Certainly better than Hammersmith Apollo, which sounds like someone has put a microphone next to someone's earbuds on the tube and then amplified it to earsplitting levels.

i think this is more to do with the PA and sound guys than the venue. done right the sound in the apollo can be perfect. it's also a much nicer venue generally. the academy can have a great atmosphere but the place is a dump. that's not to say a gig there could be more exciting than the apollo. each venue is more suited to a different type of gig really. but i've heard pretty awful sound at the academy and perfect sound at the apollo

someone mentioned sheperds bush empire, it's an interesting venue, but it depends on where you are located, and seeing a gig there earlier this year the bass was way too loud and i was at he soundboard so the sound should have been at it's best there

the roundhouse is a nice venue too, great staff, but it is a bit of a nightmare soundwise due to the layout of the venue
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Yeah
    It's good there

It was good there. Now it's gone.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »

i think this is more to do with the PA and sound guys than the venue. done right the sound in the apollo can be perfect. it's also a much nicer venue generally. the academy can have a great atmosphere but the place is a dump. that's not to say a gig there could be more exciting than the apollo. each venue is more suited to a different type of gig really. but i've heard pretty awful sound at the academy and perfect sound at the apollo
    You're right, some gigs do sound fine at the Apollo., though it's probably bands that err on the quiet side. The Guardian's guide to the Apollo says

"Like many of the old theatres and cinemas, the cavernous nature of the Apollo can sometimes render everything into an incredible sludge. Really, you're dependent on the skills of whoever is at the mixing desk. There are no problems with volume – in fact, some gigs here can be punishingly loud (points accusingly at Slayer)."

The trouble is, if the PA isn't turned up to eleven the audience at Hammersmith can be very noisy. They seem incapable of just watching a gig, they have to keep dashing off to buy more drinks and chatting through the songs. Maybe it's a west London thing as I've also had this at Bush Hall (the small venue in Shepherds Bush) where a group of women talked loudly all through a Gnarls Barkley gig. They clearly had no interest in the music, which begs the question why they even went to the show.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    In London my favourite venue is the Brixton academy. Its a beautiful old building with character it has a great sound system and its the perfect size for the gig (not to big) and has a sloped floor so you can see everything thats going on even if you're at the back.

What is the downstairs auditorium supposed to be?

I always get the feeling I'm in an "Italian Courtyard".

It is a great venue.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Barrowlands. The floor literally bounces!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    You're right, some gigs do sound fine at the Apollo., though it's probably bands that err on the quiet side. The Guardian's guide to the Apollo says

"Like many of the old theatres and cinemas, the cavernous nature of the Apollo can sometimes render everything into an incredible sludge. Really, you're dependent on the skills of whoever is at the mixing desk. There are no problems with volume – in fact, some gigs here can be punishingly loud (points accusingly at Slayer)."

The trouble is, if the PA isn't turned up to eleven the audience at Hammersmith can be very noisy. They seem incapable of just watching a gig, they have to keep dashing off to buy more drinks and chatting through the songs. Maybe it's a west London thing as I've also had this at Bush Hall (the small venue in Shepherds Bush) where a group of women talked loudly all through a Gnarls Barkley gig. They clearly had no interest in the music, which begs the question why they even went to the show.

I wouldn't pay too much attention as to the words of a newspaper journalist, especially the guardian, they are writers, often "freelance" (ie. have a normal job and write a bit on the side, and sometimes it's published), they aren't sound experts or they would be working in that field. it's not to say they are completely wrong, but pretty much most venues are at the mercy of the sound guys. some venues are harder to get right than others and it often depends on what equipment is being used, the engineer and even the artist

which leads to the audience. you don't need to have the sound at ear splitting volume. some people will chat through anything. you could have a relatively quiet/calm performance and a well behaved audience and they won't chat and the sound can be great, or you could be at the back of a loud gig near the bar and everyone is drinking and chatting. it's not necessarily a venue thing, but more a mix of different things, venue, artist, and crew, and then the punters

I don't think it's a west London thing either. folk chat at all sorts of gigs. at SBE I was lucky to avoid anyone chatting near me whilst the artist was on, but I couldn't speak for everyone else. in other parts of the venue such as near the bars, particularly the back bar that's in line with the stage (annoying place to have a bar at a gig, blocking all that space)

I wouldn't even call the Apollo cavernous. it's not that big, it's just standard theatre size. it's not like it's an arena. god knows what they would think of the MEN arena or the o2, those are cavernous. in the states the inside venues get even bigger and more cavernous. some of the arenas are massive. if you think the o2 upper level seats are nosebleeds you should see the American venues, scarily high
  • LMLM Posts: 63,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    It was good there. Now it's gone.

I am aware
    Forgot to refer to it in a past tense
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,917
    Forum Member
    This one gets slated a lot, but I quite like Shepherd's Bush Empire in London. I'm going to see Kacey Musgraves there on Sunday night. I've previously seen Laura Marling and Best Coast at that venue.

I saw Kasabian at Brixton in 2012. :) Very good night.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    worst - cardiff mil stadium, hyde park,

best - Birmingham symphony hall, royal albert hall, wembley arena
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    worst - cardiff mil stadium, hyde park,

best - Birmingham symphony hall, royal albert hall, wembley arena

Yeah I would go with Hyde Park being one of the worst,.

I was there yesterday for their BST concert (Acrade Fire).

It was a beautiful sunny day, so at least there were no worries about mud and rain, and I actually do like all the other stuff that goes on for the BST event (steel drums and Carniavl dancers stage was awesome), the mini fairground, even nice toilets, etc, but the stage setup and acoustics are way below what they should be.

Worse still is now the have a kind of split in the crowd with the VIP area taking up a third of the split as you face the stage, so with the barriers, etc, it feels like the non VIP area stops half way, if that makes sense.

Also yesterday, for some reason they decided to leave a massive speaker in front of one of the big screens, making it pretty unwatchable.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Best for me is Newcastle Metro - always lively and great atmosphere. It's not too big, not to small. Perfect. The O2 arena has the best seats though :D

Worst is Glasgows SECC. I saw Kylie there in 2011 and it was the most lifeless concert i've ever been too. Just about everybody was sat down all the way through :o We vowed never to go to the SECC again! We are going to the Hydro to see Gaga later this year though... hopefully it's an improvement!