Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I love Tony Singh.
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that no one from Scotland has got through to the banquet since the first series (Nick Nairn).

I'd like either Tony or Michael to win this week, Tony because he seems to have made a real effort to match the brief, or Michael because last time he competed he was quite unlucky imo not to get a dish on the final banquet, iirc he never came lower than fourth in the scores during the final week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I'd like either Tony or Michael to win this week, Tony because he seems to have made a real effort to match the brief, or Michael because last time he competed he was quite unlucky imo not to get a dish on the final banquet, iirc he never came lower than fourth in the scores during the final week.

Think Michael was last for his starter but top three for the other three courses. First time anyone has had three top three dishes, and he still never got one to the banquet!
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngelaS wrote: »
    Think Michael was last for his starter but top three for the other three courses. First time anyone has had three top three dishes, and he still never got one to the banquet!

Looking back, I think you're right.

I think this week has been helped by the absence of Alan Murchison.

From some of the preview clips, it seems there are a few chefs returned who have competed in the past but skipped last years, like Tony and Michael this week.
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I like this programme, I've watched since the very start, but I do feel it's in dire need of a shake up in format and content. I for one would really prefer it if they judged all starters, then fish, etc. I hate it when a really outstanding dish doesn't get through because the chef's other dishes missed the mark. I can see no reason why this change couldn't happen or am I missing something?
  • RedHedRedHed Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love both Tony & Michael, you can tell they like each other and have a bit of banter.

It's a shame they only have one chef from Scotland i'd love to see them both go through.
    Forum Member
    RedHed wrote: »
    I love both Tony & Michael, you can tell they like each other and have a bit of banter.

Yeah they're a great double act. Touch of a modern day Laurel & Hardy at times 😉
  • squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Tony Singh.

SO DO I! I have often felt that he was being a bit discriminated against socre wise - not because of his ethniticity but because he can be playful and joke and doesn't take himself to seriously. There seems to be an overload of chefs who take themselves way to seriously.

Also, he actually makes food that I would eat and not pick through the black pudding, kidneys, liver, etc.

Go TONY!!! Loved the spam..and as for the rock - jeez - it is very very of the momment! actually a bit behind the momment it's been around for years!. mark saying he was worried the punts wouldn't cook the fish properly. Hey.... they will... they won't eat it practially raw like alot of the meat you all cook.. Hello!!!!

Okay - i admit I'm a philistine when it comes to some of the food these chefs charge a fortune for...
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarkie66 wrote: »
    I think the atmosphere this week has been much nicer with less nastiness between the chefs and I quite like the fact that Angela's marking is strict as long as she is fair. Michael is lovely and I hope he wins the week.

I used to work with Michael, incredibly easy going, lets his skills do the talking, hates being called 'chef'. Wish more were like him!
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    macsmurray wrote: »
    I used to work with Michael, incredibly easy going, lets his skills do the talking, hates being called 'chef'. Wish more were like him!

That's lovely to hear as that is how he comes across on TV but not everyone turns out to be as nice as they seem!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been working the last two days so I'm catching up on sky+ Looks like Michael is using Charles McLeod's Stornoway black pudding. (Related to me) is it any wonder I look like a pie with legs!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah they're a great double act. Touch of a modern day Laurel & Hardy at times 😉

Or McLaurel and Hardeep!

Sorry, I'll get me coat.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up with Broons annuals too (and Oor Wullie), so I was tickled pink by Tony's Maw and the Mackerel. I really want to see that at the banquet.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pleased Tony got an 8 for his dish, thought it was really good, disappointed for Michael as his looked good aswell, not too bothered by Mark, hope he doesn't make it to friday.
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    I grew up with Broons annuals too (and Oor Wullie), so I was tickled pink by Tony's Maw and the Mackerel. I really want to see that at the banquet.

Not sure where you live but if you can get the Sunday Post, Tony was actually IN the Broons strip last weekend and I think is in it again this weekend too. I have a picture of the first strip but don't think I can post it here?
    Forum Member
    macsmurray wrote: »
    Or McLaurel and Hardeep!

Sorry, I'll get me coat.

😃😃 very good!
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Not sure where you live but if you can get the Sunday Post, Tony was actually IN the Broons strip last weekend and I think is in it again this weekend too. I have a picture of the first strip but don't think I can post it here?

The Sunday Post and The Broons were staples of my childhood growing up :D Really hope Tony makes the banquet (sorry Michael, you're lovely as well), just really like his take on the brief and he's completely adorable, plus his food really has made me smile (sorry other bloke, I'm sure you're a sweetheart as well :o )
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    So judging by what I've read of this thread, I'm in the minority (possibly of one!) that feels that no-one so far has delivered on the brief. Terribly boring, most of it. I feel they should just give Heston a call and have done with it.

I'll get my coat!
    Forum Member
    So judging by what I've read of this thread, I'm in the minority (possibly of one!) that feels that no-one so far has delivered on the brief. Terribly boring, most of it. I feel they should just give Heston a call and have done with it.

Yes, so far this series I just keep thinking Heston would wipe the floor with all of them, You just know his interpretations of the brief would be outstanding!
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sunday Post and The Broons were staples of my childhood growing up :D Really hope Tony makes the banquet (sorry Michael, you're lovely as well), just really like his take on the brief and he's completely adorable, plus his food really has made me smile (sorry other bloke, I'm sure you're a sweetheart as well :o )

I thought the red bubble wrap Pritt-sticked to the edge of his plate was hilarious - just possibly not in the way he inteneded :o

I take it that a chef assuming that the humour and fun is to be found in the restaurant-style presented food on the plate and not in the add-ons is going to be a weekly feature?

It looked like he had gone home and though, hum, might have missed a trick - what can I do to fun it up a bit. I know - where's that bubble wrap. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could anyone give updates on the scores so far? I've not seen last nights and I'm not going to have chance to catch up tonight!

Thanks!
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the Scots have done as well as I would have expected in Great British Menu and a couple of previous contestants have seemed to be very unlucky not to get a dish through. Tom Kitchin is one example. That said, I'm not terribly impressed so far: spam? fish you have to cook yourself at the table? Er...no, thanks; a horrible looking red egg - yes, I know it fits the brief and I do like Michael - he's a dish himself and quite charming - but it didn't look appetising. The marking seems quite harsh this week, though. What did Mark do to deserve a five? I can't remember his starter but I remember his face when the mark was delivered. He and Michael must have been surprised and disappointed at getting only a six for the fish as well. I was surprised Tony's wasn't a lower mark on account of not doing much work plus the hazard factor of chaos and possibly even accidents with the hot thing on the table.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    Could anyone give updates on the scores so far? I've not seen last nights and I'm not going to have chance to catch up tonight!

Thanks!

I think they are as follows:

Michael: 7 and 6
    Tony 5 and 8
    Mark 5 and 6.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CreamPuff wrote: »

Yes, so far this series I just keep thinking Heston would wipe the floor with all of them, You just know his interpretations of the brief would be outstanding!

But unfortunately these guys only have a limited time to cook and prepare their dishes something Heston doesn't have to worry about on his show!
    I'm sure if you give some of the chefs an entire day of preparation (and a highly skilled team of assistants) then they could easily compete with anything Heston could offer.
    Forum Member
    Yes but would they have the imagination, regardless of time issues. Adam last week could have had a week to finish each dish and they would all have probably still been bereft of any humour, etc. I watched Masterchef the Professionals on recorded tv last night and it was focused on Heston's Fat Duck. The imagination and creativity was inspiring. Lovely Tony this week certainly seems to have the seeds of a wonderful imagination.