Wow, rubbish. A 13/8 place and a NR.
    Staked £16, returned £3.33
    Now 15 runners at £1 e/w. 2-win, 4-placed, £32.33 returned, £2.33 up
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    I'm putting up Linguine in the 8.10 at Newmarket tomorrow evening.

Finished last most recently, but won the time before. He is drawn 1 round a bend, is a frontrunner and there is not much other pace in the race. His most recent win came on soft ground and it should be quick ground tomorrow night - but he has won on g/firm ground in the past. He's on a winning mark.
    He has a decent speed figure too.
    He is at a tasty 14/1 in the RP forecast.

The Luca Cumani horse is clearly a huge danger (Connecticut). Unexposed and should improve for step up in trip from his win last time. The trainer is very good with this type of horse but he is very short so I'll take him on.

Personally I think Linguine is a reasonable ew shout but he must struggle to give a stone to Connecticut and the handicapper probably has him, at least in open age July handicaps with 3yos. His win off 95 was in a two horse race two years ago. The form of Connecticuts two recent wins is also working out absolutely superbly as well.

I think Connecticut should be too good assuming he gets the trip. We will see.
  • Options
    DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four for today:-
    Ascot 3:55 Kiyoshi and Zurigha
    Newmarket July 5:35 Cape Mystery
    Newmarket July 8:10 Thecornishcowboy
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DartGuru wrote: »

Does anyone here ever back 2 horses in the same race ?

I know lots of people do but I can't bring myself to do it.........I figure that if I can't decide between two horses then I shouldn't be backing either of them........:o
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »

I know lots of people do but I can't bring myself to do it.........I figure that if I can't decide between two horses then I shouldn't be backing either of them........:o

If I am having a bet in a large sprint and I am not sure of the affect of the draw, I may bet one either side.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Often mate, and I don't have a single problem with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never really thought about it. Just two of the four top rated today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four for today:-
    Newmarket July 5:35 Cape Mystery
    Newmarket July 8:10 Thecornishcowboy

Just a 5/1 place today
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm putting up Linguine in the 8.10 at Newmarket tomorrow evening.

Finished last most recently, but won the time before. He is drawn 1 round a bend, is a frontrunner and there is not much other pace in the race. His most recent win came on soft ground and it should be quick ground tomorrow night - but he has won on g/firm ground in the past. He's on a winning mark.
    He has a decent speed figure too.
    He is at a tasty 14/1 in the RP forecast.

The Luca Cumani horse is clearly a huge danger (Connecticut). Unexposed and should improve for step up in trip from his win last time. The trainer is very good with this type of horse but he is very short so I'll take him on.

Good call on both counts there. Ran a good race for a place, but not quite as good as Connecticut, as alan also said.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good call on both counts there. Ran a good race for a place, but not quite as good as Connecticut, as alan also said.

Yes, quite pleased with that one!

Linguine was far too big a price.
    Linguine got a fairly easy lead and Adam Kirby tried to get them on the stretch by kicking for home a fair way out.

Connecticut was far too good though, aand I thought he was a clear danger beforehand.
    Surprised by the good run of the second horse home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even without studying the form too deeply it looked beforehand that Connecticut was a good thing and reading the Racing Post comments on the race would have given you a lot of confidence

In the morning he was 6/4 and 5/4........I suppose if you're trying to make money on the game he was the kind of horse you should be backing

An odds-against good thing........I'm not keen on backing odds-on shots but anything odds-against is fair enough

Needless to say though, I didn't back it.........:blush:
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Impressive win today by Taghrooda.

I think the Arc next, followed by a Candlelight dinner with Frankel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    Impressive win today by Taghrooda.

I think the Arc next, followed by a Candlelight dinner with Frankel

Yep....she's already looking like one of the great fillies......:)
  • Options
    RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The arc could be really special this year if taghrooda, sea the moon and australia all run along with the older horses like treve. I hope they all go for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Warwick racecourse have announced that they're abandoning Flat racing at the end of this season

They do seem to have had problems with the track........fixtures were moved to other courses earlier this year after jockeys complained that the bend was too dangerous. Several top jockeys, including Ryan Moore, refuse to ride there

It looks as though Warwick have given up and just called the whole thing off.....

They'll still hold Jumps meetings
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    An incredibly tactical Sussex Stakes, but tactics that ultimately backfired.

Kingman never ceases to impress. Staggering really that this horse ever got beat !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I'm not sure any tactic would have worked.

In the Goodwood DS competition, I was the lone person that backed the Richard Hannon horse. I anticipated a slow pace and thought the horse would be prominent at least (along with the O'Brien horse who I thought was the most likely to lead.)
    Indeed, running positions turned out as I predicted. Kingman out the back. I thought there was a chance also that Kingman may not handle the track (he has run about on the track on several of his runs). Toronado won the race last year so he handles the track.

But Kingman's acceleration was awesome. He was at the back in a slowly run race but still won impressively. James Doyle's comments stated that a slowly run race would suit Kingman certainly seem true in hindsight - he has such good acceleration. John Gosden (a man not noted for hyperbole) stated he could win a King's Stand.

I think Joseph O'Brien rode a good race. Got his horse (a regular front-runner) out into the lead at the start and then tried to set a slow pace. Darwin certainly finished a lot, lot closer than he was entitled to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I'm not sure any tactic would have worked.

In the Goodwood DS competition, I was the lone person that backed the Richard Hannon horse. I anticipated a slow pace and thought the horse would be prominent at least (along with the O'Brien horse who I thought was the most likely to lead.)
    Indeed, running positions turned out as I predicted. Kingman out the back. I thought there was a chance also that Kingman may not handle the track (he has run about on the track on several of his runs). Toronado won the race last year so he handles the track.

But Kingman's acceleration was awesome. He was at the back in a slowly run race but still won impressively. James Doyle's comments stated that a slowly run race would suit Kingman certainly seem true in hindsight - he has such good acceleration. John Gosden (a man not noted for hyperbole) stated he could win a King's Stand.

I think Joseph O'Brien rode a good race. Got his horse (a regular front-runner) out into the lead at the start and then tried to set a slow pace. Darwin certainly finished a lot, lot closer than he was entitled to.
    Darwin did keep on commendably well but it's very hard to assess what he achieved given O'Brien set extremely favourable terms for his mount. The beaten distance clearly flatters Darwin massively, but at one point I thought he was going to get back up for 2nd so he deserves credit for that. It was far from the match it was billed to be.

Toronado is going to be a hard horse to place now isn't he? Connections won't want to meet Kingman again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who needs Goodwood? Just landed a nice 10/1 winner at Leicester - Chapter and Verse (SP 8/1).

July has been a good month for me. Started quietly but really picked up the last week and a half, finding the winner of a very competitive 8/1 the field handicap at York being the highlight. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Who needs Goodwood? Just landed a nice 10/1 winner at Leicester - Chapter and Verse (SP 8/1).

July has been a good month. Started quietly but really picked up the last week and a half, finding the winner of a very competitive 8/1 the field handicap at York being the highlight. :)

Chapter and Verse. He used to be a decent horse - has he dropped down to a class 4 race?

I have tended to do quite well at Goodwood (kiss of death). Ascot is a track where I have found it difficult to find winners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chapter and Verse. He used to be a decent horse - has he dropped down to a class 4 race?

I have tended to do quite well at Goodwood (kiss of death). Ascot is a track where I have found it difficult to find winners.
    He was in a Class 6 last time Matt and got beat ! But let's just say, Shane Kelly was very, er, sympathetic when things didn't pan out from rear. Ridden much more positively today I felt confident in running that he would win because he was too well handicapped. You could see at Windsor he finished full of running. And at the weights he was a good bet today, it was just a case of making sure the race was run to suit and Kelly did that.

Goodwood generally is OK but I've not had a winner yet this week, not that I've backed many. I was annoyed that I missed Royal Razalma, which went off as big as 10/1 and won well. Whilst the horse wasn't on my radar as it ran in a Warwick race I don't recall watching, the horse's sire Lope De Vega has made an excellent start with his 2 year olds this year and so I've been keeping a very close eye on all runners out of that stallion. Most of them seem to be precocious and many seem to be useful.

I agree with you about Ascot. It's not been the luckiest of venues for me either. And there are some tracks I don't even bother betting at all unless it's a horse I've been following like Redcar where the racing is always poor and today alone there was a 40/1 winner and 66/1 winner on the same card.
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrific recovery by Davy Russell in the first at Galway on Vaxaico

Looked like something out of a rodeo show:)

Didn't win but finished close enough to suggest he may have
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad about Kid Cassidy on Wednesday at Galway. Horrible to see him get up after his fall and try to run with what appeared to be a broken leg.

I liked that horse. He was such a tearaway when he first went over fences but Nicky Henderson really did a good job with him. Think he ran really well at Cheltenham festival in 2013.
    He survived that electrocution scare at Newbury several years ago too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad about Kid Cassidy on Wednesday at Galway. Horrible to see him get up after his fall and try to run with what appeared to be a broken leg.

I liked that horse. He was such a tearaway when he first went over fences but Nicky Henderson really did a good job with him. Think he ran really well at Cheltenham festival in 2013.
    He survived that electrocution scare at Newbury several years ago too.

Seconded. I saw him limping along but wasn't sure at the time which one it was, as so many horses had fallen and the Irish commentator as usual was worse than useless.

Never been a fan of McManus horses but always had a soft spot for him after Newbury.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not many runners at Bath tonight.........there were only 39 declared in 7 races and we've already got 7 non runners

We'll probably end up with an average of 4 runners per race......:o

I've noticed watching the racing pundits (obviously with the bookies interests' at heart) telling us all the time that punters love huge field handicaps and that small fields are 'a problem'. The guys on the ATR Sunday forum are always saying this.....

Personally I never look to bet in any race with more than about 6 runners.......4,5 and 6 runner races are the only ones I look at if I fancy a bet........I'd never consider betting in a 20 runner handicap !

I think of 4 runner races as an opportunity not a problem !