Freeview and STB

My block has just been upgraded via a digital aerial to receive Freeview. If I connect the TV to the aerial outlet directly, I get all the usual Freeview channels. If I connect the telly via the T+ STB, I get a total of 8 Freeview channels only (and loose Virigin 1 as per previous post). Anyone know how I can get a better signal? The STB is connected to the telly via HDMI, would scart give better reception and more channels?

Comments

• DazinhoDazinho Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also have a cable connected from the Aerial Out socket at the back of the STB to the Aerial In socket on my TV. It passes the signal through and I get all channels on the TV as if I have plugged the cable directly into it. It also means I get red-button etc.

The only draw back is that you need to have the STB plugged in and switched on for a signal to be received (although the box can be in standby).
  • iabw12iabw12 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    That's the same as my set up - so why aren't I getting all the channels (and red button services)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Here in London, my Tiscali STB picks up most of the Freeview channels, including Virgin 1 (channel 46). Have you tried selecting, ‘DTT Scanning’? To access it, press the, ‘TV Guide’ button and then select, ‘MyTV’ followed by, ‘TV Settings’. Unfortunately, Tiscali does not yet support the red button.
  • DazinhoDazinho Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware when you pass the signal into the STB and then out of it into your television everything should appear and operate as if the STB is not there.

I did have a problem before where I had purchased a cheap RF cable - this caused me to receive few channels. Perhaps the cable running between your STB and TV is not able to handle digital signals and you are losing some along the way.

Do you get the same freeview channel line up through your STB EPG and your TV EPG?
  • iabw12iabw12 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Hmmm... I'm wondering if it's an RF cable issue - it's a pretty cheap one. There's a difference when passing the signal through the STB, I "loose" channels (such as Virgin) and they re-appear when the aerial is connected directly. I get far more channels on the telly EPG than I do with the STB EPG, so I think I'm losing signal quality. I didn't know if there were different types of RF cable. I think I'll have a go at googling RF cable and see what comes up!
  • ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For legal/licensing reasons not all Freeview channels are on Tiscali, so your box won't show them all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    And the demand for red button services has been ignored by TUTV with a single-minded determination for a number of years. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Worth noting that Tiscali TV isn’t a Freeview service and licence its channels from the channel operators under commercial distribution agreements. Some channels are taken from DTT to complement the distribution down the phone line to allow customers the opportunity to watch and record two or more channel simultaneously on Tiscali+.