Robocop Remake (merged)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    The remastered Blu Ray of the original is out today.

Odd that the lovely looking Steelbook version is delayed until the 17th of February :(
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Tribute wrote: »
    I'm still trying to work out why the suit changes colour in the trailer. Anyone know?

In the trailer doesn't Michael Keaton see Robocop and ask for him to be made more tactical; to make him black?

Im looking forward to this, Its not nearly going to be as violent as the original but it doesn't have to be. Violence will not make this film better, either its going to be good or its not.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Whereas the cartoon was a vertiable orgy of drug abuse, knee-capping and totalitarianism ! :D

It's a different beast for a different generation. Bear in mind that Verhoeven tends to go OTT, so it's easy to tell the same story without necessarily seeing hands getting blown off or spurting jugulars.

But where's the fun in that?

Anyway, the other Robo-remake thread is here:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1633809
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked at the trailers and think this just looks plain bad personally. They seem to be trying to re create the feel of the original, especially the news clip part, which looked ridiculous with Samuel L Jackson doing his usual over acting (yeah the original plays it broad but it works!). The guy playing Robocop just seems like a run of the mill beef cake, which adds no interest to the character at all. Weller added such charisma to this role and if you cant match that or at least make it completely different, don't go there! I'm sure the kids will love it and the action scenes will be decent but this will be another forgotten remake imo, unlike the original, which still holds up pretty well. There only a few clips to make these judgement but its all to apparent to me.

yeah its a new generation but that excuse doesn't cut it for me, it doesn't mean a remake should be so much worse than the original, what does that say about today's film making. it may even be a different vision, but it should still match the original in some way, otherwise why do a remake? for the new generation? it a cynical money making exercise, the new generation is capable of relating to past works. these remakes are pointless unless they are any good and this is the problem now, a constant flow of substandard remakes that will be forgotten.
    Forum Member
    ^^ A tad harsh. I agree with a lot of it and I know you're only telling us your personal viewpoint but the cast adds a lot to this film for me. Not so much the main male and female, they seem fairly generic but the supporting cast is very good. I think it will look spectacular, but I have my fingers crossed that the story is decent. We know the gist of it from the trailer but we don't know what else is in there.
    I don't mind that its a Robocop for the new generation. Violence does not make a good film, but it can make a good film better, if done right. Most remakes have been rubbish, but they're to churn out a good one at some point. Maybe Robocop is that film.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn`t it weird to think that 2014 is as far removed from 1987 as 1960 would`ve been back then?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Isn`t it weird to think that 2014 is as far removed from 1987 as 1960 would`ve been back then?
    Same sort of situation with The Thing a few years back with the original/Carpenter remake/new prequel.

A reminder that possibly film - and perhaps culture in general - doesn't go through such noticeable changes any more.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of people were moaning that this film won't have the witty humour, biting sarcasm and parodies of businesses and society that the original had. Really? How do you know? Have you seen the film already?

Perhaps you could point out where in the trailer and promotional material for the 1987 original these things existed? :confused: <rolleyes>

How about giving the thing a chance, it isn't going to be the best film ever made, but in today's world with things they way they are in Hollywood, it could at the very least be an enjoyable sci-fi movie that might now just have to rely on over the top violence and tons of swearing to be 'good'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    A lot of people were moaning that this film won't have the witty humour, biting sarcasm and parodies of businesses and society that the original had. Really? How do you know? Have you seen the film already?

Well, just as a "for-instance" the new director acknowledges the classic moment in the original where Ed-209 malfunctions and shoots the lawyer in the OCP boardroom. In his version apparently they attempt something similar but instead he says it`s a foreigner that gets blown apart. Doesn`t engender too much hope for a continuation of Verhoeven`s comic-book satire does it?
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Well, just as a "for-instance" the new director acknowledges the classic moment in the original where Ed-209 malfunctions and shoots the lawyer in the OCP boardroom. In his version apparently they attempt something similar but instead he says it`s a foreigner that gets blown apart. Doesn`t engender too much hope for a continuation of Verhoeven`s comic-book satire does it?
    I haven't read the interview that that comes from, so maybe the director goes into more detail, but how does the fact it's a foreigner that gets blown apart necessarily mean he's not going down the comic-book satire route of the original? It's not as if we got to know much about the poor bastard in Verhoeven's film for the scene to have any meaning beyond the fact that ED-209 had a 'glitch'. It's not established that Kinney's a lawyer. As far as we know, he's just a low-level exec. En route to the meeting, he even questions why he - and Morton and the black guy - have been invited, so he obviously doesn't have any real power or authority.

Frankly I'd be surprised if Padilha does go down the same route as Verhoeven, but I don't see how that one tiny detail leads you to that conclusion.
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Odd that the lovely looking Steelbook version is delayed until the 17th of February :(

I'd buy that for a dollar
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I haven't read the interview that that comes from, so maybe the director goes into more detail, but how does the fact it's a foreigner that gets blown apart necessarily mean he's not going down the comic-book satire route of the original? It's not as if we got to know much about the poor bastard in Verhoeven's film for the scene to have any meaning beyond the fact that ED-209 had a 'glitch'. It's not established that Kinney's a lawyer. As far as we know, he's just a low-level exec. En route to the meeting, he even questions why he - and Morton and the black guy - have been invited, so he obviously doesn't have any real power or authority.

Frankly I'd be surprised if Padilha does go down the same route as Verhoeven, but I don't see how that one tiny detail leads you to that conclusion.

I mention it because in the interview he seems quite defensive on that point as the interviewer appeared to be making the same point as above, that the satirical aspects of the original that meant it was praised across the board, might be absent from a straightforward generic action-orientated remake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe that it's a child that gets killed by a drone, as in the trailer we see a child in front of a drone and it's display screen says "non-threat" but when the boy points his finger at the drone, it stands back as if it is preparing to do something. The trailer moves on, but I think I remember it being said in an interview before that the drone then malfunctions over this and ends up blasting the hell out of the little boy and then at others around him, and there is of course a camera crew nearby doing a news report on the drones that gets caught up in this. How graphic they are with showing a child being killed I don't know, but there is some blood in the movie and some shots of body parts and organs with blood.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robocop remake? I'd buy that for a dollar (when it's in the bargain bin at Asda)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really not my kind of film but I might be tempted if Gary Oldman is in it! He doesn't seem to be on screen enough, these days - well, not in anything I really want to watch, anyway!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reviews coming from the Asian countries it has already been released in are mostly positive. Even some Americans who initially said they hated the idea and weren't impressed by the photos and trailers have downloaded a torrent of the film and now said that they were pleasantly surprised by it and that is actually is a good film.

1 week to go for us, I can't wait.
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, I think you're flogging a dead horse Paddy C, so give up.

You have 30 seconds to comply :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha! We will see...!
  • PandaPawPawPandaPawPaw Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    My biggest problem with this is that it simply looks like a guy wearing a rubber suit and not a guy that has been turned into a robot.

Plus the exposed hand doesn't help one bit adding to the the human wearing a suit thing.

It also keeps making me think it's a prototype suit and it hasn't been finalised yet even though that is what we're stuck with sadly. It just looks so incredibly dull.
    Forum Member
    Thats good news Paddy,glad to hear it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a reason he has a hand in the story, it's not just some weird design choice.

There are more suits than what you see in the trailers too, but if they showed you everything, why bother going to see the movie?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus the exposed hand doesn't help one bit adding to the the human wearing a suit thing.

I thought we agreed on total body prosthesis! :D
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a 12A so really what is the point????? Let the kids enjoy it, the beauty of the original is that it wasn't meant to be marketed for kids. Therefore you saw it as a kid and became impressed by the aesthetics, then you see it as an adult and be impressed by it's actual content as a cynical social commentary. I'll admit it looks good but there will be nothing else to delve into.
  • PandaPawPawPandaPawPaw Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I thought we agreed on total body prosthesis! :D

.....now lose the arm okay! :D

Clarence: Well give the man a hand!

:p