Options

Will there soon be too many supermarkets?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
Lots of new Aldi stores and Tesco, Morrisons are opening new ones all the time too.

I think there will become too many and then some will close down because they don't get enough customers.

Comments

• Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There'll be a price war, then casualties, then normal service based on supply and demand will resume.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing new though.

Since the early 90's, my home town has seen Tesco (yes, I did say Tesco), Co-op, Netto and Somerfield all close and our ASDA, whilst seeing new bits added, was downgraded from a superstore to a supermarket - the same type of ASDA stores which took over other Netto stores. The last four things happened during the naughties and boom times in the economy.

We have gained a Morrisons and a Aldi.

I'm far more worried about the rents charged within the shops on our main street - 30-50% higher rents compared to neighbouring towns and cities with bigger population reach. Farmfoods closed this week, two others plan to, one is in administration and there are fears for several more. The same towns and cities also have investment flowing into them, such as shopping complexes, cinemas, hotels, restaurants and out of town shopping retail parks. I was in agreement with the chairman of Bassetlaw District Council on Twitter about this very issue.
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of new Aldi stores and Tesco, Morrisons are opening new ones all the time too.

I think there will become too many and then some will close down because they don't get enough customers.

If some close down then there will be the same as before wont there.:confused:
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    There are already too many supermarkets *cough* Tesco *cough*.

As if supermarkets haven't done enough damage already with driving small businesses out of business and the sheer wastefulness which comes part and parcel with such stores.

Still, they appear to be a good source of horse meat.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't that for the market to decide? If there are "too many" then some will close down.

I think there will be a move away from the mega-sized supermarkets selling everything towards more smaller and medium sized stores. Ten years ago buying everything from a TV to a pair of jeans along with your groceries was a new concept but now a lot of the non-food shopping has gone online. People don't want to travel 10-20 miles to a huge supermarket but want something closer that is more convenient.

Within 2 miles of me, all of the "Big 4" have got current planning applications in for new stores although only one or two are likely to be approved.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    More supermarkets should mean more choice, competition and lower consumer prices :) and more opportunities for them to sell us minced horse heads in food products :cry:.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    There are already too many supermarkets *cough* Tesco *cough*.

As if supermarkets haven't done enough damage already with driving small businesses out of business and the sheer wastefulness which comes part and parcel with such stores.

Still, they appear to be a good source of horse meat.

Parking is big problem on the high street. At least I can get parked at a supermarket. I only wish town centres were more car friendly.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Apparently the boom is now in these big firms (Tesco, Morrisons etc) opening small convenience stores.

There was an item about this on Radio 4 last week in which an executive (of Morrisons I think) was discussing the matter.
    I was amused by the fact that, without a hint of irony, and giving the impression that this was a groundbreaking concept, described these "pioneering" stores as being "convenient, community-based outlets where people might even go on foot and get their goods".

Well, knock me down... with a mangle.
    Small local shops....based in the community.... easily accesible.
    How on earth has no-one thought of these before??!
    Oh... yes we have... like centuries ago... only they've all been closed down.... by Tesco, Morrisons etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Apparently the boom is now in these big firms (Tesco, Morrisons etc) opening small convenience stores.

There was an item about this on Radio 4 last week in which an executive (of Morrisons I think) was discussing the matter.
    I was amused by the fact that, without a hint of irony, and giving the impression that this was a groundbreaking concept, described these "pioneering" stores as being "convenient, community-based outlets where people might even go on foot and get their goods".

Well, knock me down... with a mangle.
    Small local shops....based in the community.... easily accesible.
    How on earth has no-one thought of these before??!
    Oh... yes we have... like centuries ago... only they've all been closed down.... by Tesco, Morrisons etc.

LOL :D yes, Welsh-lad. Morrisons recently acquired some former HMV stores to increase the number of their M Local outlets: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/feb/26/morrisons-buys-hmv-local-stores
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Family run stores will be the biggest losers
  • Options
    greendayfan6greendayfan6 Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where on earth is all this food coming from and who is making it?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Parking is big problem on the high street. At least I can get parked at a supermarket. I only wish town centres were more car friendly.

Could most town centers handle the volume it would bring if everyone and their dog decided to drive into town as there would be gridlock and as much wishing for the out of town stores to open back up as at least you didn't have to spend an hour to find a spot and when you do its 5 mins walk and you don't have a trolley to carry all your purchases to your car
  • Options
    leslie caseleslie case Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    yes there is alot of them
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss Safeway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I miss Safeway.

...which became my local Morrisons and, to be fair, they have a fair range of stuff and a cafe that serves proper portions at good prices.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In certain towns there is a backlash to all the supermarkets and dull convenience stores. It's locally owned stores with local produce. Some are doing well - as long as the rent isn't crippling.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    yes there is alot of them

I do too because I don't like the Morrisons logo
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...which became my local Morrisons and, to be fair, they have a fair range of stuff and a cafe that serves proper portions at good prices.

Mine did too. I can't get in to morrisons. It's so dated and grubby.
    All the trollies are rusted.
    The sandwiches too; disgusting.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »

Parking it one big problem. The other is opening hours. Maybe I would go to my High Street butcher and baker if only there was some free parking available and they were open later, say until 8pm. What's the point in shops being open 9-5pm when most people are at work then?

If down my High Street at 8pm the only places open are bars, bookies and takeaway joints which makes the area a no-go zone for many people.

I know councils cannot afford to make all town centre parking free as there is a limited supply but you could offer 30-60 mins free or give an hour's free parking if you spent a minimum of, say, £10 in local businesses.

If town centres are going to fight back against the out of town stores then they need some more innovative thinking rather than just moaning about the situation.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got Sainsbury's a 10 minute walk in one direction and Morrison's a 10 minute walk in the other.

Tesco's have been trying for years to open in between the two, and so far have been unsuccessful, so opened one of the Express ones instead about 2 miles away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    Mine did too. I can't get in to morrisons. It's so dated and grubby.
    All the trollies are rusted.
    The sandwiches too; disgusting.

Perhaps it's down do different local managers cos that store sounds like a bit of a horror story but my local one seems perfectly OK.
  • Options
    SouthernerSoutherner Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we are fortunate to have so many supermarket chains to choose from in a small country like ours - more choice, more competition and lower prices (ok, not always). Australia for example only has two chains offering same or similar prices which is not that competitive.

In Ireland Tesco gets criticised a lot because they are bigger over there also set the prices as high they wish, they stock wider range of products than other Irish supermarkets like Dunnes or Supervalu. If Asda & Sainsburys opened up then Tesco probably will be forced to lower their prices. Asda was rumoured to be opening around Sligo, Letterkenny & Dundalk - closer to their storage depot in Northern Ireland - few years ago but this never happened probably due to the financial crisis.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there is no question, that on mass the supermarket top 4 are massive and have far too many stores, and it feels like there is always a new Tesco Express opening somewhere, be it in a petrol station, or a former pub.

One Stop are Tesco as well.

Round my way, Tesco seem to be the only people who have gone into local stores, and whilst Morissions is opening alot of stores, the only new ASDA ive seen recently is an ASDA Living.

Ive also seen developers fight very hard for the right to build a supermarket, but then they never do.

edit: whats scary is that this is owned by Tesco.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    It's good for consumers if there are more, competitive pricing... unless of course they secretly price fix between themselves!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My nearest town isn't even that big but it has absolutely loads of supermarkets and more seem to be opening all the time.

Large shops with lots of parking - two Morrisons, a massive Sainsburys and a medium sized Sainburys, two Marks & Spencers (one normal including food, one just food), Tesco and Lidl. Then there's also two Iceland, one Farmfoods, the Co-op, plus several Spars... at least three that I can think of. There's probably more that I've forgotten. There's also rumoured planning permission for two more supermarkets in town.

Five to ten mins drive from this town are two Asdas (plus another couple Morrisons and Sainsburys).