Options

Talk talk finally joins canvass

youddiphyouddiph Posts: 956
Forum Member
✭✭
About time! Tiscali tv will be far more viable with canvas access!

Comments

• Options
    ethelethel Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    youddiph wrote: »

Story here:

And

here

Hopefully this means a bright future for Tiscali TV & IPTV in general. :)

D.
  • Options
    ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or it could mean the end of Tiscali TV if they think Canvas on its own is good enough.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zapomatic wrote: »
    Or it could mean the end of Tiscali TV if they think Canvas on its own is good enough.
    http://pressoffice.talktalk.co.uk/news/item/channel_4_and_talktalk_sign_up_to_project_canvas/?phpMyAdmin=0f0a850a9f027986a254b43352595a5e
    Max Alexander, Senior Director, TV at TalkTalk said:

“We’ve led the way in making the internet accessible by championing value and building the most extensive network. We’re pleased to support Project Canvas and believe that it will be of great interest to our 4 million customers.”
    Looks like Tiscali TV will now be renamed TalkTalk TV and has all the content deals and billing in place. Looks like the new Talktalk TV service will be offered to all Tiscali, TalkTalk and AOL customers!

What Canvas offers is a platform for box makers so eventually rather than being tied to the current Tiscali set top box, customers can have a choice of set top boxes or TVs with the kit built in from several makers, so these can connect to the new Talk Talk TV with BBC iplayer, ITV/ch4 and ch5 catchup players, etc Canvas compatable services.

A bit like Freeview or Freesat where you can chose your own STB or TV (but soon with built in ethernet WiFi IPTV HD tuners and recording hard drive!, so badged ISP STBs will be a thing of the past).

The advantage for BT Vision and TalkTalk TV it should reduce IPTV operating costs and become more competative with Sky TV with better bundles for customers, which is why Sky TV does not like the idea!

But Canvas are hoping Sky will also join the platform and they said in September!
    http://www.projectcanvas.info/index.cfm/news/?mode=alias&alias=First-Stakeholder-Article
    The article in today’s FT, which outlines Sky’s objections to the proposals, highlighted a few misconceptions we would like to clarify on behalf of all the partners.

Canvas will not be a BBC platform. It is a proposal for a new joint venture – much like Freeview or Freesat – with commercial partners, and ITV, Five and BT have already committed their support. The BBC’s involvement in this venture is subject to BBC Trust approval and we expect their emerging conclusions in the Autumn.

Nor is it a “BBC standard” that the venture would adopt. A standard for connected TVs is being developed now with the Digital Television Group – this was always our intention and work has already begun. Our ambition is that the Canvas platform would be compliant with that standard.

The partners would welcome the support of any ISP (i.e. including Sky), who could help us reach these aims, by offering the platform to their subscribers or as a venture partner, provided their ambitions for a free-to-air platform and open competition match ours.
    I suspect Virgin, Tesco, Orange and O2/BE broadband, also Fetch TV will also soon join Canvas!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    youddiph wrote: »

If Talk Talk is having anything to do with Canvas then I am staying well clear. In fact if they are putting money into it I hope it all goes belly up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    If Talk Talk is having anything to do with Canvas then I am staying well clear. In fact if they are putting money into it I hope it all goes belly up.
    Why??
    Canvas is only a standard for getting STBs and new TVs working with live and on demand IPTV in the same way Freeview works for UHF DVB sets!

It could be soon quite a few TV sets might have Canvas WiFi standards to work with either BT Vision ot Talktalk "straight out the box" depending on your ISP bundle!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Why??
    Canvas is only a standard for getting STBs and new TVs working with live and on demand IPTV in the same way Freeview works for UHF DVB sets!

It could be soon quite a few TV sets might have Canvas WiFi standards to work with either BT Vision ot Talktalk "straight out the box" depending on your ISP bundle!

Why? because Talk Talk and car phone warehouse will have something to do with it.

My T.v is only 3 years old, I hope it will last for another 8-9 and then at the time I need to buy a new T.V I make sure if will not have any way of connecting to canvas.

I hate Talk Talk, i detest Car phone warehouse as a company and I want nothing to do with them, simple as that really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Talk Talk are providing investment into the service but they will have nothing to do with the implementation.

Technical Infrastructure for Canvas is being controlled by BT Wholesale and Broadcasters (BT Vision/Tiscali TV/BBC/C4/C5 etc) are using that infrastructure to host content (either free or paid for for the end user)

Tiscali and C5 joining up is evidence that Broadcasting experts believe Canvas will deliver a cheap distribution method with the potential for revenue through paid content.
  • Options
    michaelalanrmichaelalanr Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotty2808 wrote: »
    Talk Talk are providing investment into the service but they will have nothing to do with the implementation.

Technical Infrastructure for Canvas is being controlled by BT Wholesale and Broadcasters (BT Vision/Tiscali TV/BBC/C4/C5 etc) are using that infrastructure to host content (either free or paid for for the end user)

Tiscali and C5 joining up is evidence that Broadcasting experts believe Canvas will deliver a cheap distribution method with the potential for revenue through paid content.

yup and hopefully this will lead to more content for less money for "canvas" customers!

Mike :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotty2808 wrote: »
    Technical Infrastructure for Canvas is being controlled by BT Wholesale and Broadcasters (BT Vision/Tiscali TV/BBC/C4/C5 etc) are using that infrastructure to host content (either free or paid for for the end user).
    I thought Canvas was a standard for the IPTV TVs and STB's, it does not matter what IP network infrastructure; BT wholesale or Talktalk/Tiscali, is used for the link to the various TV content hosts either free (BBC, ITV, ch4 and ch5 player, etc) or paid for channel packages or on demand .

The only difference being BT ISP customers will use BT vision billing packages/bundles for paid for TV content!

and Talktalk/Tiscali will use Talktalk TV/ISP billing packages/ bundles for Talktalk, Tiscali, AOL, Pipex customers for paid for TV content!

Currently Tiscali have the advantage over BT in that Tiscali currently has agreement to carry Sky channels in it's bundles, and BT does not carry Sky channels, but how long this will last?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't care what they do in Canvas, how little or how much, Talk Talk still have something to do with it.

Anyway, Unless there is some sort of QOS for this canvas it will be a total waste of time, also people who have got a limit for the broadband will also find it a waste of itme.

I know that eventually BT want to replace it BTVision with it, so it you are with BT, it may be ok, but other providers it will be a waste of time unless they come up with some system to stop taking peoples data allowance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if Tiscali have some kind of QoS setup on the routers providedm, like BT has on the BT hub where I think 1.5Mbs is used for video streaming if the programme is not on Freeview? 1.5Mbs will just be OK for standard definition IPTV, but more is needed for HD!

However looks like Tiscali+ does download some HD programmes to hard drive out of hours for playback of on demand, rather than streaming!

The BBC iplayer was also initally meant to download on hard drive first for playback on a PC rather than streaming, this may be also part of the canvas spec for new TVs and STBs with built in hard drives to overcome problems where broadband speeds are potentially restricted!

I agree the main ISPs like BT, Talktalk, Orange and 02/BE will need to treat IPTV traffic carefully if they are going to successfully complete with Sky satellite and VM cable platforms!

However Sky are also getting into IPTV themselves with the Xbox and Fetch TV so they will also be interested in getting good IP connectivity!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8426104.stm
    The BBC trust has given it's go ahead but sounds from other posts, enlarged TalkTalk/Tiscali/AOL will need to ramp up customer service and technical support quite a bit, as well as the network, if it is going to offer IPTV and try and beat Sky!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8426104.stm
    The BBC trust has given it's go ahead but sounds from other posts, enlarged TalkTalk/Tiscali/AOL will need to ramp up customer service and technical support quite a bit, as well as the network, if it is going to offer IPTV and try and beat Sky!

BT as well, Because their customer service is awful, not as bad as Talk Talk, but then no one canm be that bad.

Still staying well clear of it./
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This might be of interest with relation to Tiscali/Talk Talk/Canvas:

http://bit.ly/8d9TRS

Regards,

David
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Eth ;)

I don't have any complaints about TTTV as it stands, except I'd like red button functionality - but that surely wouldn't qualify as "major" investment so there's still hope... isn't there?

(I really must get around to finding out exactly what Canvas is :o)

parthena
  • Options
    Forum Member
    parthena wrote: »
    Thanks, Eth ;)

I don't have any complaints about TTTV as it stands, except I'd like red button functionality - but that surely wouldn't qualify as "major" investment so there's still hope... isn't there?

(I really must get around to finding out exactly what Canvas is :o)

parthena

Hiya.

Yep - sums up my position too, although having the old (non-subscribed) TUTV box plumbed in as a spare I hop over to that for the red button stuff.

But it'd be nice not to have to. ;)

Canvas could be a very interesting proposition if it comes off - it's worth doing a bit of reading about it if you have the time.

Regards,

Dave.
  • Options
    iabw12iabw12 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    OK so TT aren't making a major investment in the TV service, but I don't know what that means in terms of output and product. Where's the HD that's been in the pipeline for a couple of years? Canvass is unlikely to go live much before December 2010. I've got the fancy plasma TV/home theatre set up etc. etc. and I'd really appreciate knowing when I can see it working at it's full potential with HD. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iabw12 wrote: »
    OK so TT aren't making a major investment in the TV service, but I don't know what that means in terms of output and product. Where's the HD that's been in the pipeline for a couple of years? Canvass is unlikely to go live much before December 2010. I've got the fancy plasma TV/home theatre set up etc. etc. and I'd really appreciate knowing when I can see it working at it's full potential with HD. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

I think they've started sending HD movies to the T+ box if you subscribe to the relevant channel - Movies Now I believe..

There's a promo running on the menu screen at the moment which mentions it.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

David.
  • Options
    iabw12iabw12 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, but I've checked and there appears to be only one HD movie - Harry Potter :eek: not really my cup of tea!