Options

has anyone used Wowcher or Groupon?

mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've signed up to Wowcher and Groupon, and before I start taking advantage of the massive savings I'm just wondering if they are as good as they look?

I know on Watchdog last year they did a feature about a lady who owned a bakery and had lots of people coming in for free cakes offered by Wowcher and she had no idea that this was supposed to happen, she claimed they never asked permission and she lost a lot of money.

Ive been looking on there for holidays, and there's a computer tablet for £60 that's supposed to be £200, my dads birthday is coming up and I know how much he wants a tablet, but it just seems too good to be true.

Has anyone used these websites for more expensive things and did you get the goods you'd paid for? It seems great for mini breaks in the UK and abroad but I'd worry about parting with money only to turn up at a destination and be told its not legit.

Comments

• Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a colleague who uses Groupon frequently, mostly for short UK breaks.

They end up in some unglamourous locations and often with family rooms - not exactly a romantic interlude with your adolescent lad sharing - but for a good family few days out exploring random bits of Britain they get an excellent deal on accommodation.
  • Options
    StinkerbellStinkerbell Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    I've used Groupon Goods several times and never had a problem. Mostly I buy smaller items (printer cartridges etc) but I bought a bed and a TV from them and both were fine.

I have friends who had problems with the experience deals - one bought a hairdressing deal but was not able to get an appointment! Another bought ice skating vouchers but then found they could only be used on a Wednesday evening. I guess like everything else as long as you read the small print you'll be fine.

Check out the price of the tablet on other sites and if £60 is a good price then I'd say go for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't but a friend booked a weekend through Groupon and it went without a hitch.

It does seem that they don't treat their suppliers very well.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use groupon a fair amount, mostly for services and eating out. Been back to a few places due to their quality. Groupon holidays are supposed to be competitive though can be restrictive in travel dates. Should add we've had issues once or twice with vendors failing to honour the voucher (I guess they got caught out by the volume) and groupon have been pretty quick in sorting the issue out.

Don't be fooled by the huge discounts, a lot of the time they are only 5% or 10% cheaper then you can get elsewhere and sometimes even more expense.
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend used to tell me about it and I was like - I don't want to do those things in the first place so its not really saving money is it?
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I used to work for a major competitor of groupon. Most of the discount percentages you see are nonsense. It was never anything near that price in the first place. A lot of the stuff is cheap tat from china, etc as well. A lot of companies only exist to sell tat on the 'deal' websites.

However you do find the odd genuine company and the occasional bargain, but 9/10 its not worth it.
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have wondered if you go to a restaurant or on holiday with your Wowcher/Groupon discount, if they treat you differently to the people who have paid full price.

Having done a bit of research that tablet is from a website called Chimp Electronics (never heard of them!) And seems to be exclusive to then, it does say its £209 on their website.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to a restaurant one evening and was asked by the waiter if I was there via Groupon, which I wasn't so I looked it up. Found a lot of negative reviews for the restaurant's Groupon deal - small portions, limited choice - whereas I had a good meal there. So it looks like the deals are not a genuine discount, but a cheap meal created just for Groupon customers.

On the other hand, I got a good deal on music downloads through Groupon. However I was then bombarded with emails for offers I had no interest in so I unsubscribed.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,186
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    My friend used to tell me about it and I was like - I don't want to do those things in the first place so its not really saving money is it?

Well sort of the point of it is you wait until you see something you want.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,186
    Forum Member
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    I have wondered if you go to a restaurant or on holiday with your Wowcher/Groupon discount, if they treat you differently to the people who have paid full price.

Having done a bit of research that tablet is from a website called Chimp Electronics (never heard of them!) And seems to be exclusive to then, it does say its £209 on their website.

I've used Groupon and Livingsocial for about 10 different restaurant visits and never felt I was treated any differently. Best one was to a local restaurant which I go to a lot anyway, it's normally £20 for 3 courses but the Groupon was £20 for 3 courses and a drink for 2 people, same menu as everyone else got.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've eaten out plenty of times using groupon and never had a problem. The whole point is for them to get customer through the door for the first to a place they won't normally go to, and a lot of deals say new customers only. Then hopefully convert a few percent of those to regulars. Why would they give bad service to new customers ?
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I used to use them for meals out etc but I stopped in protest.

I had a couple of vouchers that had past its expiry date by one day, so I rang the restaurants to ask if they would still honour my voucher as it had already been paid for, they said yes but just needed Wowcher to re-issue the voucher again, however Wowcher wouldn't re-issue the voucher unless I paid for it again!!!
    I then went into the restaurant anyway and explained and they still gave me the deal as they were lovely, but I won't use wowcher again.
    I wouldn't have minded if the restaurant themselves said no, as it was my fault I was late in booking, but it was wowcher who were being dicks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have wondered if you go to a restaurant or on holiday with your Wowcher/Groupon discount, if they treat you differently to the people who have paid full price..

Used it 2-3 times in restaurants. In one we were treated like lepers!
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch the small print because trips away are usually restricted to more unpopular days/times/months and those that include meals often offer a very limited menu. I stopped using groupon because I've had a few vouchers rejected by the supplier and groupon will only offer a credit note against another purchase rather than a refund.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,432
    Forum Member
    I've read too many bad reviews of both services on consumer review sites such as Trustpilot to ever go near Groupon or Wowcher.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have used quite a few, with on the whole good experiences. The companies that issue them no doubt treat it as marketing - so why would they give you a bad meal? If they do, you will never return, and never recommend them.

Having said that, i have only had one restauarant out of about 20, offer a similar deal for a return visit.

I think quite a few places resort to groupon for custom when they are already in difficulties, which probably wont help too much.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On a similar thing, last year i went to ibiza with my son on an all inclusive holiday, booked at short notice. Similar thing, and we had a terrific week. I am pretty sure we werent treated any differently.