Back in the day...!

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With the invention of the antiques tv genre, does the antique dealer generically still exist? I can remember the old white elephant shop - anyone else have one on the high street? - and antique shops still exist, but prices have shot through the roof. These days 'antique experts' - I'm sure that was their profession pre-tv career - seem to do the rounds of all of the antique shows on tv. Even Tom Keane, an auctioneer, is an expert on Storage Hoarders and another ITV show; Paul Hayes, who started dealing as a boy, and has a shop in Morecambe, does all the shows - he is on Antiques House right now - and the BBC have their own experts who appear on their antiques programmes. I think one of the reasons Antiques Roadshow is regarded as the most reliable source for antiques information is the very fact that the experts are exactly that, and are not hopping on and off the various antiques shows on tv. This is merely an observational post; I don't blame these professionals for doing the tv rounds, becoming erstwhile showbiz personalities, as the money will be most welcome to guys/gals who have families to support.