Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 7)

Comments

• valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggi wrote: »
    Last time Rob was sacked by Carla, he managed to assemble an invisible workforce and machinery for home workers, he undercut Carla on contracts and was well on his way to being a success when she caved in and gave him shares before Underworld went under (no pun intended).

This time Rob is almost skint, seen practically begging Peter for dosh, then winning and losing it on a horse in the space of two minutes and now he is worrying about what he will do when the five grand runs out and is scrapping around for jobs.

One convenient extreme to another.

I thought that too, why doesn't he just start up on his own again and steal Carlas contracts.?
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I thought that too, why doesn't he just start up on his own again and steal Carlas contracts.?

Didn't he actually hint at this to Tracey just after he was found out by Carla?
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not enjoying the scripts lately.

And I wonder who decided to turn Dev in Detective Columbo - complete with raincoat. Ridiculous and not even remotely funny. Will he start adopting Columbo's mannerisms soon?!

eerrrr.... just one other thing...

He needs a clapped out car.
  • valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    We must be getting closer to the time of Karl's exposure than previously imagined. There's a lot of stuff going on at the moment about the fire and whether Sunita was or wasn't in fact the arsonist.

I don't know
    when Stella and Karl get married but I have a feeling something might happen on their wedding day and he is exposed as the killer and arson. I am just speculating. It seems that soaps always seem to do that on wedding days.
    When you think back to weddings on soaps they never go smoothly do they?
  • RedpoppyRedpoppy Posts: 1,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karen1969 wrote: »
    Didn't Owen say he'd have the pub ready for the bank holiday but not the upstairs area?

The night of the opening of the Rovers, Gloria was fussing about what outfit to wear and went upstairs several times to change!
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    I don't know
    when Stella and Karl get married but I have a feeling something might happen on their wedding day and he is exposed as the killer and arson. I am just speculating. It seems that soaps always seem to do that on wedding days.
    When you think back to weddings on soaps they never go smoothly do they?

It certainly seems like the story is being moved on. Perhaps someone works out that Karl is the culprit and he bumps them off or something (unless they plan to bring the whole thing to a head in one go).
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    fayemian wrote: »
    I rewatched the arguement over the baby's incubator scene, and was similarly astonished by the lack of nurses. Wouldn't these tiny, sick babies have medical staff there 24/7? Wouldn't there be strict controls about hand washing, maybe even gowning up before you enter? It seems anyone can just stroll in, and then if they decide to have a huge bust-up there, no one says a word.

Unless its the same nurses who were at Sunita's intensive care ward maybe? That'd explain their uselessness...

It was the same with baby hope and EE Scarlett.

In Nicu ITU babies are nursed 1:1 , there are no single rooms either.
    The consultant would be well aware of babys parentage but would've spoken to Tina as Gary and Lizzie have not adopted Jake so they are not his legal guardians
  • stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not enjoying the scripts lately.

And I wonder who decided to turn Dev in Detective Columbo - complete with raincoat. Ridiculous and not even remotely funny. Will he start adopting Columbo's mannerisms soon?!

just one more thing

did you know we have spaghetti hoops on two for the price of one today
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time Rob was sacked by Carla, he managed to assemble an invisible workforce and machinery for home workers, he undercut Carla on contracts and was well on his way to being a success when she caved in and gave him shares before Underworld went under (no pun intended).

This time Rob is almost skint, seen practically begging Peter for dosh, then winning and losing it on a horse in the space of two minutes and now he is worrying about what he will do when the five grand runs out and is scrapping around for jobs.

That storyline was far more of a SOR than the current one though. In a week Rob managed to get a new flat, a new car and start a new business stealing all the work from Carla's established factory with only a few grannies and their sewing machines working in their front rooms.

If they go down that route again it will be ridiculous, not to mention repetitive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That storyline was far more of a SOR than the current one though. In a week Rob managed to get a new flat, a new car and start a new business stealing all the work from Carla's established factory with only a few grannies and their sewing machines working in their front rooms.

If they go down that route again it will be ridiculous, not to mention repetitive.

I think I was trying to say that the first storyline was an SOR, as is this one. One extreme to another.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    stevepjk wrote: »
    just one more thing

did you know we have spaghetti hoops on two for the price of one today

I bet they're sainsburys own brand ones too
  • fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have the groom and groom got nothing better to do on their wedding day than talk to Sean and Marcus? :D

and i still think the black lad looks like he's about to chew an apple off someone's hand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both of the gay couple were talking to Marcus like they were old friends. I thought the dark guy told Sean that he had returned from abroad and met the other guy, in some other town so he wasn't local. So how did he know Marcus?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amysmum wrote: »
    Both of the gay couple were talking to Marcus like they were old friends. I thought the dark guy told Sean that he had returned from abroad and met the other guy, in some other town so he wasn't local. So how did he know Marcus?

Apparently they went on anti-clause 28 marches together. But as the Marcus character is supposed to be 35 (yes, i looked on wikipedia :D) he would have been going on that march aged about ten as clause 28 was 1988 (yes, I wikipedia-ed that too...)
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amysmum wrote: »

H didnt, the writers just wrote it in forgetting we actually watch Corrie and know what is happening.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    SOR1: Coronation Street doesn't appear to have heard of the concept of bisexuality.

SOR2: It's your wedding day, you're talking to supposed friends that you haven't seen for years and you start an argument with them over something to do with their private life, as though you are their very best friend and they've betrayed you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    SOR1: Coronation Street doesn't appear to have heard of the concept of bisexuality.

SOR2: It's your wedding day, you're talking to supposed friends that you haven't seen for years and you start an argument with them over something to do with their private life, as though you are their very best friend and they've betrayed you.

i know. If I was Marcus I'd've been tempted to say 'Oi, keep your opinions to yourself, Mr Ed.'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The viewer is being "primed" by the script writers. The rat belongs to the fat lad on the street who seems to be always letting it loose. I think you will see the rat was out on the street the night of the rovers fire with the fat lad following behind. The rat gets into the Rovers celler and bites the mains cable and the sparks set fire to the Rovers. The fat lad is also in the celler and catches the rat. They both leave just before Karl arrives.
    Did you see the fat boys face in the Kabin when Dev and Karl were talking?

Do you watch this programme?!
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,592
    Forum Member
    As if it wasn't bad enough with Chesney forever bumping into Ryan & Katy every time he walked outside, we now have Karl who just happens to be within feet of Dev every single time he questions someone about Sunita's death.

I know it's not a big city but come on!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    I was thinking that too, Karl is conveniently everywhere at the moment! It's starting to grate on me now, can't wait for him to be found out.
  • nicolab23nicolab23 Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    I rewatched the arguement over the baby's incubator scene, and was similarly astonished by the lack of nurses. Wouldn't these tiny, sick babies have medical staff there 24/7? Wouldn't there be strict controls about hand washing, maybe even gowning up before you enter? It seems anyone can just stroll in, and then if they decide to have a huge bust-up there, no one says a word.

Unless its the same nurses who were at Sunita's intensive care ward maybe? That'd explain their uselessness...

As previously mentioned, babies in NICU are monitored pretty much 1:1, there are NEVER no staff in the vicinity, incidentally, there are alarms going off on a regular basis too as these babies are unstable and unpredictable. It's also a myth in all soap SCBU that the rooms are in dimmed light, they are not.
    There certainly are strict rules about hand washing and many, but not all, units will insist on an apron being worn, not gowned up though.
    All units are monitored via a locked door usually with a door bell/camera system. Visiting on these wards is strictly limited as exposure to any infection can be fatal, tommeh would have no place there at all.
    Finally, if there was an argument going on over the incubator, security would be called and the offenders removed, no question. These are the sickest babies and this would never be permitted
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Arent all wards with babies locked, not just nicu? In corrie anyone can wander in and touch the babies and by the looks of it you have access to all the babies not just your own. In the hospital i work at i cant even access the paediatric departments as my card only allows me access to adult wards. So there would definitely be no wandering in whenever you feel like it.
  • FrankieSFrankieS Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Nice to see McDonald's barnet shrinking from one scene to the following.
  • nicolab23nicolab23 Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Arent all wards with babies locked, not just nicu? In corrie anyone can wander in and touch the babies and by the looks of it you have access to all the babies not just your own. In the hospital i work at i cant even access the paediatric departments as my card only allows me access to adult wards. So there would definitely be no wandering in whenever you feel like it.

Yes you're right. I too work in a hospital and have no access to kids wards or scbu etc. I also have experience of being the parent of a NICU baby and where we were parents had access 24/7, the grandparents and siblings had an allocated hour on Saturday and Sunday. Sorry this is deviating slightly from the SOR thread, but highlights the absolute SOR that is corrie and its hospital scenes. Suggests little or no research.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i know. If I was Marcus I'd've been tempted to say 'Oi, keep your opinions to yourself, Mr Ed.'

PMSL! :D:D:D

But, yes you're right! Such a load of cobblers that 2 people supposedly so in love would be pre-occupied on their wedding day about the gender of the partner of a distant acquaintance! Just ridiculous!
This discussion has been closed.