Have you - do you- would you commit fronting?

Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A recent survey says 41% of parents are currently committing fronting, to help their children obtain motor insurance.

The survey also says 62% would do so in the future.

So, are you, have you in the past, or would you in the future, do it?

Comments

• chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, no and no
  • The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    I don't even know what it means.
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    If me being the policy holder and named as the main driver and having my missus using the car the most and not being down as business use classes as fronting then yes i'm guilty of it.

Wont do it any more though. All correctly insured now.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    I don't even know what it means.

Here you go:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10241769.stm
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand why people do considering how much insurance costs for young drivers. But if it means that the insurance could be invalidated, then it is foolish in the extreme.

I once rang up Tesco for a quote for my car insurance and the guy tried to persuade me to say my annual mileage was lower than it actually was, to get a lower quote. But if I'd had an accident I bet they would have refused my claim in the blink of an eye.
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    To be honest it would be almost impossible for them to prove who the primary driver was. And as long as you get the right Insurance company, you will build them up a named driver No Claims Discount, which they can wield themselve, in a few years.

The Insurance-sters have only themselves to blame

They were trying to justify £4K insurance for a young driver, for a shite Corsa on BBC News earlier today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Never. It's fraudulent, and probably leaves those that do it uninsured.
  • hotdiggity1hotdiggity1 Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand why people do considering how much insurance costs for young drivers. But if it means that the insurance could be invalidated, then it is foolish in the extreme.

I once rang up Tesco for a quote for my car insurance and the guy tried to persuade me to say my annual mileage was lower than it actually was, to get a lower quote. But if I'd had an accident I bet they would have refused my claim in the blink of an eye.

Of course they would not.

How can you possibly know what your mileage will be in the next 12 months?

Its to give the insurers a rough idea of your mileage and to filter out those who drive for business like salemen etc and will do considerably more than your average driver.

Unless you do that type of excessive mileage it wont even make any difference to your premium , let alone a claim
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    I thought it was another Two Ronnies reference...
    "Bunting and Frolics" etc. :p
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never ever. ;)
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How can you possibly know what your mileage will be in the next 12 months?

Its to give the insurers a rough idea of your mileage and to filter out those who drive for business like salemen etc and will do considerably more than your average driver.

Unless you do that type of excessive mileage it wont even make any difference to your premium , let alone a claim

No but you know what your average has been in the past. My average is about 13 - 14k a year but he said if I put down 10 I would pay less.

If I had then had an accident and claimed, then they would be able to tell that I had lied and they would not pay out. Insurance companies willl use any excuse to not have to pay out.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a waste .....I thought it was something sexual! :)
  • sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insurance companies are ripping off younger drivers. Even daft 17 year old lads who crash normally only end up busting their own car up, so when the companies are wanting thousands for Third Party Only cover, there is some serious robbery going on. Incidentally, I was shopping for a renewal the other day on the comparison websites. The cheapest Fully Comprehensive quotes were coming in at a not-unreasonable £375 or so, the dearest, at the bottom quoted £6,000???!!! Yeah, right :rolleyes:
  • geoff77geoff77 Posts: 217
    Forum Member

yes it will - go to any insurer and do an online quote. Modify the mileage and the quote will nearly always change
  • Sherry TrifleSherry Trifle Posts: 2,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first car (years ago) was brand new so insurance quotes for myself as owner and main driver were sky high, plus being brand new I had to go fully comp really, third party wasn't an option.

We put the log book in my mum's name, had the insurance policy in her name, with me as a named driver. :o

Would never do it now though.
  • warmleatherettewarmleatherette Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    A recent survey says 41% of parents are currently committing fronting, to help their children obtain motor insurance.

The survey also says 62% would do so in the future.

So, are you, have you in the past, or would you in the future, do it?

Yes I would, probably because the insurance company's are taking the piss with regards to young drivers and their premiums.

Young does not automatically mean boy racer anymore than old means senile and a risk.
    Forum Member
    How many 17 year olds realistically NEED a car in this day and age anyway, when very few of them work?
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( I reckon the 41% figure is closer to 75%.I know of many people who do it.
    I realise younger people are a higher risk.I was one myself once.Used to make some stupid mistakes due to my inexperience and thrill seeking.But to ask them to pay thousands of pounds for a 1.0 Corsa is outrageous.
    No wonder so many parents break the law.Especially with money being so tight these days.
    I think it'd be very difficult for an insurer to prosecute a policy holder they suspected of doing this.People realise this and it's a no brainer when it comes to being economical with the truth.
    It's not right.Illegal, and they'll shaft you if caught.But it's human nature to save money(thousands of pounds).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first car (back in 1997) had my dad as the main driver and me and my mum as named drivers but i was really the only one who drove it.

However it was a classic car (1956 standard super 10) and to get your own insurance through the classic car club you had to be 25 so at 17 this was the only way to do it.

My car was a darn sight safer then most - top speed was 86 and if you got anywhere over 60 the whole car shook like it was about to fall apart. yes it had no seat belts due to it age but it was as solid as a rock. Still got but its been off the road for a few years.

I certainly wouldn't consider fronting now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    How could they prove you were fronting? :confused:
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm nothing new surely?

I remember this going on when I was 17 which was back in the late 1980's and I'm sure it's been going on ever since youngsters have had cars.

Personally I think it's more immorale to charge a 17 year old £4000 for insuring a corsa 1.0l
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm nothing new surely?

I remember this going on when I was 17 which was back in the late 1980's and I'm sure it's been going on ever since youngsters have had cars.

Personally I think it's more immorale to charge a 17 year old £4000 for insuring a corsa 1.0l

:( Very true.Back in the mid 80's i was driving a Golf GTI fully comp for only £315 .How times have changed.
    I feel sorry for the young folk these days.
    Forum Member
    Hmmm nothing new surely?

Start your own insurance firm then, and charge a more appropriate amount. And then quickly go out of business.

Like I say, the amount of 17 year olds that genuinely NEED cars is miniscule.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Does it count when the car is registered in your mum/dads name and they are the main driver on the insurance but actually YOU are the one who is doing all the driving (as a named driver on the policy of course) and basically the car is yours?

Cos thats what *cough* someone I know did and I dont see anything wrong with it... :confused:
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    The Snakes wrote: »
    Start your own insurance firm then, and charge a more appropriate amount. And then quickly go out of business.

Like I say, the amount of 17 year olds that genuinely NEED cars is miniscule.

I think you will find young people getting shafted on Insurance covers 17, 18, 19, 20 year olds too. indeed pretty much any young and/or inexperienced driver.