BBC Local Radio & how they spend the budget!

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Taking the example of the Eastern Counties, they provide 5 hours of programmes every weekday as well as jazz, country, soul, rock 'n' roll and oldies shows at the weekend. This is a lot more than the East Midlands. Could this be why there is money left in the E Midlands budget to pay for separate news bulletins?
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - XFM
    I just said don't have the audacity to say this pathetic station. You might as well say Radio 3 is like Classic FM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. The BBC shouldn't be spending money on competing with commercial ventures.
    That's what BBC Radio 1, 1Xtra and to some extent 6 do.
    They don't. And you saying that proves you don't know what you are talking about.
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    I just said don't have the audacity to say this pathetic station. You might as well say Radio 3 is like Classic FM.
    It is a bit.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Ray266 wrote: »
    BBC goes on wasting money & thats something they are good at.

To be fair, the commercial sector waste plenty too. At least you get a lot of diverse content on the BBC that the commercial sector won't provide.
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many people work on that car crash of a Radio 1 Breakfast show?
    And don't forget all the compliance assistants, officers and head of compliance that every word that idiot Grimshaw says has to go through...
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to mention all the Producers BBC Radio has one for every programme a total waste of money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a bit.
    A bit? Is Radio 3 like Classic FM a bit? What a ludicrous comment.
    Forum Member
    Ray266 wrote: »
    Not to mention all the Producers BBC Radio has one for every programme a total waste of money.

Given the speech content of BBC shows they are very much needed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »

Eh?
    I'm listening to one local radio station (BBC) and it's churning out 1950s music crap. On a Saturday afternoon. The presenter hasn't said anything - and no doubt that show has a Producer, Broadcast Assistant and a Journalist attached. The BBC.

As for Radio 1, given that the output after 6pm at night is totally inaccessible to anyone with more than one brain cell I see no point in any of it being "live" and could be recorded during the day with a maximum of 2 producers over seeing the production.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Classic FM actually make classical music 'accessible', something that the BBC has failed to do, despite it's expensive 'trailers' telling us how brilliant they are.

Not often I praise Global, but Classic FM is certainly more inclusive than BBC network radio ever has been.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't. And you saying that proves you don't know what you are talking about.

Oh really? What's Strictly Come Dancing all about then? Or The Voice?

On radio, does it really need to have a "top 40" anymore?

The BBC should be 3 TV channels - 1, 2 and News. On radio, a news channel, a culture channel and to be honest, that's it. No one asked the BBC to have all these TV and radio channels, they've done it and to hell with the "Licence fee payer" who is generally treated with contempt by those who run the bloody corporation.
    Forum Member

The BBC should be 3 TV channels - 1, 2 and News. On radio, a news channel, a culture channel and to be honest, that's it. No one asked the BBC to have all these TV and radio channels, they've done it and to hell with the "Licence fee payer" who is generally treated with contempt by those who run the bloody corporation.
    I would say they should have more than that, but no Licence Fee.
    Forum Member
    Some BBC Local radio talk shows get by with producer and what about all the music shows?
    Why is it "ludicrous"? you seem to only want the BBC to keep the stations you like. I don't listen to Radio 3 but at least it is better than the fake dj's of Radio 1 & 2.
    Forum Member
    How many people work on that car crash of a Radio 1 Breakfast show?
    And don't forget all the compliance assistants, officers and head of compliance that every word that idiot Grimshaw says has to go through...

Presenter
    Program Editor
    Executive Producer
    Producer
    Assistant Producer
    Broadcast Journalist
    Assistant Broadcast Journalist
    Tech Op
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some BBC Local radio talk shows get by with producer and what about all the music shows?

Why is it "ludicrous"? you seem to only want the BBC to keep the stations you like. I don't listen to Radio 3 but at least it is better than the fake dj's of Radio 1 & 2.
    No that is you. I didn't suggest Radio 3 should be closed you are the one that is demanding BBC stations that you don't like are closed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes and why shouldn't it? You are the one that is treating the licence fee payer with contempt because you only want the BBC to provide programmes and stations that you like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh?
    I'm listening to one local radio station (BBC) and it's churning out 1950s music crap. On a Saturday afternoon. The presenter hasn't said anything - and no doubt that show has a Producer, Broadcast Assistant and a Journalist attached. The BBC.

As for Radio 1, given that the output after 6pm at night is totally inaccessible to anyone with more than one brain cell I see no point in any of it being "live" and could be recorded during the day with a maximum of 2 producers over seeing the production.
    You are telling me that the excellent Zane Lowe is aimed at people without brain cells? To come out with that comment says more about you than anybody else.
    Forum Member
    No that is you. I didn't suggest Radio 3 should be closed you are the one that is demanding BBC stations that you don't like are closed.
    No not because I don't like, it's just there is too much money going in to the wrong places in the BBC, you can't tell me that it is ok to have 4 - 7 people working on one show and most are not even talk show!
    Forum Member
    Eh?

I can tell you that BBC Local radio show you listened to would not have 2 or 3 people working on it. On some shows like that it only has the presenter working on it. I listen to Iain Lee (BBC WM) on Saturday morning and he only has one person working on his show which is 100% talk.
    Forum Member
    Presenter
    Program Editor
    Executive Producer
    Producer
    Assistant Producer
    Broadcast Journalist
    Assistant Broadcast Journalist
    Tech Op

At least two of those positions are often unpaid internships these days
    Forum Member
    At least two of those positions are often unpaid internships these days
    Which ones?

Even if 2 are unpaid (which they are not) 6 people on one show is way too many. Would you agree?
    Forum Member
    Which ones?

Even if 2 are unpaid (which they are not) 6 people on one show is way too many. Would you agree?

The assistant positions.

And it depends what you compare it against. Commercial stations have less content usually.
    Forum Member
    And it depends what you compare it against. Commercial stations have less content usually.
    But you can't say that 6 people working on BBC shows where they play about 10 songs a hour is fair, when on other BBC shows there is 2 people working on it and they play no music? :confused:
    Forum Member
    But you can't say that 6 people working on BBC shows where they play about 10 songs a hour is fair, when on other BBC shows there is 2 people working on it and they play no music? :confused:

Depends on the show. I have some experience of BBC Local radio (and commercial radio), the two couldn't be more different, and it shows in the content.

As for what you say, how many of those are paid? And what is the programme budget? Have they overspent and cut down down on the staff, or are there a lot of work experience people there?

I can only make educated comment if i know the answers to those questions i'm afraid.

If not i fall into the trap of reacting to "Oooh, that's a lot of people" syndrome, and that doesn't really help.