Options

Sky News apologises after presenter is seen looking through MH17 luggage

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Fergal Keane report was first broadcast on the BBC News last night with a warning. It was repeated this morning on Breakfast with a few minor edits to change shots and there was no warning.Repeating reports from the previous night's news now seems to be common practice on Breakfast - a John Simpson report was repeated recently and although the story had moved on no changes were made. Personally I think these ''warnings'' are pointless because they do not tell you the nature of what viewers ''might find disturbing'' and is simply the programme editor abdicating responsibility instead of doing his/her job and deciding what is appropriate to be shown at a certain time within BBC guidelines.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember Mrs Thatcher wandering all over the Lockerbie crash site in 1988 and it being heavily criticised by relatives of the dead because it was nothing more than a photo op for the then PM.
    We have no idea just what has happened in the Ukraine situation and how much has been removed and stolen which will make an already difficult situation even worse for people attempting to conduct a respectful enquiry.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    I remember Mrs Thatcher wandering all over the Lockerbie crash site in 1988 and it being heavily criticised by relatives of the dead because it was nothing more than a photo op for the then PM.
    We have no idea just what has happened in the Ukraine situation and how much has been removed and stolen which will make an already difficult situation even worse for people attempting to conduct a respectful enquiry.

Going through the property of dead people is not respectful by any stretch of the imagination and I am amazed that any professional journalist would even consider it let alone do it. Utterly hypocritical when Sky was criticising other people for doing the very same thing.Who on earth is in charge of Sky News these days ?
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the reporting of this whole tragedy has left me feeling very uncomfortable. I can't remember another disaster or serious event in my memory where we've actually been shown graphic pictures of corpses.

On one hand I know that the journalists want to hammer home the human tragedy and one of the negative aspects of social media is that gruesome pictures will inevitably appear when something like this happens, but Christ, actual pictures of plane crash victims appearing on news broadcasts! It's unavoidable if like me you like watching the news to keep up with what's happening in the world, I've seen coverage where you can clearly see dead bodies on Sky, BBC, CNN and on the Daily Mail. The DM claimed to have pixelated the victims out, but I could still see body parts in some of them as could many of the people commenting underneath. The pictures shown on Russia Today in the first few hours were grotesque, and intrusive and the poor victims would have been identifiable to loved ones in some of them.

It's left a very bad taste in my mouth. How awful for the families and loves ones of the deceased to actually have to see these images.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats absolutely vile, He should be sacked immediately, as should anyone else who decided that was a good idea to broadcast..

It was broadcast live, so there wasn't much that could be done.

I wouldn't go as far as sacking Colin Brazier for this, but the 'radio silence' from Sky on the matter just smacks of the matter being swept under the carpet which doesn't help things.

I get the fact that getting this close to a plane crash wouldn't be usual for news reporters, but surely they were briefed and told under no circumstances not to touch anything?

Anyway, it's not as though Colin Brazier is a rookie is it!

What a chump!

Another idiot is the guy on the Sky newspaper review (I think he's a hack from some newspaper or other) on the Thursday night that described a photo of the disaster on the front of the Guardian as "the best yet!" - what kind of people are these journalists?
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Theoretically he has interfered with a crime scene. Can he get in any legal trouble for doing that? And do you think that the investigation team will want to speak to him at some point about it? (obviously the Investigators will have more pressing matters - I'm talking about a lot further down the line)
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Some of the reporting of this whole tragedy has left me feeling very uncomfortable. I can't remember another disaster or serious event in my memory where we've actually been shown graphic pictures of corpses.

On one hand I know that the journalists want to hammer home the human tragedy and one of the negative aspects of social media is that gruesome pictures will inevitably appear when something like this happens, but Christ, actual pictures of plane crash victims appearing on news broadcasts! It's unavoidable if like me you like watching the news to keep up with what's happening in the world, I've seen coverage where you can clearly see dead bodies on Sky, BBC, CNN and on the Daily Mail. The DM claimed to have pixelated the victims out, but I could still see body parts in some of them as could many of the people commenting underneath. The pictures shown on Russia Today in the first few hours were grotesque, and intrusive and the poor victims would have been identifiable to loved ones in some of them.

It's left a very bad taste in my mouth. How awful for the families and loves ones of the deceased to actually have to see these images.

I agree with your post entirely.
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow what a load of sanctimonious bullshit from most of you. The pretend moral outrage is laughable and I wonder how many others reading this thread take it seriously. The reporter made a mistake in a very difficult situation, and most of you see the opportunity for a mob lynching. You have a female figure you hate at Sky News in Kay Burley, now you have found a male one. Now you can enjoy yourselves even more.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the entire lot of them have been horrendous this time.
    "there's a stench of death in the air"
    "body parts are strewn all around everywhere you look there's bodies"
    the entire disaster is bad enough but for those poor families who don't even have a body at the moment or might never hearing this being repeated over and over its just not right.

the reporters seem to have accepted because someof the locals are treating the area like a car boot sale, this gives them the green light to just wander about its a crime scene still and they should be setting the example of staying clear.

the Brilliant bit they are doing is exposing just how rotten these poor people are being treated. I see Russia Today in Full overdrive trying to dismiss everything as just more blamegame propaganda just last week when 1 Russian citizen was killed by mortar the Kremlin were warning of a mass escalation.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    Wow what a load of sanctimonious bullshit from most of you. The pretend moral outrage is laughable and I wonder how many others reading this thread take it seriously. The reporter made a mistake in a very difficult situation, and most of you see the opportunity for a mob lynching. You have a female figure you hate at Sky News in Kay Burley, now you have found a male one. Now you can enjoy yourselves even more.

So, what you are saying is that news reporters are beyond criticism?

If Colin Brazier "made a mistake in a very difficult situation" as you put it, then why aren't Sky reporting it?
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »

what he did happens in some shape or form each time they send someone out into a disaster area who quite frankly has become so lazy sitting behind the desk they are a liability. the fact his own common sense didn't kick in until he was looking through the suitcase says it all. Its a Crime Scene the locals might not be respecting that but you would think a highly paid TV presenter would.

pretend moral outrage? really. If that suitcase belonged to one of the British Victims and a relative was watching for news the only reason people are talking about him because his actions quite frankly should see him sacked. when the Daily Mail posters are saying his actions are despicable you know he's crossed a line.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    wasnt this colin brazier also the one that flew over to latvia and hounded a tea boy asking why ask.fm allowed that girl to kill herself and just fell short of accusing the company of being complicit in murder
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    That is disgusting >:( Definitely a new low in broadcasting IMO.
  • Options
    BBChaterBBChater Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Sounds like a modern day Damien Day.

Glad I'm not the only one to have seen the resemblance. At least Colin didn't start planting things at the crash site for effect.

At least I hope so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    He only lifted a couple of items that were on top and realised straight away. It's not as if he was rifling through belongings. Other people had obviously moved the stuff already in to piles. He's apologised and that should be the end of it.
  • Options
    airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it Kay Burley who was going through the luggage? wouldnt surprise me

Did you not read the first post?
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was no reason to rifle through belongings in the first place! We could see the devastation from what had already been shown. Nothing was added to the story by handling the luggage of the dead, and 'we shouldn't really be doing this' hardly constitutes an apology. An immediate 'I am sorry, that was crass and insensitive of me' would've been the decent thing to say.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught both Brazier and Burley doing their Sky reports during Sunday. I'd been watching Brazier shortly before this incident, and to be honest I thought he looked very moved and even slightly traumatised by what he has clearly been witnessing as part of his job. This is one of those news events that goes above and beyond being "just another story" even to seasoned hacks I'd say. However when I caught Burley outside Schipol Airport I contrasted her demeanour with Brazier, in that she seemed to lack any genuine empathy and dare I say it actually enjoys these situations to get stuck into. Her very tone of voice itself seemed inappropriate.

However, I think we can forgive Brazier a momentary lapse of judgement. Infact why is it wrong to touch the items and yet seemingly OK for the cameras to peer clearly at individual possessions lying on the ground. Isn't that almost the same? Do we need cameras peering into piles of items so closely? Surely a respectful distance would suffice, and convey more than enough of the awfulness. Pictures say a thousand words, as they say, yet still reporters on outlets like Sky feel the need to add a few more, often where none is needed.

That this crime against humanity has been committed by the same people who are now clearly obstructing justice, never mind basic decency, is compounding the pain to another level entirely.

Who cannot feel personally affected and think to themselves, what if? Back in March, the day before the MH370 vanished, two family members flew to the far east, taking this exact same route that MH17 tragically flew. I was watching their flight on Flightradar24 at the time. I texted one of them and said, are you over Ukraine yet? She wasn't, as I was looking at the wrong flight. She gave me the exact flight number and details to track, and followed up by texting me "I'm not flying over Ukraine, too bloody dangerous". I tracked her flight and she did indeed fly directly over Ukraine, and the eastern part between Donetsk and Luhansk. I still have that text from just before her flight. It really is shocking to read it now, knowing that our light hearted jest turned into wicked and savage reality for others who followed. But I did find it curious at the time, in March that they were flying so direct over this area. A shame more people in the airline industry didn't share those same thoughts. If they had, then today nearly 300 innocent and decent people would still be here.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pulled back too the studio today and no presenter at the crash site on sunrise.

Even all the other channels have pulled presenters away, just showing pictures of the crash site
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Did the bbc apologise? I don't recall they did. sky did.

I recall posters here saying the bbc was ok because others - the times and the Russian channel did the same. If the bbc was man enough to say they were wrong and apologise that would be enough for me to say case closed and move on

Two questions there - was this BBC incident reported in the press? And did anyone actually complain about it (apart from on here)? In fact, was it really seen as much of an issue apart from on DS?

Because from where I am standing, you now seem to be excusing Sky's error of judgement (which I think was far worse than that of the BBC's) based upon the fact that it was live TV, mistakes happen, and it was human error and they apologised. And that you did not hear the BBC apologise.

"Everyone is human and can make mistakes".
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    willow32 wrote: »
    Sky News journalist Colin Brazier going through a suitcase of a victim of flight MH17

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/20/sky-news-presenter-brazier-mh17-luggage-crash

A media Professor describes it as 'a horrible moment for journalism'.

Cheap nasty journalism, that is technically a crime scene and the idiotic hack should have known better.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Revolve wrote: »
    He only lifted a couple of items that were on top and realised straight away. It's not as if he was rifling through belongings. Other people had obviously moved the stuff already in to piles. He's apologised and that should be the end of it.

It's a crime scene regardless of where it is and he knows that. Interfering with anything is wrong.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, it was a mistake. Ok, he is in a traumatic situation. Ok, he is an experienced broadcaster. Ok, he is a decent guy.

I get all that.

But, did this decent, experienced guy not think it was a bit wrong to go through the belongings of someone who had been murdered in such a brutal way?

Did his brain not tell him at any time that this was just not right on live tv. Until he had started doing it.

Should he be sacked. Probably not. Should he, Sky and all broadcasters learn from this. Absolutely.

Will they? Of course not!
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    The guy should be sacked end of
    As he's a family man would HE Find it acceptable if God forbid it was one of his own there

I trust there will be a full no holds barred enquiry with Ofcom and co involved
    Proving the point that once again no lessons appear to have been learnt from the other fiascos that News Corp and their associated company's have been involved in
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    The guy should be sacked end of
    As he's a family man would HE Find it acceptable if God forbid it was one of his own there

I trust there will be a full no holds barred enquiry with Ofcom and co involved
    Proving the point that once again no lessons appear to have been learnt from the other fiascos that News Corp and their associated company's have been involved in

I agree, absolutely abhorrent behaviour from a so called 'respected journalist'.
    I would implore everyone posting in this thread (showing their disgust) to report it to OFFCOM, people need to be held accountable and not just lambasted on Internet forums.