Options

Can I drive my car home if it fails its MOT?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can ask the garage to do a Pre-mot check. This way, if there are things need doing, you haven't failed a test, but you know what needs to be done to get it through a test.

If a car has a valid MOT, you are covered. If it fails it's test you have the option of driving it to another garage to have the repairs done and having it re-tested, or taking it home and driving it back for a re-test.

In reality, if you are stopped and your certificate is out of date, but you prove to the police you are only driving the car to go and get it re-tested or repaired, they will normally let you on your way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foogirl wrote: »
    You can ask the garage to do a Pre-mot check. This way, if there are things need doing, you haven't failed a test, but you know what needs to be done to get it through a test.

If a car has a valid MOT, you are covered. If it fails it's test you have the option of driving it to another garage to have the repairs done and having it re-tested, or taking it home and driving it back for a re-test.

In reality, if you are stopped and your certificate is out of date, but you prove to the police you are only driving the car to go and get it re-tested or repaired, they will normally let you on your way.

Covered for what?

If you get stopped at a routine check, or have an accident, and it's discovered your vehicle is unroadworthy, a current MOT isn't worth diddley squat.

As I and others have already said, an MOT only tests a vehicle on the day of the test, if after that a vehicle becomes unroadworthy, then it's down to the owner and, if an accident is caused because of that unroadworthiness, then it's likely the insurance company won't pay out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebel MC wrote: »
    Covered for what?

If you get stopped at a routine check, or have an accident, and it's discovered your vehicle is unroadworthy, a current MOT isn't worth diddley squat.

As I and others have already said, an MOT only tests a vehicle on the day of the test, if after that a vehicle becomes unroadworthy, then it's down to the owner and, if an accident is caused because of that unroadworthiness, then it's likely the insurance company won't pay out.
    You are covered under the law that stipulates you must have a valid MOT certificate. You will not be prosecuted for not having an MOT certificate.

Failure of an MOT, does not automatically make a car unroadworthy to the point it will cause an accident. Your car can fail its MOT for a number of minor points, which would not cause an accident. Of course it is up to the owner, having taken advice from the garage who has carried out the check. But if you fail on emissions, or because of a faulty wiper blade, and a blown bulb etc, the car is not unroadworthy in a way which is unsafe and can be safely driven.

You will also find that if you have an MOT certificate in the stop check scenario you describe, the police will look far more favourably on you, than if you don't. Not having the MOT certificate will attract an added charge to the one for driving a car in an unroadworthy condition.

The insurance company will refuse to pay out under many different circumstances which have nothing to do with the MOT. The OP didn't ask about insurance payouts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    With a simple search, I found that:-
    With no Road Tax and or MOT
    That you may Drive to and from a prebooked MOT test.
    Yes, even from a failed MOT. so long as it's going to be placed off the road, private road, driveway, garage. etc.

however, you must have insurance to drive it, i.e. have fully comp ins on any other car.
    however you would be Driving the Non MOT'd car on 3rd Party only insurance.

If the police stop you they will contact the MOT Test Centre, Garage to check it's been booked in.
    9/10 they will let you carry on. They may also check that you are insured on another car Fully comp.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oo7 wrote: »
    With a simple search, I found that:-
    With no Road Tax and or MOT
    That you may Drive to and from a prebooked MOT test.
    Yes, even from a failed MOT. so long as it's going to be placed off the road, private road, driveway, garage. etc.

however, you must have insurance to drive it, i.e. have fully comp ins on any other car.

If the police stop you they will contact the MOT Test Centre, Garage to check it's been booked in.
    9/10 they will let you carry on. They may also check that you are insured on another car Fully comp.

Interesting.

Why the need to bump a 5 year old thread though?
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Interesting.

Why the need to bump a 5 year old thread though?

My thoughts too!
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    personally i cant see why there isnt a reminder sent out to the registered keeper the same way as you are reminded about tax , especially now as all mot stations are computerised , it is a legal requirement same as tax , so why no reminder :confused:

They do here in Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is now an MOT text reminder service:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_192284
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not all comprehensive policies have the DOC extension, and not all TP policies don't.
  • Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nicemms wrote: »
    I don't think you can drive it home if it fails its MOT, even if you take it in early.

of course you can, you can take it up one month before and if it fails and you don't want the garage to fix it there and then you still got a month left on the old mot
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Incorrect. The subject vehicle must have it's own insurance for your "other cars cover" to be valid - if it is not your own car. If it is your own car, you will need a policy which covers it specifically.

And you may carry out repairs at home yourself (provided you are competent and confident), a point missed by those who said you can drive it from the MOT testing station to another garage.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    RoundRobin wrote: »
    Quite a few people do that but the fact that it has just failed an MOT is a testament to the car being unroadworthy, regardless as to whether it's MOT certificate still has some time left on it.

so a car with a slightly cracked wing mirror is "too dangerous to drive" then?
  • Options
    Timmy O'TooleTimmy O'Toole Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    I took my car for an MOT today, a month before the current one runs out. It needs some welding on one of the sills. I asked if I could carry on driving it until they could arrange their welding bloke to come in, and he said "Yeah, that's fine. It's still got a month's test on it."