Sleepy Hollow (UK Pace) on Universal

Comments

• anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffle wrote: »
    I missed some of the beginning so did they say why an Englishman was fighting on the American side during the war ?

He said he was English, came to fight in the war, but went over and joined forces with the Americans because of the social injustice he witnessed.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He said he was English, came to fight in the war, but went over and joined forces with the Americans because of the social injustice he witnessed.

Techically at the time of the revolution all the colonists were British citizens so all the rebels were Brits

Hands up everyone who was expecting the sheriff to be a wrong 'un simply because he was played by Clancy Brown??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/10/sleepy-hollow-opens-strong-universal-channel/

Viewing figures of 0.4 million last night. That might not sound a lot but it's amazingly good for a programme broadcast on Universal
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I'm hooked already.
    Great start to SH - The Mills & Crane Show.

But who do you trust there, not that detective Irving for one.
    Hope we see more of Katrina.;)
    And the Headless Red Coat.:cool:
    Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones.
    I'm guessing that cost a lot of money to put on the soundtrack.
    Hope this is not going to be pants like Atlantis.
    Impossible to Compare.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    I'm hooked already.
    Great start to SH - The Mills & Crane Show.

Hope we see more of Katrina.;)
    And the Headless Red Coat.:cool:

I'm guessing that cost a lot of money to put on the soundtrack.

Impossible to Compare.

I was comparing the aspects of time travel only.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Hands up everyone who was expecting the sheriff to be a wrong 'un simply because he was played by Clancy Brown??

*puts hand up*. :o
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member

I have seen at least one British person on the net say they can't root for him because he is a traitor.:)
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Viewing figures of 0.4 million last night. That might not sound a lot but it's amazingly good for a programme broadcast on Universal
    It's the first time I've watched anything on Universal. They don't seem to have an HD version on my cable, so they don't usually get a look-in. And to be honest, when I saw their huge digital on-screen graphic I nearly gave up.

Good pilot, shame about the channel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    It's been renewed for a second season (13 episodes per season.)

Really enjoyed the pilot, far darker than I had expected and hit just the right notes. It felt a bit 'once upon a supernatural fringe' :)
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    i thought it was really good , the dark gloomy atmosphere is just great.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pilot has got me hooked from the start, which is usually a good sign. Looking forward to this, so far looks like it will be the best new show this season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Great first episode, a lot happened in the pilot,
    sad to see John Cho go so fast.
    Heard it's a ratings hit in the US, seems that these type of fantasy shows are 'in' at the moment (although that said Once Upon a Time in Wonderland doesn't seem to have opened well).
    Liked the guy playing Ichabod and detective, although there were certain parts that they glazed over for convienience such as why the Captain would let the Lieutenant team up with a potential loon. But from the look he was giving her in the Sheriff's office, it seems he might have some part to play in all this.
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was great, looking forward to more of this.

I got a weird feeling originally this episode had much more content, as it was VERY straight to the point and skipped about a bit. I'm guessing a higher up exec or whatever ordered "some clipping" before original broadcast in US. Not hard to believe when most pilots these days are extra length.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, especially his surprise at a black woman being anything but a slave. However I do think he adapted far too quickly, I mean seriously 200 years of technological advances are not that easy to accept in 5 mins!

Will be watching next week thou.

Anyone else think the boss/detective in charge will turn out to know more than he's letting on? Not sure which side he's on yet!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, especially his surprise at a black woman being anything but a slave. However I do think he adapted far too quickly, I mean seriously 200 years of technological advances are not that easy to accept in 5 mins!

Anyone else think the boss/detective in charge will turn out to know more than he's letting on? Not sure which side he's on yet!

Not as bad as the character Jason adapting from modern day to ancient Atlantis.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes this looks promising, like both the leads.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member

That's one thing that doesn't ring true in SH - if any of this could.;)
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the pilot - great new show, hope it continues as good
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Just watched the first episode. Really enjoyed it and hope it carries on as well as it started.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's one thing that doesn't ring true in SH - if any of this could.;)

:D Yes it always amazes me that some people have no problem accepting all the completely impossible occurrences in a program such as this but then worry about something as benign as accepting changes too quickly which is perfectly possible if unlikely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I didn't realise the guy's name.

An obvious nod to Washington Irving, the writer of the original short story The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow.

Irving met a real Ichabod Crane during the War of 1812

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichabod_Crane_(Colonel)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Is it just me who didn't like this?

Personally I thoguht this was one of the worst pilots/first episodes I've seen in a while. It seemed to move at breakneck pace, smashing you around the head with a half tonne of exposition all the while in a rushed job to set up the next 7 year mythology of the show (even the 7-year time frame is mentioned) in some desperate attempt to get you hooked. It just never seemed to stop and catch it's breath so we could get to know the characters. They all just seemed to accept everything that was happening instantly and there was no real mystery left to discover about why Icabod was suspended in time and the real mission of the series which could be done over the first season. So no real reason for me to come back next week.

I agree with the earlier comment that this pilot probably was a lot longer originally and seemed to have been trimmed down as it definitely felt that way to me in terms of pacing.

I wasn't personally a fan of either of the main leads which probably didn't help, just didnt feel their chemistry.

I acknowledge that most others appear to enjoy this and usually I give new series a good few episodes to see how things develop enough to get me hooked (Grimm made it to 2 thirds of the way through season 1 before I gave up) but, for once, I have absolutely no desire to see any more Sleep Hollow...
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clancy Brown made me smile, had to be a sly joke with him being beheaded and being the Kurgan!
    Len Wiseman directed this and think he did the pilot for Hawai 50 in which at the end the big fight was between two actors who had played vampires in tv shows, dunno if that was a sly nod to the past or just a coincidence.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member

I've never understood this position (I didn't understand the criticism in the Atlantis thread either). What is he expected to do, just stand in a confused stupor for the entire episode?

What else can you do in these situations except accept them and get on with it? Particularly if you're the hero where anything less than adaptable and decisive is just going to make you a bit of a wimp. It's not like he was actually using any of the technology.

Really loved this too, by the way :)
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sian2011 wrote: »
    hummmmm no sure. Will give it another go but found it all a bit twee to be honest.

Vicars being beheaded by undead Horsemen = sickeningly sweet, quaint and dainty.

Odd benchmark for twee you have there, you must know some strange old grannies. :p