Options

The race for Premier League promotion is ridiculously exciting right now

Comments

• Options
    Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That goal should have stood and to be honest if it costs Bournemouth later in the season they should pursue a case against the Football League for negligence.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,963
    Forum Member
    PeggysDad wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the decision. Perfectly in line with the laws of the game.

The fact the forward looked at the ref immediately after he put the ball in the net shows he knew he was on dodgy ground.

What law did he break?
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,063
    Forum Member
    We could all sue the FL for bad decisions going against us TBH!
  • Options
    PeggysDadPeggysDad Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The laws of the game state that a goalkeeper is not allowed to be impeded when releasing the ball.

The player was stood there with the sole intention of impeding the keeper and stopping him from kicking it as he wanted to. There are also two (albeit subtle) movements towards the ball. The second of these is a movement of the left leg towards the ball after the keeper had released the ball from his hands.

The act of releasing and kicking the ball is to be seen as one action, and that slight movement was enough to put the keeper off as he may have thought the left leg was about to be raised.

So a free-kick, and a spot on decision by the referee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    We could all sue the FL for bad decisions going against us TBH!
    The main difference, and I see your point, is that its one thing making a poor decision by way of an honest mistake.

It has been suggested that the linesman didn't flag and the referee had his back turned, which means he has relied totally on guesswork, and that is a world away from just not knowing whether it was a corner or goal kick, which can be impossible even if you are looking.

As for PeggysDad, there's no mileage in even replying to such a ridiculous analysis as that. Mark Halsey could see nothing wrong with it and neither can I.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As for PeggysDad, there's no mileage in even replying to such a ridiculous analysis as that. Mark Halsey could see nothing wrong with it and neither can I.

What's ridiculous about it?

Suggest you check out the referees forums, it's very split in opinions which means that this is clearly a situation that is open to interpretation.

I am sorry that my interpretation (which is agreed with by at least half on the refs forums) made you spit your dummy out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care what some refereeing forum says. It was wrong, plain and simple. Wrong.

If there are referees in that forum prepared to go by their real names, who think that goal was correctly disallowed, I suggest you name and shame them here, so they can be reported to their county FA and be told not to bother refereeing ever again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You haven't explained why it was wrong.

And you don't care what a refs forum says, yet the word of Mark Halsey is gospel?

You sound very silly.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,054
    Forum Member
    It's quite clear that the goalkeeper wasn't impeded by the forward. He just stood his ground outside the box which he's entitled to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've looked now at a referee's forum and the vast majority say the referee was wrong.

Those claiming the referee was right are basing it on the fact that he is committing an offence by "standing there".

Its wrong because he is not committing an offence of any description. There is not a single instance of movement designed to block the ball. It hits him on the bloody back. I can't actually believe I have to explain why this should stand.

If a free kick hits the wall, would you insist on it being re-taken?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You haven't explained why it was wrong.

And you don't care what a refs forum says, yet the word of Mark Halsey is gospel?

You sound very silly.

I said "Mark Halsey saw nothing wrong with it". That isn't quite calling his word gospel.

Halsey has in his defence refereed at the very top level, which means I'm probably not chancing my arm in claiming him to be more qualified than an average anonymous poster on some refereeing forum.

And apparently, its me who sounds very silly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite clear that the goalkeeper wasn't impeded by the forward. He just stood his ground outside the box which he's entitled to do.

Indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People keep saying he was just standing there.

He wasn't.

He watches the keeper and makes two movements towards the ball. Doesn't make the slightest difference how small the movements were, he did not "stand there".

He moved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He moved.

Then please explain why that is a foul.

Earlier, you said "the player was stood there".

At least try to be consistent with your own version of events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The player was stood there with the sole intention of impeding the keeper and stopping him from kicking it as he wanted to.
    People keep saying he was just standing there.

He wasn't.

Thank you and goodnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semantics and you know it.

He stood there to block the ball. He then made two movements towards the ball. This was stated in the very same post you quoted, so selective quoting from you.

Add to that the fact that the same player had been trying to block the keeper's kicks all night.

Correct decision in my opinion. You may disagree, and that's fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semantics and you know it.

He stood there to block the ball. He then made two movements towards the ball. This was stated in the very same post you quoted, so selective quoting from you.

Add to that the fact that the same player had been trying to block the keeper's kicks all night.

Correct decision in my opinion. You may disagree, and that's fine.

Well we will put it to bed with this.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/LawsoftheGame/LawsandInterpretations/interpretation_law12_en.pdf

It's from the Scottish FA website but lifted from FIFA's interpretation. I will be selective here too, but feel free to find something that contradicts.

Offences committed against goalkeepers
    • It is an offence for a player to prevent a goalkeeper from releasing the ball
    from his hands
    • A player must be penalised for playing in a dangerous manner if he kicks or
    attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing
    it
    • It is an offence to restrict the movement of the goalkeeper by unfairly
    impeding him, e.g. at the taking of a corner kick

Nothing there.

Impeding the progress of an opponent

Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the path of the
    opponent to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction by an
    opponent when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play, being in the way of
    an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent

I'll leave it there, because there really, really is nothing else to be said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There really is nothing in the rules that prevents the Bournemouth forward from doing what he did. The referee didn't apply his own interpretation on anything, he simply cocked up by having his back to play then incorrectly guessing what happened.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That goal should have stood and to be honest if it costs Bournemouth later in the season they should pursue a case against the Football League for negligence.

Don't talk rot.
  • Options
    james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huge game tomorrow for us against Bournemouth. If we win that seals automatic promotion for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Don't talk rot.

Its not rot. The League would have a lot of explaining to do.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,063
    Forum Member
    james2018 wrote: »
    Huge game tomorrow for us against Bournemouth. If we win that seals automatic promotion for me.

Be handy for us too if we beat Ipswich as well.

Both be 5...

:D
  • Options
    Tusk0312Tusk0312 Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tonight's result: Wolves 2-0 Derby

Derby's promotion push really coming off the rails. the way they are going, completely dropping out of the top 6 is now a real possibility.

as it stands:

1) Watford 72 pts
    2) Middlesbro 72 pts
    3) Bournemouth 70 pts
    4) Norwich 67 pts
    5) Derby 67 pts
    6) Brentford 65 pts
    7) Wolves 65 pts
    8) Ipswich 64 pts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Derby appear to be bottling it. Let's see how they do on Friday against the mighty Wolves.

4 defeats and 2 draws in their last 6 now.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    Derby really messing things up at the wrong time. Hilariously awful goalkeeping for Wolves second.

Oh and another awful decision from the officials over the disallowed goal.