Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    Short and very sweet. :)

Agreed. :):)
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    I popped into Port Issac on Tuesday 16th April but no filming was being done.

However, ( sorry if this has already been posted), but filming on the first three episodes will take place as follows:

Fri 26 April 8am - 7pm - around the School Hotel and Halwyn House

Tues 30 April 8.30am -11am Fern Cottage, then Fore Street in the afternoon

Wed 1 May 8am - 7pm In morning near Port Gaverne Hotel, and in afternnon near Boat House stores

Thurs 2 May 8am - 7pm Port Gaverne,and the Edge Restaurant

Fri 3 May 8am -7pm Near the Pea Pod and Sibbys Rose Hill in the afternoon

Tues 7 May 8am - 7pm in and near Pride of Place all day

Thurs 9 May 8am - 11am Fern Cotage on Roscarrock Hill, then back in the studio.

I would have loved to see some of the filming being done , but regretably I won't be able to go along on these dates.

Thanks for the info! Sorry you won't be able to pop back for any of it. I'll hope something changes for you.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    The Family Way

My PBS station was rerunning this episode last night and I had not watched it for a while. I was struck by the opposites of DMs parents and the joy of Roger Fenn in learning of Maureen's pregnancy. I know this has been mentioned many times in this forum but it is interesting to note that I can still be moved by how well the story lines are interwoven. It says so much about why we love this series - the stories, writing, and acting impress us no matter how many times we see them.

I particularly noted DM's reaction to Roger. Sharing Roger's joy; reflecting on his own parents but keeping it to himself; not raining on Roger's parade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    I've had multiple requests to upload this so I finally worked on it yesterday. Here's the link to part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ87BO8MSbo

What a doll!!!! Thanks so much. I'll be tuning in to see it again. It really is such a good show, and MC is fantastic!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Yes - and their mother played Mrs McLynn.

A couple of friends recommended the series "Jam & Jerusalem" so I have watched a couple of episodes so far on YT. Funny series - reminds me a bit of DM, but wackier. It is filmed in a town in Devon quite near Cornwall and the residents could be Portwenians. It is a French & Saunders production and Dawn French is hilarious - Joanna Lumley is also in it and she is a very wacky character - possibly the worst church organist ever :D. Part is set in a doctor's surgery and in the 2nd episode someone working in the surgery seems to have a bit of a blood phobia.

But DM family - one of the characters is played by the actress who played DM's first patient ("Collect 1,000 loyalty points, you get a free coffin"). And in E4, Shirley Dunwich shows up as a patient.

I recently watched J&J on DVD and it seemed silly to me at first but it developed and I really liked it by the end. I thought the young doctor's wife who became his office nurse (in the mold of his doctor father and nurse mother) was a hoot because she doesn't seem to be able to handle anything that resembles nursing! I'm glad you picked up on it because I think I missed that at first. And Dawn French is just outrageously good on this. Oh and on the DVD's I got here in the US from my library, they have renamed the series "Clatterford".
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She does get pretty shrewish in S5, though. In E4, I'm thinking of the episode at the breakfast table where she is rather snappish when he asks for reassurance that she will be home in time for him to see his first patient.

I still don't quite understand the look she gives Martin after her mother says "and you must be..." and he clips out, "yes."

I just thought that DM is very sensitive to be considered a man, and dating LG and also "her man". We see that during the S4 midwife episode; when Penhale tells him to not do what he would do, and here, with Eleanor. Right away he has to acknowledge he is with LG and is the father of her child. I mean, that's what I thought but it's interesting to see how others interpreted that moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been working on it for a long time...still haven't managed to pluck up the courage! I don't take rejection well....:o:p

I have one in my head, too! I need to write it all out before putting it up. I personally can never write chapter by chapter as sometimes plot changes in the succeeding chapters require me to emend earlier ones. I hope this school quarter is a bit less intense so I can write it out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I currently have two on there, and have been playing around with a couple more. One of them has a premise that may cause die-hard Louisa fans to stone me, so I hesitate posting that one! :p:rolleyes:

Thoroughly enjoyed your stories which I read some time ago.
    Don't be afraid -- go for it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So your question is a good one -- why does he continue to put up with her? And this takes us back to Adelie's proposition that it's up to Louisa this season to make or break their relationship. She has to decide once and for all whether what he can offer her is enough, or she can continue to waver and lash out and take umbrage, etc. and maybe one of these times DM will be the one who has had enough. Could happen.

She has always been the one to walk away from their romantic entanglement, which she has done now 5 times. 1) Throwing him out the cab after breath comment; 2) slapping him and walking away after he accused her of erotomania; 3) taking umbrage after being told that she had a fainly-urine smell 4) deciding to call off their wedding (mutual) and 5) going back home to mother.

It's possible to look at her behavior as over-reactions to small incidents, particularly 1) and 3). Perhaps the common thread, though, is his inability to allow himself to feel and express the love he has for her. I understand that he BEHAVED in devoted ways in S5; I think that Louisa's problem has always been that he cannot seem to be emotionally open with her, except in extreme situations. Each time she has relented possibly with the hope that things would be different. If he once again was unable to go through with the wedding, I think Louisa would have to decide whether she was going to give up on what wants from him and stay with him because she loves him and he's a good man, or; she has to leave him because ALTHOUGH she loves him and he's a good man, he won't be able to give her what she most wants and that lack would eventually corrode their marriage. She has to be the one to decide how important that is to her, or not. My basic point is, at some point, it's time to stop wavering around, and make a choice and live with it.

I don't like thinking of their relationship in the above bolded statement. I think that Doc would be putty in Louisa's hands if only she could express her understanding of him a bit more and she'd have what she wants.
    1. In the taxi home, she expresses herself with a kiss, and he definitely returns the favor.
    2. She gets some of what she wants when she plies him with wine and opens up about what her hopes were.
    3. She tells him "he's an extraordinary man" and his emotional dam bursts in response.
    4. She puts a flower in his lapel and gets her hand held.
    5. She tells him she needs him to consult her and he says "doesn't sound too difficult" like he's willing.
    etc. I don't think it has to be either/or but it is mostly about how they communicate. And it goes both ways (for both of them.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    To assuage the Doc Martin between season blues, I have posted a short - Dear Martin on FF.

And before you think about whining for more, there isn't any more on that one! :)

Rob

Thanks, Rob, I needed that fix!! Always enjoy your work.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some have mentioned Rory Wilton (Chippy) recently. There's a FB dedicated to his other show with pics.

https://www.facebook.com/WindsweptProductions
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like thinking of their relationship in the above bolded statement. I think that Doc would be putty in Louisa's hands if only she could express her understanding of him a bit more and she'd have what she wants.
    1. In the taxi home, she expresses herself with a kiss, and he definitely returns the favor.
    2. She gets some of what she wants when she plies him with wine and opens up about what her hopes were.
    3. She tells him "he's an extraordinary man" and his emotional dam bursts in response.
    5. She tells him she needs him to consult her and he says "doesn't sound too difficult" like he's willing.
    etc. I don't think it has to be either/or but it is mostly about how they communicate. And it goes both ways (for both of them.)

I agree that a lot of Louisa's dilemma she creates for herself, by not being able to understand or appreciate the ways he does try to communicate his feelings for her. She could get a lot more of what she wants if she actually told him what she wanted, instead of expecting him to be a mind-reader.

I'm not sure though that he would reliably be putty in her hands. He is "difficult," high-handed, has a temper, gets his back up rather easily sometimes, and has a lot of difficulty showing his feelings. He may get better at all those things, and she may learn to read him better and to communicate with him better, but I suspect it will continue to be a stormy relationship.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I have one in my head, too! I need to write it all out before putting it up. I personally can never write chapter by chapter as sometimes plot changes in the succeeding chapters require me to emend earlier ones. I hope this school quarter is a bit less intense so I can write it out.

Fingers crossed!! We'll be standing by!
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His "doesn't sound too difficult" line always seemed like a put down to me. As though he is dismissing what she is saying. I'm not sure he understands how she feels and why it is important to her. He doesn't validate her feelings with that line, in my opinion.

She is not that great, either. She takes him for granted a lot, and demands a lot from him. She needs to acknowledge his contributions more. Although she is impressed how he puts the crib together.

But I don't think she criticizes his core as much as he does of her. She gets mad at him for what he does or doesn't do. He questions her abilities and doesn't acknowledge that her contributions to the world are unique, and that she is needed. He makes decisions without consulting her. She mostly complains about his actions, and is always very respectful of his skills as a doctor. He loves her, that is obvious, and would go to the ends of the world for her. He needs to let her know how he feels.

They are so complicated that I have a hard time figuring the two of them out, especially after series 5. I just go around in circles. I hope I get some clarity in series 6.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    His "doesn't sound too difficult" line always seemed like a put down to me. As though he is dismissing what she is saying. I'm not sure he understands how she feels and why it is important to her. He doesn't validate her feelings with that line, in my opinion.

She is not that great, either. She takes him for granted a lot, and demands a lot from him. She needs to acknowledge his contributions more. Although she is impressed how he puts the crib together.

But I don't think she criticizes his core as much as he does of her. She gets mad at him for what he does or doesn't do. He questions her abilities and doesn't acknowledge that her contributions to the world are unique, and that she is needed. He makes decisions without consulting her. She mostly complains about his actions, and is always very respectful of his skills as a doctor. He loves her, that is obvious, and would go to the ends of the world for her. He needs to let her know how he feels.

They are so complicated that I have a hard time figuring the two of them out, especially after series 5. I just go around in circles. I hope I get some clarity in series 6.

After getting myself into a muddle yesterday, I thought that perhaps one reason they were so complicated and difficult to figure out was that the writers have not always portrayed them consistently, in the interests of drawing out the story line. I wonder how their characters would have been portrayed if they had married them in S3, and spent S4 and S5 showing how they adjusted to marriage and a child, with a lot more emphasis on the village, DM's practice, etc.

I think fanfiction portrays them much more consistently and perhaps that is one reason we enjoy it so much.

Good insight that she seems to have issues with his behavior while he is much more dismissive of her core -- her village, her profession, her family. I think also he is very patronizing when he starts droning on about "studies show." I know he can't help it, but I'd want to hurl something at him after a while. Sometimes it almost seems like he's in love with her against his will and better intellectual judgement.
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    . Sometimes it almost seems like he's in love with her against his will and better intellectual judgement.

I think the same can be said of Louisa. Perhaps it is this facet of the relationship that makes the series compelling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    And I go back to Harry Potter - Phil Pratt (Roger Lloyd Pack) and Mrs Dunwich (Miriam Margoylyes) and in the movies - the 2nd one - Pam Ferris - who gives him the Cloutie. I think there is one other one but it slips my mind now. HP used all English actors and their MuggleNet site had a lot of fan fiction.
    PS I am not a kid. HP was very inventive writing/story telling and all his fans yearned for him to have a romantic interest.
    A few more:
    Anne Reid
    DM - Mrs. Digley
    Booze Cruise (Cheers and Tears) - wife who cuts down the trees

Anna Chancellor
    Legend of the Clouite - Nicky Bowden (woman trying to buy the same house as Doc M)
    Staggered - Carmen, the psychiatrist who befriends Neil
    (The bride is wearing almost the same wedding gown as Louisa in the non-weddng . :eek: I'm glad they moved on)

Peter Vaughan
    Morwenna's Granddad
    Beauty - Mr Robbins
    (one of my favorite MC movies)(also directed by Ben Bolt)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    I thought nothing of this phrase because my grandmother used to say it all the time. Whenever some driver was rude or a person at a store was snippy, she would say "well, they're off the Christmas card list." I think it was just a way of saying "So, we're not going to friends. Meh."

I also questioned this. It's the same look she gives when Eleanor says something like "speak to your man" when he's arguing with Chippy. Is she embarrassed about DM? Is it that she can't explain DM? Is it that she can't explain her relationship and looks embarrassed when they are referred to each other as a couple?

I did not take it as embarrassment - I took it as EXASPERATION. Two immovable objects - DM and Eleanor - colliding and here is little ol' Louisa caught in the middle.
    Forum Member
    larablair wrote: »
    A few more:
    Anne Reid
    DM - Mrs. Digley
    Booze Cruise (Cheers and Tears) - wife who cuts down the trees

Anna Chancellor
    Legend of the Clouite - Nicky Bowden (woman trying to buy the same house as Doc M)
    Staggered - Carmen, the psychiatrist who befriends Neil
    (The bride is wearing almost the same wedding gown as Louisa in the non-weddng . :eek: I'm glad they moved on)

Peter Vaughan
    Morwenna's Granddad
    Beauty - Mr Robbins
    (one of my favorite MC movies)(also directed by Ben Bolt)

Probably our British friends find this tiresome ( I don't look for this in American TV) but one other thing I have noticed - so many of these actors have been on Coronation Street - but probablly because it is so long running. And also, most of them have extensive filmographies because they are good and well known British actors. All the better for us and DM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    I think the same can be said of Louisa. Perhaps it is this facet of the relationship that makes the series compelling.

Very good point. The conflict is not only between them but within each of them. So we can see the advance-withdraw dance played out internally as well as externally. No wonder it draws us in so much.

And the called-off wedding makes more sense in that context -- temporarily, for both of them, their "better judgement" won. But, as was said of an entirely different relationship, "the heart wants what the heart wants," and sooner or later it will prevail.
    Forum Member
    New series with Julie Graham

Something new on my PBS station last night, The Bletchley Circle - about 4 women who had been code/cipher workers during the war coming together in the early '50s to solve a series of viscious rapes and murders. I hope it is good, the first episode hooked me.
    Forum Member
    Very good point. The conflict is not only between them but within each of them. So we can see the advance-withdraw dance played out internally as well as externally. No wonder it draws us in so much.

And the called-off wedding makes more sense in that context -- temporarily, for both of them, their "better judgement" won. But, as was said of an entirely different relationship, "the heart wants what the heart wants," and sooner or later it will prevail.

I like that "between and within" concept.
    I find the extensive character and motivation tomes tedious at times but I guess it does help us all clarify our own thoughts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »

I think they are both so desperate for love and having a loving family--neither of which they had growing up, which has haunted both of them their entire lives--that the fact that they honestly love each other is something they have a deep need to hold onto, even with the separations and arguments.

So much so, that even better partners for them, Danny and Edith, cannot squash that love.

What's interesting is that we know what type of man Louisa wants--someone moral and ethical and very competent at their job like Martin is, who is committed to healing others even if he doesn't like them, and is dependable in emergencies. But we know she also wants that emotional and communicative man, who showers her with endless affection, support and romance.

But, you know, we don't really know what type of woman DM really wants. Obviously, one who looks like LG, but what else would he really wish her to be like? I'm not so sure we have gotten a clear picture of DM's ideal woman.
    Forum Member
    After getting myself into a muddle yesterday, I thought that perhaps one reason they were so complicated and difficult to figure out was that the writers have not always portrayed them consistently, in the interests of drawing out the story line. I wonder how their characters would have been portrayed if they had married them in S3, and spent S4 and S5 showing how they adjusted to marriage and a child, with a lot more emphasis on the village, DM's practice, etc.

I think fanfiction portrays them much more consistently and perhaps that is one reason we enjoy it so much.

Good insight that she seems to have issues with his behavior while he is much more dismissive of her core -- her village, her profession, her family. I think also he is very patronizing when he starts droning on about "studies show." I know he can't help it, but I'd want to hurl something at him after a while. Sometimes it almost seems like he's in love with her against his will and better intellectual judgement.

I think the writers do a good job of stayiing in character - and of moving those characters along. DM is not the same in S5 as he was in 1-4, but his essential elements are still there. Same with Louisa and the other major characters. If the characters did not evolve what would be the point?

There were times when FF got a bit tedious as many stories picked up phrases and descriptions right from the dialogue without a full expansion of the theme. But I LOVE FF so don't stop ---
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I think they are both so desperate for love and having a loving family--neither of which they had growing up, which has haunted both of them their entire lives--that the fact that they honestly love each other is something they have a deep need to hold onto, even with the separations and arguments.

So much so, that even better partners for them, Danny and Edith, cannot squash that love.

What's interesting is that we know what type of man Louisa wants--someone moral and ethical and very competent at their job like Martin is, who is committed to healing others even if he doesn't like them, and is dependable in emergencies. But we know she also wants that emotional and communicative man, who showers her with endless affection, support and romance.

But, you know, we don't really know what type of woman DM really wants. Obviously, one who looks like LG, but what else would he really wish her to be like? I'm not so sure we have gotten a clear picture of DM's ideal woman.

And that is because, true to the original character, he has never thought about that. In the first episode it is clear (IMO) that he is gob-smacked by Louisa and his sudden affection/desire for her.
This discussion has been closed.