Why are the overs never given current songs

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,643
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
It's like all women over 25 love Whitney Houston songs when clearly isn't the case.

I think Sam is a good singer but I doubt Osborne is going to give her anything beyond about 1988.

Something like titanium would be a good choice for her

Comments

• WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You keep making threads that have a dig at Sharon? I don't get it?

Have you been paying attention to what the themes are this year? Hardly anything 'modern'. Forget the overs. The boys, the girls, the groups. Hardly any of them have had modern songs this year.
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No-one did any current songs this evening.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Band week don't generally have current songs anyway apart from Michael Buble's music
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean in general though I know obviously not this week.

Apparently overs in overseas X factors are allowed current songs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    I mean in general though I know obviously not this week.

Apparently overs in overseas X factors are allowed current songs

Again, have you actually watched the show this year? Have you been keeping track on the themes? No?
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually struggling to think of a current song performed by anyone since the lives started.

Skyfall, I guess, though I'm not sure that can count as current really given it riffs on the traditional Bond song style.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok going through this year there hasn't been a current lot of anything I agree.

However over the years no matter who the mentors are the give people sometimes just mid 20s songs that they would clearly not choose themselves.

It's a kind of unwritten factor rule
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tired old songs with a tiring old show
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok going through this year there hasn't been a current lot of anything I agree.

However over the years no matter who the mentors are the give people sometimes just mid 20s songs that they would clearly not choose themselves.

It's a kind of unwritten factor rule

So you make a thread bashing Sam and Sharon, then agree with people who say the themes haven't been current. Ok. Good. Thread done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you make a thread bashing Sam and Sharon, then agree with people who say the themes haven't been current. Ok. Good. Thread done.

I didn't bash sam:confused:
  • boshealectaboshealecta Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technically they didn't bash Sam just merely said they doubt she will get a modern song throughout the competition and wondered why the overs are rarely given a modern repetoire.

I think they year of Olly Murs, Danyl Johnson and Jamie Afro was a really good year for the overs. All seemed marketable and current.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like all women over 25 love Whitney Houston songs when clearly isn't the case.

I think Sam is a good singer but I doubt Osborne is going to give her anything beyond about 1988.

wasn't my heart go on done in 1997 beyonce listen emile clown so during the process sam bailey has sang current
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Most current music is shite
    Maybe the overs realise this and want to sing something not shite
  • InsomniacParadeInsomniacParade Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they year of Olly Murs, Danyl Johnson and Jamie Afro was a really good year for the overs. All seemed marketable and current.

Between them, they sang a grand total of 2 songs from the 21st century across all the live shows. And one of those was Whitney.

Matt Cardle on the other hand sang 3 songs from this century in the first four weeks and the other was from 1999. I wonder if he would have done that had they not raised the overs boundary to 28 that year.
  • InsomniacParadeInsomniacParade Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Love songs can be current. As can movies, to a lesser extent.

But there does seem to have been a production decision to force the acts to sing older songs this year. Resurrecting big band week. Changing "club classics" week to "disco week". 80s week. Great British Songbook will probably be classics + maybe Adele.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Because let's face it, current songs are in general total crap!

That's how we get great songs from the past: We take all the old songs and throw away the crap that was around at the time.
  • James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    If we look at this year themes: 80s week, disco and big band, how can you sing a current song there?

And she sang make you feel my love, yes the original is not current, but since Adele's version it's more fashionably retro than cruise ship.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they can't have the "WOW! You sang a song that you might not be familiar with" like they do with the young ones when singing songs from the year before their birth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sam hinting that she would like to Rhianna etc there.

Not a remote possibility of that happening unfortunately
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the fact they are singing old songs, it's the fact the styling, performance and everything about them is dated and old fashioned. It's perfectly possible to take an old song and bring it up to date or play on the retro element but most of the time,the overs appear to be like something from Seaside Special circa 1979
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's Osbourne - and it's rude to call SHARON by her surname.
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon Osbourne is a canny bitch! ;) Trust me, Sam is singing these old, hoary songs (and very well, incidentally) because they have huge audience recognition factor. She's not taking any risks at this stage in the competition simply because she knows Sam is a finalist for near certain. She doesn't want to show her hand - i.e. Sam doing a very current, unexpected song, like Titanium or Rhianna - before the semi-final at the earliest.

I'd put money on the fact that, at that point, Gary, Nicole and co will have to say things like 'I didn't see you as a current chart act, but now I realise you can be a huge star'!! Ta da - Sam gets the headlines as a 'believable pop star' going into the final week, and the public are conditioned to believe it, cos everyone is saying it! Then she gets to go into the final, sing one of the tired, old tunes as one of her 'previous week' songs, gets another modern pick as an additional song, and sings (probably) O Holy Night for her Christmas tune! Sam Wins X-Factor - Mrs O's job done! I'm not kidding about any of this - it will happen!