Spiral V Other French Police Dramas

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've seen a good few French police procedural dramas on TV5 before BBC4 picked up Canal+ series Engrenages in the last decade or so. One of the most realistic of them was Central Nuit . There was also PJ and Le Crim. But apart from the final episode of Central Nuit which involved the device of a ghost, which detracted from it's effect, in the end, this was a great series. Spiral, [the English language version of the title] has been consistently impressive. I hope BBC4 goes further into French police series as we haven't really had one here of similar originality since 'The Sweeney' and that ended 35 years ago.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen a good few French police procedural dramas on TV5 before BBC4 picked up Canal+ series Engrenages in the last decade or so. One of the most realistic of them was Central Nuit . There was also PJ and Le Crim. But apart from the final episode of Central Nuit which involved the device of a ghost, which detracted from it's effect, in the end, this was a great series. Spiral, [the English language version of the title] has been consistently impressive. I hope BBC4 goes further into French police series as we haven't really had one here of similar originality since 'The Sweeney' and that ended 35 years ago.

Total agree, once you get used to the subtitles, you realise the quality drama were missing,that includes the Danes & Swedes as well...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Total agree, once you get used to the subtitles, you realise the quality drama were missing,that includes the Danes & Swedes as well...

Any sign yet of Spiral 5, on French TV? Or might still in production.
  • Coody MowCoody Mow Posts: 3,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not on BBC4 but it is on Fox (or FX as it was)...

'Braquo' is a brilliant French police drama, better than Spiral imho but then it does star my favourite actor whom I run a FB group for!

Season three is being recorded now, but check it out on-line, very gritty, very much in the manner of all these dramas. Worth a look if you have not heard of it before.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1429534/
  • rgoslingrgosling Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Les Rescapés - TV5 next Monday looks interesting.
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a link to that, rgosling please? Cheers.
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo featuring Rene Balcer a must see for both Braquo and Ronin fans.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    Jo featuring Rene Balcer a must see for both Braquo and Ronin fans.

I gave ‘Jo’ a chance, and then a second chance, but it just is very odd to me. A French drama, set in France, but the lead character speaks English in a French accent and everyone else in the programme (including the police team and everyone else they come across in Paris) speaks English with an American accent. Very odd. I’d love to know what the French viewers think.

As for Spiral, best foreign drama for me by a mile.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I gave ‘Jo’ a chance, and then a second chance, but it just is very odd to me. A French drama, set in France, but the lead character speaks English in a French accent and everyone else in the programme (including the police team and everyone else they come across in Paris) speaks English with an American accent. Very odd. I’d love to know what the French viewers think.

Agree. It's just outstanding, isn't it?
  • pondsmanpondsman Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    Recorded Spiral 4 and just getting round to watching the episodes now. Excellent! TV for grown-ups. Puts so many of our home-grown efforts in the shade.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I live in the U.K. but I'm from France, I subscribe to TNT SAT to get French language programmes.
    CSI New York is called Les Experts: Manhattan.
    If the tag VM, (version multi-langue) appears next to the title of what you are watching,
    then via the remote you can watch it in English, or dubbed into French.
    I watch French movies in French, but if they are dubbed into French some U.S./U.K. slang is translated weirdly
    so I find that I can understand the English spoken language better, as it seems to flow more easy..
    Personally I like Jean Reno, but Jo doesn't cut it for me.
    My cousin in Beauvais watches it dubbed into French and says that he is happy with the show.
    I think that Les Experts: Manhattan is also shown in Quebec dubbed in French.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    There's Braquo, but it's not on the same planet as Spiral. Spiral has important things to say about justice, criminality, social issues and so on, whilst Braquo is pretty much just about violent cops who never smile beating people up. I got fed up with it in the preposterous second series.

Nothing comes close to Spiral for me.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    dekaf wrote: »
    Agree. It's just outstanding, isn't it?
    I've just started re-watching Spiral from the very start and I agree -- it's second to none.

Can't wait for Series 5. :kitty: