is it OK to half-charge an iPod

going out tonight and want to bring my ipoddy but battery is really low and just want to know if its ok to charge for about 3-4 hours instead of the normal 8. of course the battery will not be full. i just hope doing this doesnt damage the ipod itself?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wont "damage" it but certainly if you ever read up on rechargable batteries/ cells they will all say that they have a "memory" and that if you frequently do partial charges the batteries will over time only accept partial charges.

Personally I cant see why this would happen other than a battery will only take a certain number of charges and partial charges would mean you are charging it more frequently.
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Astaroth wrote:
    It wont "damage" it but certainly if you ever read up on rechargable batteries/ cells they will all say that they have a "memory" and that if you frequently do partial charges the batteries will over time only accept partial charges.

Personally I cant see why this would happen other than a battery will only take a certain number of charges and partial charges would mean you are charging it more frequently.

the memory effect that affects Nickel Cadmium batterys doesnt apply to lithium-ion, lithium polymer or niMh cells.
    Lithium based rechargeable batterys are best kept 'topped up' as a full discharge can damage them and shorten their life.

more info at http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
  • njeonjeo Posts: 6,341
    Forum Member
    I sometimes half charge the ipod and haven't had any problems. I usually leave it in the dock all the time so if there's only one or two half-charges every so often. I can't see it being a problem!