Options

Are Lenovo brand any good?

LennieLennie Posts: 25,362
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My PC of 6 years is playing up - packard bell imedia, vista, 500gb and 4gb memory and intel core 2 quad. 32 bit operating

So im looking for a reasonable tower to replace it, i dont need a screen just the tower system

Are Lenovo any good? esp this one i am looking at?
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/lenovo-h500s-desktop-pc-10010869-pdt.html

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lennie wrote: »
    My PC of 6 years is playing up - packard bell imedia, vista, 500gb and 4gb memory and intel core 2 quad. 32 bit operating

So im looking for a reasonable tower to replace it, i dont need a screen just the tower system

Are Lenovo any good? esp this one i am looking at?
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/lenovo-h500s-desktop-pc-10010869-pdt.html

It's a very small/slim case, so it might not be easy to upgrade hardware. However, if you haven't upgraded your old PC in 6 years it might be fine.

There are some good deals on PCs without monitors on Dell Outlet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice

I dont do much on my pc.... mainly email, internet, watch online tv and downloads and so on... so basically im hoping this will be fine...
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenovo are fine as a brand, the few people I know that got one of their products they seem to be happy with them.

Not so sure about the machine you picked mind you, the CPu seems a bit weak, but I suppose for the price it is ok and it will do what you want to do, since you been using a six year old machine to do the same thing.

Plenty of memory on the machine which is good.

For the price it seems ok, even if it is from PC world.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is your budget?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My budget is £250 for now... esp if its just a tower which i am going for

My pc right now is Intel Core 2 quad cpu q800 2.33 ghz

I always get confused with Intel processor, so if my current processor is the one i just listed, how is that compared to what i am thinking of getting from lenovo (from currys/pc world)

I looked at dell outlet, but they are reburbished?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wouldn't worry about a refurb, quite often its a machine thats been sent back due the customer not fancying it now so they get it back check it over and retest it and ship it out cheaper and normally they have the same warranty as the new ones, the only downside can be a tattier looking box when the bloke knocks on the door but i doubt the kids or cats will care about that when playing in the 'fort'

and as for lenovo, they're basically IBM stuff made in china so while IBM's sold the brand off they're keeping to the big blue sort of quality
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    and as for lenovo, they're basically IBM stuff made in china so while IBM's sold the brand off they're keeping to the big blue sort of quality

I don't know if I'd go that far, the ThinkPad has been steadily decreasing in quality from the IBM days, and the new product lines (like the edge series) are an insult to the ThinkPad brand.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenovo are a pretty good make I have a laptop. The parts inside the laptop or the desktop are key rather than brand on box. The laptop does lack the metal brush steel finish that Samsung would have had then again it was 500 pounds more for the same hardware spec inside it.

Personally I would have looked at an I-core 3 processor like this one. It has a much bigger disc drive but only 4 gig of ram. Still ram is cheap you can always up grade it later and put more in. If you are looking to store and maybe edit video / images the extra power of the I core 3 will be a better choice. It is really down to what you want to do with it how much disc space you need etc.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/lenovo-h520e-desktop-pc-10011086-pdt.html
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally good, though they have let the Thinkpad line decline. Still quite robust, though there are reports from some users that the build quality isn't as good as it used to be.. The design certainly has gone downhill, especially on the T and W series laptops. But for a desktop you can't go wrong, and their warranty is quite good.
  • Options
    tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, I bought the model you listed in your first post.
    As I have a 1TB and a 2TB HHD connected I wasn't fussed about a larger HDD internally. I was after more RAM than the "average" 4GB models. This model does not have a HDMI output but I won't be connecting to the TV anyway. As said above it is small compared to the older towers at 14" deep, 12" high and 4" wide. Also it is very quiet as I can only hear it from about a foot away.
    Got mine with a student discount so paid £217.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My only concern is the processor Intel® Pentium® Processor J2900 (2.41 GHz, Burst 2.66 GHz, 2 MB cache), is it a good one.. but hearing that Intel Core are better?

Bluescope wrote: »
    Lenovo are a pretty good make I have a laptop. The parts inside the laptop or the desktop are key rather than brand on box. The laptop does lack the metal brush steel finish that Samsung would have had then again it was 500 pounds more for the same hardware spec inside it.

Personally I would have looked at an I-core 3 processor like this one. It has a much bigger disc drive but only 4 gig of ram. Still ram is cheap you can always up grade it later and put more in. If you are looking to store and maybe edit video / images the extra power of the I core 3 will be a better choice. It is really down to what you want to do with it how much disc space you need etc.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/lenovo-h520e-desktop-pc-10011086-pdt.html

Basically just for surfing, downloading music, movies, tv shows, email, social media and office and storage for photos and so on.... thats all i do on it, but my pc is on everyday for hours and so on
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't speak for the quality of Lenovo these days but I've an 'old' Thinkpad, T400 which I still use (ham radio) and its build quality is still very very good as was the other two of the Thinkpad range I owned.

Blooming heck, thinking back I believe I paid around £1000 for it new !!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about customer services yet. Bought a laptop from ebuyer 2 months ago, which has developed a fault. They say 'not our problem' as its over 28 days since I bought it...Lenovo have emailed me some software to run & then call them up with the 'error' messages (if any)

Not sure how that will pick up a 2 inch line that appears on the screen & genera slowness/unresponsiveness..
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I can't speak for the quality of Lenovo these days but I've an 'old' Thinkpad, T400 which I still use (ham radio) and its build quality is still very very good as was the other two of the Thinkpad range I owned.

Blooming heck, thinking back I believe I paid around £1000 for it new !!!

I've got a Lenovo T430s (i5, 8gb) which is a pretty good laptop, well built - and it would be fast if it wasn't for issues with the OS build (its a company machine with a 32bit OS - can't even address half of its physical memory).

After a bit of browsing I've ordered a Lenovo G510 for my son; £330 with an i3-4000M which is about twice as fast as the J2900 listed in the OPs link - in short, the J2900 isn't that great.

The Dell linked earlier with a G3240 or an i3-4150 are leagues ahead - heck, that i3-4150 is close to the speed of my older i7 laptop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    The Dell linked earlier with a G3240 or an i3-4150 are leagues ahead - heck, that i3-4150 is close to the speed of my older i7 laptop.

I'm sorry, but an i7 would destroy an i3 with any kind of CPU intensive task, might be close if the i7 was an early U variant. Would definitely feel 'snappier' on the desktop with a fast i3 as opposed to a mobile i7 on battery. But that would be apples and oranges.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but an i7 would destroy an i3 with any kind of CPU intensive task, might be close if the i7 was an early U variant. Would definitely feel 'snappier' on the desktop with a fast i3 as opposed to a mobile i7 on battery. But that would be apples and oranges.

Its a desktop (i3-4150) versus laptop (i7-2630QM) processor comparison. The i7 is only about 10% faster, and speed per core is considerably faster on that specific i3. Overall responsiveness is likely going to be better on the i3, and it goes to show how far processors have come in 3 years.

So no, an i7 wouldn't necessarily destroy an i3.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think Lenovo are one of the better brands out there. Didn't they used to be IBM? I don't know anyone with a Lenovo laptop but from what I've seen they seem to be ok and more on the mid-high end of the market rather than the cheap pile of dung end of the market. They would probably be approved by my household IT policy :p As for buying the computer, have you looked at John Lewis? It might be more expensive but the aftersales service is excellent and better than Currys PC World or an online store.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    2 Lenovo devices here. Desk & Lap. Both great.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Well I have a Lenovo 10 inch tablet. It's excellent, with one exception: it's hard to at the moment find a dedicated cover to fit it (other than those rubbish elastic-banded universal covers). Otherwise, it seems to be fine as a brand.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My work laptop is a Lenovo (T430, Core i7). It's not especially pretty but really well built and weighs a ton. Ideal as a desktop replacement as it rarely leaves my desk but I wouldn't want if I did a lot of travelling or a wanted to pose with it in coffee shops.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    My work laptop is a Lenovo (T430, Core i7). It's not especially pretty but really well built and weighs a ton. Ideal as a desktop replacement as it rarely leaves my desk but I wouldn't want if I did a lot of travelling or a wanted to pose with it in coffee shops.

If you want to pose with your laptop in a coffee shop (especially Starbucks) then a Macbook Air is the laptop to get :D