English Qusetion. Help Please!

chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,851
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I am looking for a term (or phrase) meaning the person more deserving. So if there is a manager who is never there and someone know and does the job better, but doesn't actually have the job?

They are the more deserving. It's kind of honorary or more deserving. It's driving me mad trying to find the answer. More meritorious etc It would apply to say anyone in authority or power , but someone else is that in that post in all but name.

It's driving me round the twist trying to think of the word or the term! Please help! :(

Comments

• agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Fitting?
    Rightful?
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More suited to the position?
  • weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commendable?
  • StillAliveStillAlive Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Lazy arse replacement'
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd start with the basics, like learning to spell "question".
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Better qualified?
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Appropriate?

Shoe in?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    I am looking for a term (or phrase) meaning the person more deserving. So if there is a manager who is never there and someone know and does the job better, but doesn't actually have the job?

They are the more deserving. It's kind of honorary or more deserving. It's driving me mad trying to find the answer. More meritorious etc It would apply to say anyone in authority or power , but someone else is that in that post in all but name.

It's driving me round the twist trying to think of the word or the term! Please help! :(

de facto ?
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried thesaurus.com? A very useful resource for finding alternative terms.

Try this entry for the term 'deserving' - http://thesaurus.com/browse/deserving
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    de facto ?

Hey that's a good one. I just came up with Ipso Facto and morally. That might be better!:) Thanks!
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    chinchin wrote: »

De Facto?
  • fruitbatfruitbat Posts: 4,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    commendable, estimable, laudable
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    I'd start with the basics, like learning to spell "question".

It's called a 'typo'. You may wish to research. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think de facto was the closest to what I was thinking of. So thanks everyone for all your suggestions. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also I have come up with 'morally'. :)
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Sounds like you have your word; just noting there is a management theory that is relevant to this I think; Charles Handy in understanding Organisations talks about the sources of power people have in an organisation;

Power resources (physical, financial, position, expert, personal), methods of influence (force, rules/procedures, exchange, persuasion, ecology, magnetism)

i.e. Sounds like the person you are trying to describe fits the categories of having expert and/or personal power rather than just power from their position in the hierarchy.

So they are likely to be good at using persuasion etc rather than say using rules and regulations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    Shoe in?

Or even shoo-in.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    A more able/ more effective surrogate manager.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meritorious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Skivvy
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    StillAlive wrote: »
    'Lazy arse replacement'

I like that one :D
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Worthy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a phrase for someone who gets all the credit but doesn't do any of the work.............

Sebastian Coe??
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kevin0410 wrote: »
    Or even shoo-in.

Oh no, did I , did I... get it wrong??!?

Luckily you were smart enough to know exactly what I meant, so thank's for the correction, you smart arse, you.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    Oh no, did I , did I... get it wrong??!?

Luckily you were smart enough to know exactly what I meant, so thank's for the correction, you smart arse, you.
    I thought it was "shoe-in" myself, but apparently it isn't.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/shoo-in/