Bloody neighbour and his loud music

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would still give it a go.

Yes but its not something that is easy to do. My brother had a dowstairs neughbour who played loud music all night he done everything he was told to do and in the end after three long years it went to court. My brother won his case YAY but the music still went on and the whole thing started over again.

That was night time when its not acceptable... not someone complaining that they want to sleep in the day time and someone else's music is stopping them. I expect not a lot will be done in this case.
  • boolaaboolaa Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Visit this site: http://www.nfh.org.uk/forums/forum.php
    Neighbours From Hell in Britain. Excellent site and forum with lots of other sufferers of inconsiderate neighbours, perhaps you could get some good advice here? Good luck!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Foam earplugs! They are fantastic! I had problem neighbours for years and reverted to wearing them every night to save on the stress levels.

By complaining and going round, banging on the ceilling etc just made me soooooooo stressed and I realised life was too short.

I feel very sorry for anyone who has to put up with noisy neighbours. The most miserable years of my life until I started using the plugs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    littleweed wrote: »
    Erm the OP is complaining about daytime noise not night time.

It makes no difference!!!!

"There are no periods of time when the playing of loud music is specifically allowed. If the noise is causing a nuisance to others then it is a nuisance regardless of the time of day, or day of the week."
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told by my housing officer that any noise between the hours of 7am and 7pm was "acceptable". My upstairs neighbour used to stick a full load of washing in his machine at 7am quite often, and with the fact that the flat has laminate flooring, it wasn't exactly a quiet time ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"There are no periods of time when the playing of loud music is specifically allowed. If the noise is causing a nuisance to others then it is a nuisance regardless of the time of day, or day of the week."

Of course it makes a difference. Its only a nuisance because the OP wants to nap in the daytime.

Ring up the police and say there is a music disturbance and you are trying to nap at 2pm. ;)

Its bloody hard enough to get help with it at night, you have no chance in the daytime.

As I said before better to try and sort out a way to sleep then to make yourself more ill and stressed trying to get someone to stop playing their music loud in the day.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My local paper has "neighbours blighted by Westlife- equipment seized". It also has some lovely photos of a council van with 3 televisions in it plus a cd player.

So, you never know, your council(s) may well confiscate too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it makes a difference. Its only a nuisance because the OP wants to nap in the daytime.

Ring up the police and say there is a music disturbance and you are trying to nap at 2pm. ;)

Its bloody hard enough to get help with it at night, you have no chance in the daytime.

As I said before better to try and sort out a way to sleep then to make yourself more ill and stressed trying to get someone to stop playing there music loud in the day.

The police do not deal with noise nuisance. The Environment Health Department of the local council do. So there would be no point in calling the police.

You are basing your posts on one experience! You have stated it is not against the law, which it is. I work with a lot of social housing organisations and I have heard of many very successful resolutions of noise nuisance. Quite often it can be sorted by mediation and doesn't even get to court.

I hope the OP gets this sorted and isn't put off by your highly negative attitude, which I don't think is helpful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try asking your neighbour to turn it down, or put a polite note through the door. I had a similar problem with my neighbour, I work at home and he started to play loud music that shook the house. When I asked him to turn it down he was so apologetic, it had just never occurred to him that it would be disrupting my work during the day. That was a couple of years ago and with just a few exceptions he hasn't been a trouble to me since.

If you don't get a positive response then look into taking it further with the council, but my though is that once you make a problem official you may get even less cooperation from a neighbour who then thinks you're the pain.

It's sometime a tricky balance living with neighbours in close proximity as everyone believes that they have the right to live as they want to and those around must deal with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The police do not deal with noise nuisance. The Environment Health Department of the local council do. So there would be no point in calling the police.

You are basing your posts on one experience! You have stated it is not against the law, which it is. I work with a lot of social housing organisations and I have heard of many very successful resolutions of noise nuisance. Quite often it can be sorted by mediation and doesn't even get to court.

I hope the OP gets this sorted and isn't put off by your highly negative attitude, which I don't think is helpful.

Im not being negative I'm being realistic

it takes a long while with lots of work to get the result you want and that's with nighttime noise. is that really something you would recommend someone who is ill do? or are you one of these people who don't care about the person only the result?

I'm not basing it on one experience, that was just one example of many years wasted and my brother almost jumping out a window and still had the same problem after winning his case of loud music at night. I bet it would never have got anywhere with daytime music.

The OP needs to get her night time sleep sorted not be trying to tackle someone keeping her awake in the daytime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most noise problems arise from differences in lifestyle and people's mistaken beliefs that they can do what they like. Mediation can be very successful in some cases, by making people realise how much they are impacting on other's lives.

Like an elderly person who has the TV volume cranked up because they are hard of hearing or the person who uses a hoover at 7am not realising their neighbour has just come off a night shift and is trying to sleep.

I am just saying that the law is there to tackle neighbour nuisance and Environmental Health Officers can give loads of useful advice. Prosecution and seizure is the last result when all other methods have failed. The softly softly approach is better in the first instance.

Everyone has the right to enjoy their home and if noise nuisance is blighting that then they do have the right to complain. There are ways of handling it, including mediation, noise abatement notices etc. I don't see why the OP - and her neighbours - should have to suffer in silence.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also the intimidation factor that many people never seem to appreciate/understand.

The default response in cases like this is "Well have you spoken to your neighbour?".

In some cases it really just isn't possible for a number of reasons. someone who lives on their own isn't really going to want to go and knock on the door of someone who is having a loud party with loads of mates.

i've been in a situation where the new tenant upstairs has had parties late at night with at least 10-15 people in the flat and i'm expected to go up on my own and knock on the door to ask them to keep it down ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also suffer from CFS/Fibro and find that excess noise really makes things worse on occasion - you may have become over-sensitive to the noise because of the condition.

I used to have a really loud upstairs neighbour and sadly talking to him didn't help (he did have some severe mental health problems rather than just being a thoughtless sod), I contacted my landlord after this, then the environmental health and had to keep a noise diary. It takes some time for them to gather enough evidence, unfortunately, but it's worth it in the long run. It could well be that your neighbour simply has no clue how loud they're being so make them your first port of call and explain your health condition to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kupo_nut wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia which means I am in constant pain and there isn't a day when I'm not fatigued out of my tiny little mind. For some reason, I cannot sleep at night due to panic attacks, and although my doctor has advised me against it (as if) I tend to try and catch up on sleep during the day so I can at least function for my daughter when she gets home from school.

Well my neighbour has taken to playing his music very loud, complete with full bass, it makes my bed shake and I can hear it through my very thin walls.

I managed not to sleep yesterday as I had too much to do, and hoped it would reset me as I was exhausted, but as usual I was unable to sleep til gone 2am and had to be up at 6.15

My doctor prescribed me an emergency 7 day course of 10mg of temazepam, which I even managed to have a panic attack on and as a result was up all night again.

I know I'm not in a position to complain about the level of music volume during the day, but I'm getting to the point where my health, mental and physical, is being exacerbated.

What do I do? I'm in a right state right now, and my normal medication has stopped working, which means another round of trial and error.

:cry:
    Oh yes you are! ANY loud noise is unacceptable, regardless of whether it is 2am or 2pm. Speak to the environmental health department at the local council and start keeping a noise diary.

Most noise problems arise from differences in lifestyle and people's mistaken beliefs that they can do what they like. Mediation can be very successful in some cases, by making people realise how much they are impacting on other's lives.

Like an elderly person who has the TV volume cranked up because they are hard of hearing or the person who uses a hoover at 7am not realising their neighbour has just come off a night shift and is trying to sleep.

I am just saying that the law is there to tackle neighbour nuisance and Environmental Health Officers can give loads of useful advice. Prosecution and seizure is the last result when all other methods have failed. The softly softly approach is better in the first instance.

Everyone has the right to enjoy their home and if noise nuisance is blighting that then they do have the right to complain. There are ways of handling it, including mediation, noise abatement notices etc. I don't see why the OP - and her neighbours - should have to suffer in silence.

Stargazer is 100% correct in all of the above !

I hope the OP finds a quick and peaceful resolution to this problem .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    The OP needs to get her night time sleep sorted not be trying to tackle someone keeping her awake in the daytime.

^^^This. While not getting enough sleep is a nightmare, it isn't fair to expect other people to be super-quiet in their own homes during the daytime.

OP, have you actually been round and spoken to this neighbour? He might have no idea how his music is carrying through the thin walls. Do it now, or it will escalate in your head and start to feel like something personal when it isn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    ^^^This. While not getting enough sleep is a nightmare, it isn't fair to expect other people to be super-quiet in their own homes during the daytime.

OP, have you actually been round and spoken to this neighbour? He might have no idea how his music is carrying through the thin walls. Do it now, or it will escalate in your head and start to feel like something personal when it isn't.

I just feel that the legal route for someone with a chronic condition and fatigue is not the way to go....if you can go this route then maybe you wasn't as ill as you thought you were.
    I say this as someone with fatigue and know id not be able to do it.

I really feel that maybe making a thread asking how to get to sleep when you feel like you do is the better way to go.
    Its not as if the neighbour is doing this all day everyday according to another thread the OP posted in its only occasionally that they are loud.

OP maybe start another thread for hints and tips for sleeping when you are feeling bad and also for daytime noise sleeping. Got to be better dealing with this at the root rather than the end result.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just feel that the legal route for someone with a chronic condition and fatigue is not the way to go.

If she talks to Environmental Health they will advise her of the options open to her. The legal route is not the only option.

I am sure the OP knows what advice she needs and this is the advice she has asked for!
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm currently having to put up with the upstairs neighbour playing his gangster rap out on full blast. I've tried shouting up to his window and asking him to turn it down but he must be tone deaf.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she talks to Environmental Health they will advise her of the options open to her. The legal route is not the only option.

I am sure the OP knows what advice she needs and this is the advice she has asked for!

So if the neighbour son is playing his music at 11am occasionally... stopping them from having a nap you think the OP has a case? :confused:

I live in a Garden City and the tree cutters/ grass cutters are out all day everyday this time of year maybe I will get the council to let this Garden City overgrow so my daytime nap will not be disturbed . :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I'm currently having to put up with the upstairs neighbour playing his gangster rap out on full blast. I've tried shouting up to his window and asking him to turn it down but he must be tone deaf.

Have you tried asking him? or maybe putting a note through his door?
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried asking him? or maybe putting a note through his door?

I've just seen him go out, so it's peace and quiet for a while. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I've just seen him go out, so it's peace and quiet for a while. :D

It is horrible when your peace and quiet are shattered isn't it. I put my MP3 on with my music blaring into my ears. so I cant hear theirs. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    interesting thread this. I am in a similar situation: My neighbours have a dog in an apartment complex that constantly barks and whines when they are out. They keep it in the living room right next to my room and its so loud I can actually hear it over my earplugs. The problem is that it only does this when theyre out so they cant really stop it, but im sick of not being able to sleep at 3am because some dog is barking.

Do you think Environmental Health could help with this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    skribbleuk wrote: »
    interesting thread this. I am in a similar situation: My neighbours have a dog in an apartment complex that constantly barks and whines when they are out. They keep it in the living room right next to my room and its so loud I can actually hear it over my earplugs. The problem is that it only does this when theyre out so they cant really stop it, but im sick of not being able to sleep at 3am because some dog is barking.

Yes, they could. You might also have some luck with the RSPCA, although they aren't always great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skribbleuk wrote: »

Definitely. It is on their list of noise nuisances and apparently after TV and music noise is one of the most common.