Options

Will Scientists ever know where we go when we die?

Comments

• Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not through the entire thread - but in my humble opinion -

When your life ends you go to the same place every single other organism from the moment of abiogenesis onwards has gone.

Nowhere.

You just die. :(
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not through the entire thread - but in my humble opinion -

When your life ends you go to the same place every single other organism from the moment of abiogenesis onwards has gone.

Nowhere.

You just die. :(

Yea, that's the Classic non religious modern text book (western) standard.
    The thing is many of my age group were taught not to simply follow or believe what you are told.
    I keep an open mind.
    Simple question: why write the bible? If it's only a made up story. Back then it wasn't like writing a blog and publishing it online. Only a few people could read & write for a start, and materials would have cost a fortune, and it would have taken an awful lot of effort and much time to write it.
    That said I am not trying to convince anyone to follow the contents literally and believe the contents literally - that's upto individuals to make their mind up, and the modern interpretation may not be accurate (translation, re-writes) and back then words didn't exist for certain things so other discriptions were used which best fitted the fact.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    The thing is many of my age group were taught not to simply follow or believe what you are told.
    I keep an open mind.
    Simple question: why write the bible? If it's only a made up story. Back then it wasn't like writing a blog and publishing it online. Only a few people could read & write for a start, and materials would have cost a fortune, and it would have taken an awful lot of effort and much time to write it.
    That said I am not trying to convince anyone to follow the contents literally and believe the contents literally - that's upto individuals to make their mind up, and the modern interpretation may not be accurate (translation, re-writes) and back then words didn't exist for certain things so other discriptions were used which best fitted the fact.

It's probably worth being aware that the Old Testament part of the Bible says very little, if anything, about an afterlife. It's much more to do with how to live your life now (or, more accurately, how to live your life then).

No idea who wrote this, I haven't looked into it, but it read quite interesting.
    For example, when we look at the covenant agreement that God makes with Abraham, the promises that God makes include such things as making Abraham the father of a great nation. He was told that his descendants would be as countless as the stars and the dust of the earth. The land of Canaan was promised to his descendants, and he would be a blessing to all families of the earth. Where was the promise of eternal life, heaven, a great reward in the afterlife? It is strangely absent from the agreement! Instead, all that God promises Abraham is a good long life on this earth, full of blessings.

The afterlife beliefs became more important with Christianity and the New Testament.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread has successfully answered its own question by mirroring it exactly.

It lived a life of 43 pages filled with long conversations, meetings with friends and foes, the occasional scary event, some good news, bad news and lots of inane chatter.

Then it passed peacefully into that sweet goodnight, where it vanished into the internet ether and was lost forever.

Then, as the wheels of the universe turned and two years of human Earth time passed the great recycling of atoms and energy that is what exists within the eternal infinity of the cosmos caused an inevitability, The atoms reformed and coalesced into a new entity. Such as must occur when energy is not destroyed but merely transformed into other things that - in an eternal infinity - must one day by the power of numbers inevitably become a return to the same form it once had.

The thread was reincarnated. Not exactly as the same being it was before, but destined to go on for more unknown pages facing the same questions, relationships, circular debates and finding no answers within itself at all.

As a thread it was what it always was, a continuity of being. But as a thread it also felt it was new and reinvigorated and started to ask all of the same questions over again. It also wryly noted (by deign of past information on such things being too hard to access by reading all those prior postings) a being that had just sprung into life anew in March 2015. It was not conscious before. So it will not be conscious after it dies one day (maybe even today).

Only the super beings (or God) who were able to observe the thread from afar could understand the sweet irony of how the ones within the microcosm that created these 44 pages were blissfully unaware that the truth really was out there (or in this case, in there) - replicated perfectly by the entity that had been created back in January 2013.

For now, after surviving a death that seemed as terminal as could be, it was brought back into existence from the germ of a single post.

Such is life, and death, and the universe and everything.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread has successfully answered its own question by mirroring it exactly.

It lived a life of 43 pages filled with long conversations, meetings with friends and foes, the occasional scary event, some good news, bad news and lots of inane chatter.

Then it passed peacefully into that sweet goodnight, where it vanished into the internet ether and was lost forever.

Then, as the wheels of the universe turned and two years of human Earth time passed the great recycling of atoms and energy that is what exists within the eternal infinity of the cosmos caused an inevitability, The atoms reformed and coalesced into a new entity.

The thread was reincarnated. Not exactly as the same being it was before, but destined to go on for more unknown pages facing the same questions, relationships, circular debates and finding no answers within itself at all.

Only the super beings who were able to observe the thread from afar could understand the sweet irony of how the ones within the microcosm that was these 44 pages were blissfully unaware that the truth really was out there (or in this case, in there) - replicated perfectly by the entity that had been created back in January 2013 and - after surviving a death that seemed as terminal as could be - was brought back into existence from the germ of a single post.

It's not looking very back to me. Richard's sardine post helping to put it back to bed.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would be the point,

Even if they did people would doubt it.

Believe what you wish.

Your have to wait and see.

See you in another life.:)
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Is there a chance that Scientists in way into future can invent something that tells them where people go when they die?
    or is that too impossible?
    Its not a bad question, its just Technology is not limited, and they can find a way around it,
    This can sort out this 50/50 Chance of Heaven and Hell stuff.
    You actually do not know if Heaven an Hell exist, or reincarnation, Is there life after death?
    I do not want to live believing in religion when we dont know for sure where were going!

My personal opinion only but you are confusing two things here - science and faith/belief.

I think science already tells us that death is the end - our physical body ceases to function and that is it - the end zilch, nothing more.

However, for those with a religious conviction or a belief in the afterlife there is an opinion that it is not the end and we go onto some other perceptible existence afterwards. So you can't look to scientists for the answers here because they have are already certain that death is the end.

Sorry to be so blunt buts that's how I see it.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,555
    Forum Member
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    My personal opinion only but you are confusing two things here - science and faith/belief.

I think science already tells us that death is the end - our physical body ceases to function and that is it - the end zilch, nothing more.

However, for those with a religious conviction or a belief in the afterlife there is an opinion that it is not the end and we go onto some other perceptible existence afterwards. So you can't look to scientists for the answers here because they have are already certain that death is the end.

Sorry to be so blunt buts that's how I see it.

You (and science) may have adopted a simplistic view.

I see the human race - perhaps even the entire organic planet - as one complex organism. When one organic unit dies, it lives on through its influences on other organic units it comes into contact with - a kind of super-epigenetics whereby even observations of and communication with other units (such as people) influence them long after physical death. Not only family members but especially them, even more so children and grandchildren of the family, but also to a lesser extent friends and acquantances - and even, for public figures, strangers. Parent to child DNA is only one part of this process and I think it is probably not even the major part.

So although the physical body dies, its influences have spread and these live on through others. This is not a religious belief, far from it, and although it's just a belief, I do not think it's inconsistent with Darwinism. It's life after death, Jim, but not as we know it! :o
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »

I see the human race - perhaps even the entire organic planet - as one complex organism. When one organic unit dies, it lives on through its influences on other organic units it comes into contact with - a kind of super-epigenetics whereby even observations of and communication with other units (such as people) influence them long after physical death. Not only family members but especially them, even more so children and grandchildren of the family, but also to a lesser extent friends and acquantances - and even, for public figures, strangers. Parent to child DNA is only one part of this process and I think it is probably not even the major part.

So although the physical body dies, its influences have spread and these live on through others. This is not a religious belief, far from it, and although it's just a belief, I do not think it's inconsistent with Darwinism. It's life after death, Jim, but not as we know it! :o

Isn't that what we usually call memory?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you rearrange the letters in 'rational scientific explanation' you get:
    traxal fcti aploti aneen iosci

Coincidence? ... I think not. :cool:

:D It must mean something.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everybody knows that the only surefire way to kill a zombie is to destroy the brain, However that must be technically inaccurate.
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    What the thread has established is that some people believe there is life after death, some are open minded on the issue and some think they know for sure there isn't. Pretty much how all of these types of threads end up really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    :D It must mean something.

It must. Hidden within the phrase ' rational scientific explanation' can be found the words fart lion caca. :D Those scientists are having a laugh again.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    What the thread has established is that some people believe there is life after death, some are open minded on the issue and some think they know for sure there isn't. Pretty much how all of these types of threads end up really.

In one!
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fail to understand why there would be an afterlife. Why would the universe give a damn whether little sentient bits of organic chemistry on a speck of dust orbiting a back-water star got to live happily ever after in an eternal paradise?

I think the harsh reality is that we're just little chemical machines which grind away doing chemistry and fending off the cold grip of entropy for as long as we can... but unfortunately, as it always does and always will, the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics wins and we just break. The chemical processes in each and every one of our cells which make us a living thing cease and we become like much of the rest of the matter in the universe: dead.

You could say I'm being a narrow-minded physicalist and I've forgotten to factor in the possibility that the we all have some intangible, almost supernatural spark of life; well maybe, but currently I have no reason to believe such a thing exists.
    You could also argue that I've neglected to consider that the universe may in fact be consciousness. Well maybe so, but currently, to me, the phrase "the universe is consciousness" makes about as much sense as "the universe is cheese".
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could also argue that I've neglected to consider that the universe may in fact be consciousness. Well maybe so, but currently, to me, the phrase "the universe is consciousness" makes about as much sense as "the universe is cheese".

We're, like, balls of energy, man, and energy never disappears, it can only change. Dude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    We're, like, balls of energy, man, and energy never disappears, it can only change. Dude.

The great and wonderful Prof. Brian Cox said it better when he said "we are basically heat engines".
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    The great and wonderful Prof. Brian Cox said it better when he said "we are basically heat engines".

I liked it when Morpheus compared us to AA batteries.

Although the machines would have been much better having a Matrix of cows - more energy and less likelihood of rebellion.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

This is almost exactly how I see it too.

I would also say we live on in the neurons and chemical connections in other people's brains. I have a letter written by my great-great-grandmother and each time I read it her words exist just the same as they did the day she wrote it.

I can crochet because my grandmother taught me. When I do the stitches I remember her telling me and see her hands.

That is 'life after death' not this heaven/afterlife stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I keep an open mind.

You where taught to think for yourself? :D
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens to the energy that passes along our nervous system and is present in our brains when our body switch off. Nothing absolutely disappears, so what happens to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fail to understand why there would be an afterlife. Why would the universe give a damn whether little sentient bits of organic chemistry on a speck of dust orbiting a back-water star got to live happily ever after in an eternal paradise?

I think the harsh reality is that we're just little chemical machines which grind away doing chemistry and fending off the cold grip of entropy for as long as we can... but unfortunately, as it always does and always will, the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics wins and we just break. The chemical processes in each and every one of our cells which make us a living thing cease and we become like much of the rest of the matter in the universe: dead.

You could say I'm being a narrow-minded physicalist and I've forgotten to factor in the possibility that the we all have some intangible, almost supernatural spark of life; well maybe, but currently I have no reason to believe such a thing exists.

Death for you just a figure of speech then.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens to the energy that passes along our nervous system and is present in our brains when our body switch off. Nothing absolutely disappears, so what happens to it.

The energy is actually the passage of charged ions along the neuron and across its wall at specific points. So when we die there isn't anything to go anywhere. The ions just stop passing through the neurons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The scientists are sure taking a long time to answer our questions. Same with a cure for the common cold. I have faith there is one, though. :) Although some of us might see the afterlife before we see the cold cure.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It becomes the kinetic energy of gas molecules in the air; ie. heat.
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Death for you just a figure of speech then.

What? :confused::confused::confused: