Star Trek DS9 V Star Trek TNG

chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,784
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I am trying to like Star Trek Deep Space Nine (now it is on Virgin 1), I really am. Is it just me or does anyone else think it is pants compared with 'The Next Generation'? and to some extent, 'Voyager'? I know it is supposed to have a different feel to it, but it is all conflict and more conflict and if I had a penny for everytime the words 'Bajor' and 'Bajorans' were mentioned I would be a very rich man! When is 'The Next Generation' going to be repeated? :(

Comments

• batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love all of the Treks, but I do have a soft spot for Jean-Luc!

Me persoanlly, I would rate the series in order of my favourite being TNG, then Voyager, then DS9, then Enterprise, and the TOS (just basically because TOS just seems sooo dated now, and the acting just looks sooo hamy-espicially tthe fight scenes).

I actualy quite like DS9, but to me there are just to many similarities to TNG for Data in TNG read Otto in DS9, and for Crusher read Julian in DS9, and for Quark in DS9 read Guinan in TNG. There may be a more healthy cast list in DS9, but you can see whom they based their character's traits upon.
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just out of curiosity how is Quark Guinan? Or is it just because they both tend bar?
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love all of the Treks, but I do have a soft spot for Jean-Luc!

Me persoanlly, I would rate the series in order of my favourite being TNG, then Voyager, then DS9, then Enterprise, and the TOS (just basically because TOS just seems sooo dated now, and the acting just looks sooo hamy-espicially tthe fight scenes).

I actualy quite like DS9, but to me there are just to many similarities to TNG for Data in TNG read Otto in DS9, and for Crusher read Julian in DS9, and for Quark in DS9 read Guinan in TNG. There may be a more healthy cast list in DS9, but you can see whom they based their character's traits upon.

What a coincidence as the order I like the diferent series is the same! ;)I might swap Enterprise for T.O.S though. I didn't really get Enterprise. I hadn't thought of those character comparisons before. I guess they are staring me in the face! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hugsie wrote: »
    just out of curiosity how is Quark Guinan? Or is it just because they both tend bar?

and are good listeners! :)
  • edwinastleyedwinastley Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    Having sat through both series in their entirety in the last year I would say DS9 is better than TNG by light years.

If you like simplistic stories all neatly wrapped up at the end of 43 minutes by one dimensional characters then TNG is fine -- its a series thats easy to drop in and out of without missing much.

The multi layered DS9 has well developed characters and so many back stories and intricate plots that it rewards the dedicated viewer in spades.

However just like TNG the first 2 seasons of DS9 are not the show at its best.

But by the second half of season 2 its well on the way.
    But its not a show that remains interesting if you miss episodes.
    Its the only Trek series where its necessary to see virtually all the episodes.

As DS9 is about the Federation assisting Bajor into becoming members by using a space station that the Cardassions used during the occupation of Bajor, and that Sisko has been named as the Emmisary to Bajor - that might explain why DS9 mentions
    Bajor a lot:rolleyes:

Bit like moaning when Star Trek Voyager keeps mentioning Voyager all the time

But I agree that some early DS9 episodes can seem a bit dull .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having sat through both series in their entirety in the last year I would say DS9 is better than TNG by light years.

If you like simplistic stories all neatly wrapped up at the end by one dimensionla charactera then TNG is fine -- its a series thats easy to drop in and out of without missing much.

The multi layered DS9 has well developed characters and so many back stories and intricate plots that its rewards the dedicated viewer in spades.

However just like TNG the first 2 seasons of DS9 are not the show at its best.

But by the second half of season 2 its well on the way.
    But its not a show that remains interesting if you miss episodes.
    Its the only Trek series where its necessary to see virtually all the episodes.

As DS9 is about the Federation assisting Bajor into becoming members by using a space station that the Cardassions used during the occupation of Bajor, and that Sisko has been named as the Emmisary to Bajor - that might explain why DS9 mentions
    Bajor a lot:rolleyes:

Bit like moaning when Star Trek Voyager keeps mentioning Voyager all the time

You could have a point there. I do miss episodes and find the stories hard to follow. I do prefer individual episodes. I don't agree that he characters are one dimentional though. Look at Data's quest to be more like humans or Wesley Crusher, growing up for example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    and are good listeners! :)
    MMm

OK Odo and Data, I get the comparision, both unique, learning about humanity and their origins, but Two caring doctors, and two bar keeps who are good listeners? (In quark's case when it suited him.) I mean if quark was such a good listener why did he never realise how smart Rom was?
    :)
    I just can't see any depth to the other comparisons, but I freely accept, I may have over looked things :o

For the record I loved TNG, DS9 and Voyager and watched all as the video releases came in the UK. My brother bought them and I was hooked, but I think each was my favourite on first viewing, but now I just remember them all fondly. They are very different so I tend not to compare them to myself.

I hope that makes sense:o

This will probably get moved by the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hugsie wrote: »
    MMm

OK Odo and Data, I get the comparision, both unique, learning about humanity and their origins, but Two caring doctors, and two bar keeps who are good listeners? (In quark's case when it suited him.) I mean if quark was such a good listener why did he never realise how smart Rom was?
    :)
    I just can't see any depth to the other comparisons, but I freely accept, I may have over looked things :o

For the record I loved TNG, DS9 and Voyager and watched all as the video releases came in the UK. My brother bought them and I was hooked, but I think each was my favourite on first viewing, but now I just remember them all fondly. They are very different so I tend not to compare them to myself.

I hope that makes sense:o

This will probably get moved by the way.

I think we are overdue a new Star Trek series, but I think they are concentrating on an 'Enterprise' film instead. :( There have been rumours over the years, but I would like to see a series about the Academy and also one set after TNG, perhaps with the time travelling ships. What do you think?
    Forum Member
    You could have a point there. I do miss episodes and find the stories hard to follow. I do prefer individual episodes. I don't agree that he characters are one dimentional though. Look at Data's quest to be more like humans or Wesley Crusher, growing up for example.

Compared to TOS the characters of TNG appear to be fully fleshed out characters ,bit if you watch DS9 fully over the 7 years the characters of TNG do indeed appear very basic.

I think the depth of characterisation took a step backward again with Voyager
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, growing up over a period of years is an unavoidable physical process and not a true indication of dramatic character growth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we are overdue a new Star Trek series, but I think they are concentrating on an 'Enterprise' film instead. :( There have been rumours over the years, but I would like to see a series about the Academy and also one set after TNG, perhaps with the time travelling ships. What do you think?

I did not even dip into enterprise when it aired, and still have not, so I am very happy to enjoy reruns for a while. Sometimes a break is good. I would try something new if it came though.
    Forum Member
    I have to admit that even though I've had all of Enterprise on dvd since its release I've yet to watch more than the opening titles (which I hate).

I shall delve into that show after I conclude Voyager on dvd
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit that even though I've had all of Enterprise on dvd since its release I've yet to watch more than the opening titles (which I hate).

I shall delve into that show after I conclude Voyager on dvd

I loved voyager for it's easy viewing. They had such a comfortable life for a "lost" crew, taking on whole whole worlds and rarely struggling. I would have liked to watch the adventures on that other lost Star Fleet ship. The one that abandoned the prime directive. That would have been an interesting journey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    In the wake of nimoys passing, forget DS9, surely the only question is TOS v TNG which was better. I have to give TOS to the characters, story wise TNG takes it. I'd give the tv series to TNG but big screen movie wise TOS was the better, some how the TNG films are so forgettable & boring where you never really get tired of watching the TOS movies.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loomes wrote: »
    In the wake of nimoys passing, forget DS9, surely the only question is TOS v TNG which was better. I have to give TOS to the characters, story wise TNG takes it. I'd give the tv series to TNG but big screen movie wise TOS was the better, some how the TNG films are so forgettable & boring where you never really get tired of watching the TOS movies.

No. His death should not trigger yet another childish this v that debate. If anything, it should mark a celebration of all Star Trek. IDIC.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    loomes wrote: »

What on earth has Leornard Nimoy's death got to do with whether DS9, TOS or TNG are better?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS9 wins it for me

DS9 has a brilliant story arc which was mapped out over several years. TNG didn't. TNG was just too much standalone alone for my liking. But when it had short arcs, they never delivered.

DS9 for me had a more likeable and fleshed out supporting cast. I felt every single character shined. TNG for me didn't. Or if they were developed, the development was normally in later seasons which is too long. But Picard was a much better captain than Sisko.

DS9 was much more bold with the stories it told. TNG had the ideas and creativity, but the scripts were ever so poor.

Enterprise was an abomination. Voyager is underrated but scripts did come across half arsed and normally faltered in resolutions, so i can see why some dislike it.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    I am trying to like Star Trek Deep Space Nine (now it is on Virgin 1), I really am. Is it just me or does anyone else think it is pants compared with 'The Next Generation'? and to some extent, 'Voyager'? I know it is supposed to have a different feel to it, but it is all conflict and more conflict and if I had a penny for everytime the words 'Bajor' and 'Bajorans' were mentioned I would be a very rich man! When is 'The Next Generation' going to be repeated? :(

personally i think DS9 is much better than TNG, especially in the later seasons

i like all the Strar Trek series, DS9 is my fave though
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the conflict, that's what makes it my favourite series.

No farting around.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    RebelScum's already nailed the answer to this one....:)
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't DS9 accused of being a copy of Babylon 5?
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, DS9 was a poor man's Star Trek until they brought Worf in and had all the Dominion stuff. Then it was just as good as TNG.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Wasn't DS9 accused of being a copy of Babylon 5?

i have never seen babylon 5 so i cannot comment but i heard something about it

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Babylon_5

Straczynski has suggested that Paramount TV development executives may have "guided" the development of Deep Space Nine with the intention of co-opting Babylon 5. [9] He has, however, been careful to point out that he does not believe that Berman or Piller were aware of the Babylon 5 concept when they were developing Deep Space Nine, or that they deliberately ripped off Babylon 5.
  • THE ROTCODTHE ROTCOD Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the last 2 seasons of ds9 were the best but still don't get close to tng
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Re DS9 vs B5

Joe Straczynski, who created B5, when he was trying to get the show off the ground pitched it to a number of studios. One of these was Paramount who were given and held the B5 series bible for a number of months, after which they declined because they had a similar show in development (DS9). The more extreme conspiracy theorists propose that Paramount ripped off the B5 series bible and essentially put all of those elements into DS9, albeit in different forms. What's more likely to have happened is that Paramount held the bible, but Piller and Berman finalised the concept for DS9 in the meantime. It's fairly clear from the DS9 dvd extras that the 'station' idea was their's and not Paramount's and that if anything Paramount were incredibly cautious as it was a radical departure from the established Trek template.

What might have happened, is that Paramount may have chipped in with ideas that either consciously, or sub-consciously came from the B5 bible. I doubt Piller or Berman would have known either way - it would probably have been channeled to them as 'Network feedback'.