Options

would you be upset if your child grew up to be religious?

Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
Forum Member
My son is 5. We have never really mentioned anything about religion based to him before, but he said the other day that "god" put babies in peoples tummies. Obviously he is only 5 and will his reasoning skills are not developed yet, but it did make me think.

I would be quite happy with any pretty much any lifestyle choice my son made, but I cant help but feel if he started to waste his life like that, worshipping a non-existant deity, I would feel I had failed in his upbringing.

Comments

• Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as my children are safe and happy in their adult life, I am happy for them to follow whichever path they choose in life.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Yes, especially if he became a Muslim.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can think of FAR worse things my children could get into! Some people who follow religion are actually nice people you know and are quite charitable. It may be all rubbish to most people on here but I'm sure they would prefer their child went to church rather than got into drugs or prostitution (to name only two of the worst things) If the religion was a harmful one to them then I would be concerned of course but if they came home and stated they had converted to Christian or Islam that in itself wouldn't cause me too much concern. Satanism, Scientology or went off to marry a Phelps, then I may raise an eyebrow!!
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    i am agnostic, my girlfriend is religious, i would have no problem if we had a child and he/she grew up and became religious
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thing is if you have been indoctrinated into a religion since you were young then you can understand someone believing in it.

However to have no religious background and then turn to it, you either have to have had something majorly go wrong with your life, be of low intelligence or seriously lack any critical reasoning skills.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just as long as they were decent human beings with positive values, it wouldn't bother me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We are not talking about any particular religion. So Christianity, Islam, Scientology, Mormonism, etc are all equally relevant for this discussion. None of them are any more ridiculous than any of the others.

Satanism however is not relevant. Its not a religion and is actually quite a sensible thing if you look into it.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would depend on the flavour of religion and the social attitudes associated with it. I wouldn't like them to use a religion as an excuse to want to deny other people civil rights, have stereotypical attitudes to gender, endorse cruelty to animals or to think they were specially chosen or special, for instance, but many religious people don't like those things any more than me.

Same with political views. I wouldn't be so happy if they turned out to be a UKIP supporter.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    However to have no religious background and then turn to it, you either have to have had something majorly go wrong with your life, be of low intelligence or seriously lack any critical reasoning skills.

That's an opinion I don't agree with!

People are free to believe in anything they wish and having a faith in something when all evidence suggests otherwise sometimes gives people strength to cope with life!

Anyway, isn't this simply going to turn into another one of the thousands (it seems) of anti religion threads already on here. Do a search and take your pick, all the opinions that will now be aired over the next (probably) 20 + pages has all been said before and recently!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member

Satanism however is not relevant. Its not a religion and is actually a very sensible thing if you look into it.

Satanism is nothing,its a club,and its values are sensible,but then again,its value are the norm in this life.....so its NOTHING!!!
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be upset but I would be surprised.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    That's an opinion I don't agree with!

People are free to believe in anything they wish and having a faith in something when all evidence suggests otherwise sometimes gives people strength to cope with life!

Anyway, isn't this simply going to turn into another one of the thousands (it seems) of anti religion threads already on here. Do a search and take your pick, all the opinions that will now be aired over the next (probably) 20 + pages has all been said before and recently!
    I'd add to that that even the most self-styled rationalist of us is subject to normal patterns of human thinking, however that manifests itself (conspiracy theories, following football, being a monarchist etc).
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I wouldn't be upset.

I don't share a lot of the beliefs my parents do, so I wouldn't expect my children to share mine (I followed my parents in atheism but my political views for example are very different. I would hope they don't see that as a failing, they are glad I'm sure that I am capable of deciding my own views).

I would be sad if they developed extreme views which blinded them to other things, though. That would go for any kind of views though, religious or otherwise.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of the 3 I have parented one is in the salvation army, one a Muslim and the other an atheist who attends church for the atmosphere. Personally I am proud of them all as one thing they have in common is they are all decent kind people.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends really, if they just quietly believed in god, you know, that's fine. I'm an on the fence agnostic myself. But if they kind of threw themselves into evangelising and became obsessive and such, I'd worry, I don't think I could help it.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather them not be religious, but wouldn't be upset.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son is 5. We have never really mentioned anything about religion based to him before, but he said the other day that "god" put babies in peoples tummies. Obviously he is only 5 and will his reasoning skills are not developed yet, but it did make me think.

I would be quite happy with any pretty much any lifestyle choice my son made, but I cant help but feel if he started to waste his life like that, worshipping a non-existant deity, I would feel I had failed in his upbringing.

I'm sure he'll be fine. :)
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If your child was a grown up you would just have to learn to live with their beliefs, You could always disown them but then you're going to have to live with the knowledge that you would be a crap and intolerant parent who is no better than a religious parent who cannot accept atheism in their child.

The other alternative is to force your views on them while still a child and hope they don't rebel.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all, as long as they were a good person who lived within the law. To me that's all that would really matter if I had a child.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is if you have been indoctrinated into a religion since you were young then you can understand someone believing in it.

...or experience something that convinces you.
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can honestly answer no to that question as my son is a christian, as is my wife. I'm an athiest. I would be upset if he believed in something stupid like creationism, or was homophobic, but he is pretty sceptical of most of the more extreme beliefs of fundamentalists and their ilk. Most religious people I came across are nice - I occasionally accompany the family to church and am made very welcome, even though most people there know I don't believe. I get on very well with the vicar - but he is a fellow Liverpool fan, so we mostly talk about football!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If your child was a grown up you would just have to learn to live with their beliefs, You could always disown them but then you're going to have to live with the knowledge that you would be a crap and intolerant parent who is no better than a religious parent who cannot accept atheism in their child.

The other alternative is to force your views on them while still a child and hope they don't rebel.

Obviously i would never disown him or anything melodramtic like that and of course i would never stop him following his own path. To be honest its very unlikely i would say anything, just keep i to myself. I think 'disappointed' is probably a better word than 'upset'
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member

I'd sit him down quietly and gently coax the name of the person/s that had been filling his head with such nonsense.

I would then "have a word" with the perpetrator.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be very very surprised! It's so unlikely that I can't really give it much serious contemplation.

If I fostered a child who was religious though, I wouldn't be upset, as long as they were a good person and kept those beliefs to themselves.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Waste his life??? Really? :confused:
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    As long as my children are safe and happy in their adult life, I am happy for them to follow whichever path they choose in life.

Absolutely. As long as that path makes him happy and it is what he wants from his life, whatever that path is, it cannot be a waste. :)